900 Miles in 1 year

The 2016 Jetta 1.4T we have is due for an oil change per cluster reminder.

Debating if I should actually change the oil or not. Had some Liquid moly in it last June, I rarely drive it. Mainly to pick up food or sit in traffic. Its a city car no matter what with a lot of stop-and-go. I'm thinking i should change it for peace of mind but also I'm annoyed at myself for only putting 900 miles on it.

Whats the cheapest spec oil i can get from Walmart? I called dealership and they are asking $10.50 a quart.

Debating if I should actually change the oil or not. Had some Liquid moly in it last June, I rarely drive it. Mainly to pick up food or sit in traffic. Its a city car no matter what with a lot of stop-and-go. I'm thinking i should change it for peace of mind but also I'm annoyed at myself for only putting 900 miles on it.

Whats the cheapest spec oil i can get from Walmart? I called dealership and they are asking $10.50 a quart.
What spec does your car reference? Mine calls for VW 502 and I use Castrol 5w40. I think it's $30 for the 5qt at Walmart.

My in-laws bought a new Corolla last year. They drive about 500 miles a year. They're 84 years old and never plan to change the oil. I don't see anything wrong with that.
I see what you did there...

So you're assuming THEY will kick the bucket before the car does?
I would. And unless he knows the car is going to his wife as inheritance there's no bothering trying to take care of something some one else is gonna get for free.

Annual LOF and safety inspection is always a good idea. Every OEM holds this position for a good reason.
7qfohc.jpg

I would. And unless he knows the car is going to his wife as inheritance there's no bothering trying to take care of something some one else is gonna get for free.
I love my inlaws. They'd still be driving their 96 Corolla with 50k miles on it except it got hit and runned while parked in front of their house.

My father in law stopped driving a couple years ago. He can't see and react quickly enough. Good on him for recognizing this himself.

My mother in law just recovered from cancer and has other things to worry about than the car. I'll be retired in a few years and can worry about their car then.

I just purchased a Corvette that had perfectly clean oil in it however the OLM stated change oil soon. The car had sat for 6 years without being driven very much and only occasionally. I drove it 535 miles home and changed the oil a couple days later even though it looked brand new. I usually like to know how old the oil is. I probably could have gone a few thousand miles on the old oil however it bothered me not knowing how old the oil was or what brand was in the vehicle.

My in-laws bought a new Corolla last year. They drive about 500 miles a year. They're 84 years old and never plan to change the oil. I don't see anything wrong with that.
I think all new Toyota's come with the basic ToyotaCare which means everything should be free at the dealer for the first 2 years if they can get it there. If they still have the window sticker it would say, or you could call and ask.

Also technically if they don't go in Toyota could void their warranty if they chose to.

We don't drive our GT500 much and don't abuse it when we do. I change the oil/filter before it gets put away for the Winter but the oil change reminder must be time based as well, because it'll want me to change the oil if it has been 6 months but only 400 miles, so I just reset it to 100% and change it once a year.

Don't bother. Oil is fine; it's a High detergency , Long life lubricant. Don't waste time or money.
Maybe every 2 or 3 years. I worry more about moisture affect on the oil filter paper after 3 years.

Find some thing else more fun to do :)

Back