98 Buick lesabre,p0420 code, o2 sensors?cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this something I can do myself,does everyone think? I have a a.c. Delco digital torque adapter for ratchet..I have done struts,oil changes,brakes,I can flair brake lines pretty much spot on..I've done brake bleeds,calipers,... Putting everything back...think this is something an average driveway tinkerer can do like me? The lower manifold gaskets? Or have a shop do it? Feel 60% confident I can do it

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The main thing is not to mix brands. It can cause the coolant to foam. I use Dexcool for the color.

You can mix brands, not types. Mix types and the coolant will turn into a thick brown sludge.

So...think I could do this job,myself?or have a shop do it?I feel at least 62% confident I could do it

So all I nred,is the upper hasket, bottom with side plastic things that come with it,the metal elbows, black rtv ,silicone for elbow...what else do I need? New o rings perhaps? Anything else?some kits have,and some less stuff.

The torque is pretty much critical on those gaskets. I wouldn't trust that ACDelco digital torque adapter. ACDelco makes excellent parts, but their tools are not anywhere near professional grade. I recommend an inch pound torque wrench by Precision Instruments. It'll cost you about $100 but you won't have to worry about gasket failures do to an inaccurate torque wrench. It's also critical that you get all the intake manifold bolts clean. A small toothbrush style wire brush works wonders for that. I like the ones from NAPA with the blue plastic handle.

I believe I am looking coolant,put about 6_8 is in last night,derive 4 miles too work, check coolant lever was down about 6 _ 8 ozs. Think I'll make it a week or 2,waiting on ordered parts? I have another torque wrench, bought at autozone like 12 years ago, click tyoe.think that I do it? I! Assuming this would be a $600 job,so wanna save the cash,do it myself.

Like like Napa and autozone do not carry the doorman 40765hp elbow,gonna have too order this all.

Last edited:
You can order the elbows along with the other parts from Amazon as one shipment. I look at doing the job myself as a legitimate excuse for buying professional grade tools. The money you're saving pays for the tools.

Yup! I am almost,not quite,I can torque the bottom gasket bolts down, but I've be using the a.c. Delco torque adapter for ratchet. Seems too have very high acvuracy,from YouTube mechanics and others who have used it!

It's nerve racking,because it had better work after inputting it all back together,you know!that's my nerves,right now

I have to mention something: I didn't use the Dorman elbows. I used OEM. I didn't want to take a chance on the Dormans. But the first time I did it I applied RTV to the elbows like some guys recommend. Big mistake, that leaked. I then pulled the belt tensioner assembly back off and started over. I got all the RTV out of the holes with Scotch-Brite. This time I installed the elbows with Dow Corning 111 on both the holes and the elbows. No leaks. Dow Corning 111 and O-rings are best friends.

Don't use OEM elbows! They are plastic and will eventually fail like the originals. Dorman metal elbows with AC Delco o rings work best when used with the Dow silicon grease and make sure the holes are clean. If you get the Fel pro metal backed LIM gasket set, it will have the black RTV, injector o rings, both types of end seals, thermostat gasket(I would change thermostat too)and throttle body gasket. The grey works UIM will have a new gasket. You shouldn't have to buy any of the small parts.

Last edited:
Yeah I think I'm gonna get the help to kit ,comes with new injector orings,other o rings and gadkets,from amazon. And the upper gadket. And order the doorman 47065hp elbows. I saw a vid,someone did on this enghine,worth the doorman elbow...he used silicone i helive,and just pushed it in. No o rings or hadkeys..when I install this doorman elbow,I'll need a gasket or o ring?

Last edited:
And pretty much planning on using a.c. Delco digital torque adapter. Too many good re iews,on Amazon and YouTube on this item,from mechanics as w ell. Believe it will work.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Don't use OEM elbows! They are plastic and will eventually fail like the originals.

Didn't GM make some improvements on the elbows ? Seems like I heard somewhere that they did.

What size bolts,are the lower intake manifold bolts?believe theirs 12 of them. 4 on the top,inside corners,and the rest on the outside of lower intake plenum. What mm size are they?

Originally Posted By: ziggy
What size bolts,are the lower intake manifold bolts?

5/16-18 x 1-1/4. Socket size 3/8.

Upper intake manifold you'll need an 8mm and a 10mm socket.

Fuel rail nuts take a 10mm socket.

Could I use a I'm bolt,for the 5/16-18x1-1/4? Not familiar with that boltsize.like what I'm ratchet socket would i use in those?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back