'82 Ford 200 (3.3L) I6 - Front Main / Timing Cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thankfully I was wise enough to keep my old one until I knew the car was running right. Took it to a pro, as I'm out of my depth in jetting, etc.

He thinks the carb just isn't set up for this engine (jetted wrong), and is re-building my old one. This guy rebuilds carbs for show cars, and has LOTS of pictures to back up his claims. He's worked on much nicer, and much more complex than this one barrel, so I'm excited to get it back.

For now, the car starts and runs fine, strangely enough, although I'm only starting it when I need it moved. It reeks of gas, even when shut off. It could kill mosquitoes in a 3-block radius when running.

This has been a hard lesson in decision making, and illustrates that I'm really out of my league trying to bring this old car back to life. My thought process was: Why rebuild this old POS carb when I can just get a beautiful, fully-rebuilt unit? I thought I was doing the better thing. It's ironic that I'm ending up rebuilding anyway. It didn't occur to me that they would have set this carb (AUTOLINE C7414) up to run so rich on an inline 6. How much larger an engine could a one-barrel possibly be put on?

Not sure if it'll be done in time to meet Rock Auto's return deadline, but at this point, I'm not sure I care. I guess that's what Craigslist is for.

Originally Posted By: WylieCoyote
Thankfully I was wise enough to keep my old one until I knew the car was running right. Took it to a pro, as I'm out of my depth in jetting, etc.

He thinks the carb just isn't set up for this engine (jetted wrong), and is re-building my old one. This guy rebuilds carbs for show cars, and has LOTS of pictures to back up his claims. He's worked on much nicer, and much more complex than this one barrel, so I'm excited to get it back.

For now, the car starts and runs fine, strangely enough, although I'm only starting it when I need it moved. It reeks of gas, even when shut off. It could kill mosquitoes in a 3-block radius when running.

This has been a hard lesson in decision making, and illustrates that I'm really out of my league trying to bring this old car back to life. My thought process was: Why rebuild this old POS carb when I can just get a beautiful, fully-rebuilt unit? I thought I was doing the better thing. It's ironic that I'm ending up rebuilding anyway. It didn't occur to me that they would have set this carb (AUTOLINE C7414) up to run so rich on an inline 6. How much larger an engine could a one-barrel possibly be put on?

Not sure if it'll be done in time to meet Rock Auto's return deadline, but at this point, I'm not sure I care. I guess that's what Craigslist is for.

hey Wylie! Thanks for the update, good to hear from you!

lol.. well at least it can kill mosquitoes in a 3 block radius!
grin.gif
one good thing!

I, too, am glad you kept the old carb, this is exactly why I recommended you keep that. It's also why all of us had second thoughts about remanufactured/refurbished carbs. I don't think you're out of your league in decision making, we've all bought into the reman part once in our DIY career. And we've all seen how bad they really are. My own was a joke of a time with reman fuel injectors. Don't ever make that mistake! Basically they can make it look at pretty on the outside but cannot replace the bad o-rings on the inside! And after the car's performance isn't that great, then you realize you've wasted all this time/money on a junk part. Would've been cheaper overall never to go the reman route!

You saw first hand how terrible the reman companies are! Either rebuild your own or buy new is my thinking now. And in your case, you can rebuild your carb! Nothing wrong with yours physically all it needs is some new internal parts.

I am really happy you found a guy who can rebuild carbs and knows what he's doing!! That's awesome! And yeah a one barrel carb isn't that complex, you're right. Shouldn't be difficult for the guy to rebuild yours. Oh and to answer your question, your carb was ONLY on the 82 3.3L 200ci engine, nothing else (from what I know).

The reman company didn't do anything to the carb, that's the really sad part. Here you think they jetted it wrong, no.. they didn't do much to it, just resold a used/old part! See how sick that really is?

You could always keep the reman carb, have the rebuilder look at it, and possible rebuild that as a spare as long as the housing is ok.

so again, no need to beat yourself up about restoring this car. You now have first hand experience with what the rest of us were saying about reman parts! Not even worth the time to look at them!

Oh and I completely agree with Trav, I think this new guy will do a great job!

Last edited:
Got the carb back way ahead of schedule. Will put on tonight after work. Here's to hoping it works as good as it looks! What an amazing transformation.

Got the carb back way ahead of schedule. Will put on tonight after work. Here's to hoping it works as good as it looks! What an amazing transformation.
thumbsup2.gif
banana2.gif
here's to hoping it works! I think it will. Yeah that was definitely a quick turn around! Guess for a pro, the 1 barrel carb is easy to work on!

can't wait to hear how it works!!

Running fine! I think the idle circuit may be a little rich, but that's an easy adjustment when I have the time. Or when the new owner has the time. :)

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4713623/FS:_1982_Mustang_GL_3.3_Auto_C#Post4713623

Thanks for all your help and encouragement. This car would be much better served by someone who has the space, tools, and a lift. It could really be turned into something nice by the right person. Perfect for a V-8 swap and suspension improvements, as the structure is solid and it needs very little, cosmetically. Or just drive it....everything works. Money no object, I'd toss in a Coyote and Maximum Motorsports front & rear suspension components, but leave everything else stock. But for every 1,000 people, there's 1,000 ideas for these little classics.

She'll be missed, but I'm looking forward to having one lane freed up in my driveway.

Last edited:
Running fine! I think the idle circuit may be a little rich, but that's an easy adjustment when I have the time. Or when the new owner has the time. :)

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4713623/FS:_1982_Mustang_GL_3.3_Auto_C#Post4713623

Thanks for all your help and encouragement. This car would be much better served by someone who has the space, tools, and a lift. It could really be turned into something nice by the right person. Perfect for a V-8 swap and suspension improvements, as the structure is solid and it needs very little, cosmetically. Or just drive it....everything works. Money no object, I'd toss in a Coyote and Maximum Motorsports front & rear suspension components, but leave everything else stock. But for every 1,000 people, there's 1,000 ideas for these little classics.

She'll be missed, but I'm looking forward to having one lane freed up in my driveway.

hey Wylie.. you're most welcome for the help I could give ya! I never thought I'd be giving advice this much later in life, about that engine! Glad that my advice could help ya. But I do agree there comes a point where you just say it's more than you want to put into it. I don't blame ya. It got like that for my 82 as well. But hey at least we were all able to give advice that allowed it to get it running so much better for the next owner! You did replace everything I did back then too. That's what is amazing, exactly the same issues in the same order.

I do hope it finds a good home! Very rare and well taken care of 82 Mustang!

Also glad to hear that the rebuilder did a great job on the carb! At least now you get to see what it was supposed to be. Which is nice, because when it ran well then it wasn't a problem, but that's why I don't miss carburetors, they get too picky. I like fuel injection just put the key in, start it. Much more reliable. Especially up here in Michigan where the weather can go from freezing to warm in a day. Carbs don't seem to like those temp/humidity changes where fuel injection is no problem because the computer can adjust everything on the fly.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane, was fun while it lasted! You brought back some nice memories for me!
grin2.gif
10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back