98 Buick lesabre,p0420 code, o2 sensors?cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I did it! Ordered the performance upper set. Too me,the upper part,on the bottom,has smaller holes,theirs 2 for the c oolant. The at P ones looked wider,amazon.com,and the doorman ones appeared half moon shaped.the performance ones,appeared to me,too have those 2 rubber grommet looking coolant gaskets in the plenum underneath,the gadke t itself sits on.so! Waiting for them too see my order and sooner t he better.

Follow the manufacturer's directions. Modern rubber gaskets seldom require sealant, and using it is counter-productive. If a sealant is called for, it will be silicone. Indian Head is for antique machines with paper gaskets.

An ok. Use feel better with a sealant applied.saw a prepared YouTube vid, right stuff,just apply and bolt together and go. Or the red stuff.

However good you may feel has no effect on whether or not it will leak.

Most car repair videos on YouTube are somewhat wrong, many are drastically wrong.

So I've heard.the quote a few YouTube vids i watched,many many times,regarding the buick, all said with a new upper plenum,too just take out of his basically,and install. I'm my upper plenum,on the bottom, 2. Holes,those holes to over the 2 holes on top of lower manifold.thie r filled with coolant. The bottom of my original old pkenum.I noted,had 2 rubber plugs, with a hole in them that deals it too top of intake, so coolant passes through them into upper plenum. It appeared to me, amazon, rockauto, none of the plenum kits had those rubber plugs with holes.just 2 holes in the plenum. So wondering if it's something I can get at autozone,or napa,or advance aut o.
I'm each case,they all said too upper plenum, torque too 89 inch lbs, and lower,too 189 inch lbs.

One of the rubber pkugs,from those 2 holes,they fit into the 2 big holes in plenum gasket,was in bad shape and fell off.looked semi melted. So I managed too get it back in,temporarily. Worked for a few days,then del came back on. Coolant leaking again. So wondering if anyone knows,if the new performance plkenum,provides ,installed,comes with,those 2 rubber plugs? If not,not sure where too get them.

Their o rings! Rubber o rings, thev2 I'm talking about in the upper plenum.theirs 2 for the coolant.the new performance comes with those o rings,right? That's what was leaking! Found as YouTube vid.
If not,can I get the orings,from auto zone? The o ring on bot Tom of plenum was shot,thermostat side. Or closest too it.

Got the kit zperformance.it comes with 3 thin bolts,thie r black.have a tiny hex head..those are for the the holes where throttle body goes,correct? And 2 silver guide looking pins..wife base,then narrows.what are those for? Egr pipe replacement? Or other use?

Ah I see..I was able too screw one in.did it on all 3 holes,playing with it. Turned it till it stopped. I need a ratchet,or no? What size inverted ties but do I need?

And..should I be using loctite,on those 3 bolts? Or is it not necessary.it's just too hold the throttle body. Just tried threading one of those 3 bolts into front of new upper plkenum..it stops,just as the middle of bolt,that is smooth,not threaded, stopos.the back,where nut is,the head of the tor x bolt,is flush with the back body and bolkt.i don't think I'm supposed too tighten it beyond that...or yes?

Which brand of upper manifold did you buy? Did it come with instructions?

It sounds like they want you to use those like regular bolts and put them in from the throttle body side, rather than the stud arrangement that is on the original GM or the Dorman.

Inverted Torx is also called "external Torx". Sockets are sold almost everywhere mechanic's tools are sold. They are usually sold in a set but take one of the bolts to the store to be sure you are getting the socket that fits.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back