a '17 Accord CVT's issue

But have you been a regular service customer? If not, low chance of goodwill.
the car was serviced there for the most part; the car was originally bought at the same dealership

it seems like they may be doing some if car has up to 80K miles on the odometer

so its pending activity...

an Update:

i got the call today from Honda corporate and they denied any involvement to my CVT issue as i'm a secondary owner, yet not even suggesting to refund the diagnostic fee i paid upfront, meh; so no Honda for me anymore

i took the car to a local transmission place and ordered a refurbished CVT to be replaced with in coming several days

an Update:

i got the call today from Honda corporate and they denied any involvement to my CVT issue as i'm a secondary owner, yet not even suggesting to refund the diagnostic fee i paid upfront, meh; so no Honda for me anymore.

That’s a new bit of information, why didn’t you release that upfront?

Second owners generally don’t receive goodwill assistance.

of course I did here as well

pretty straight forward and honest, believing if i did disclose those facts, they'll look after the product not the owner

but i was wrong 🫢

A little over 75K miles on my 17 Accord Sport SE. I am the SECOND owner. No problems so far.

Bought it with just over 29K miles in it. Did a 3X drain/fill with Amsoil cvt fluid at 32K miles, a single d/f with Amsoil around 30K miles later. Will do again around the 100K mile mark and filters too.

Hoping I never run into that dreaded code or anything else.

my old transmission is out finally; the repaired one took its place, the car drives basically like new again

overall, very pleased with the job being done

one thing not so sure, while a mechanic was working on the transmission, probably he leant on the fender above the front tire to much causing a dent right above tire then he tried to flatten it out but very poorly done, in size of an chicken egg. I don't have an image due to dusk but I took the car to a car wash place and I picked on that immediately; No big deal but its there

total; $4200.00 out of pocket at a local AAMCO

IMG_2537.jpeg
IMG_2532.jpeg

it started immediately delivering better gas milage tonight; once i started having issue with it back in December, its MPGs tanked

$4200 is a lot of repair cost to shell out for a 5 year old car! It’ll take a few years and miles to make that $4200 investment worth it. Keep it running!

my car is back to shop again; it was not fixed appropriately to begin with; it developed a leak after the replacement of transmission

second opportunity; I was devastated, very few do his/her job correctly out there

View attachment 180228View attachment 180230
So, Honda wanted $6011 to replace the CVT earlier in this thread. This would have bypassed your $1800 hack mechanic that replaced unnecessary parts and this shop which charged $4200, for a $6000 total.

At least you saved $11.

Last edited:
well, I opt for a route with least resistance that could pay a big dividend; however, it turned out i was wrong
who could have believed the transmission needed to be replaced at 66K miles in 2017 Accord!??
in the end, it cost me dearly, needless to say; but who do you trust out there for real :unsure:
i paid 2x diagnostics $175 each, 2x ATF flushes $375 each, additional $1800 for valve body control, and the latest $4200 charge
Now, we contemplating very seariously of disposing it completely
But, its just a fact of the life, sometime you may lose, other times you may win; who knows?!?

well, I opt for a route with least resistance that could pay a big dividend; however, it turned out i was wrong
who could have believed the transmission needed to be replaced at 66K miles in 2017 Accord!??
in the end, it cost me dearly, needless to say; but who do you trust out there for real :unsure:
i paid 2x diagnostics $175 each, 2x ATF flushes $375 each, additional $1800 for valve body control, and the latest $4200 charge
Now, we contemplating very seariously of disposing it completely
But, its just a fact of the life, sometime you may lose, other times you may win; who knows?!?
At least AAMCO should be willing to fix it properly for no cost to you. At this point, you're all in with it, and the car does have a new/rebuilt CVT which should provide good service for several years. I would just drive it and enjoy. I know it has to be frustrating for you.

Of the three "shops" you have mentioned in this thread, the dealer is by far the most trustworthy and reputable. And I generally dislike them. The independent shop that I mentioned earlier in the thread in Chamblee is fairly reputable, but I have no idea how close/far you are to them.

Good luck.

only if i had known... but life does not work that way

Honda wanted well over $6K and that was estimate only, i'm sure it would be close to $7K after all being said and done; however, i'd have peace of mind at the appropriate price of course made by dealer

I have two Hondas with the same drivetrain combo and the other one does not give me a headache whatsoever, while Accord has its engine in better condition somehow, more durable, a longer life ahead of it i'd say

also, I could pass on and do not touch the transmission, i believe car would be just fine but since it is my daily driver with visible the code P0741, i just wanted to fix it, and now i have another pair of problem, but hey life is still good!

All you can do is wait for the new unit to be installed and move on in life. Drive it a couple years and feel like you got some value out of it.

I had a 17 sport se with same drivetrain. I’m glad after this thread to have traded it on a VW GLI when I did and hopefully avoided cvt disaster. I liked the car just always felt like it was missing 75-100 hp to make it fun

my thing is, ill be getting it back by the end of the day tomorrow. Ill be closely watching underneath it, if its starts to sip, ill be getting rid of it unfortunately.

AAMCO put it on CarFax already, as transmission replaced; yet, the car drives like a charm

we own free and clear title of it, the repair balance is $0 too, and i can get at Carmax or Carvana easily $15K for it; if i would go to the private party maybe even more. The car as is, falls at that sweet spot below $20K and sure it can be sold in no time by myself or a major used cars chains out there

Back