A/C Compressor Cut-Off Switch

I am putting a new A/C compressor in my Tahoe when I swap in my 6 litre. The A/C compressor does not have a cut-off switch, this is installed in the back of the unit.

Figured I'd get a new one. These are listed for my model vehicle (2005 Tahoe 5.3). Does anyone have any idea on how to determine which one is needed besides removing an existing one? Do the colors make a difference? I'd assume with the colors being refrenced, they do.

1675268810068.jpg

By 2005 GM had probably stopped using a switch and started using a transducer. Do you have an existing connector for this switch and is it 3 terminals or two?
So to be honest I do not know if I have a plug going into my existing A/C compressor on the truck now. So perhaps I don't have this at all?

I am only going off of the leaflet that came with the new compressor that said to x-fer the A/C switch from the old compressor. Possibly they put that in there to account for older uses of the compressor (older model years)?

I do have this style switch near my accumulator.

1675269383068.jpg

I should try to look at the back of my A/C compressor and see if anything is there or just a plug.

I am only going off of the leaflet that came with the new compressor that said to x-fer the A/C switch from the old compressor. Possibly they put that in there to account for older uses of the compressor (older model years)?

Yes, based on my experience with older GM vehicles.

Assuming that I have located the correct picture of the rear of your compressor on Rockauto, the circled port is where the sensor or switch would go if it was used for your model year:

1675270940506.png

If there is a high pressure switch in the compressor it will be in the rear head of the compressor and retained with a snap ring. Either order by vin from a GM dealer or match the color of your existing switch, different colors are different cut off pressures. Your truck may or may not have one. The threaded switch with a hex on it is the cycling switch that goes on the accumulator.

I'm assuming that port on the rear of the compressor is on the high side, and it's possible that GM put the switch or sensor on the high side manifold instead of the compressor on your model year.

None of the used compressors listed on Ebay that fit a 2005 Chevy Tahoe have a sensor or switch on them. I looked at least 20 of them.

Back