700R4 pan removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 for just change oil and see what you can get out of it. Anything is a bonus. Might go a couple miles or a couple years more.

Stupid design with no drain plug though. Very annoying. Agree with who said to get a new pan with a drain plug. Definitely if you replace/rebuild, I'd be making a way to drain.

looks like tcc is shot.
thats what took out every 200/700r4 i have had to rebuild.
the metal fouls the vb and causes the driveability issues.
as for them being junk that has NOT been my experience.
i seem to get around 300k from one before they die like the one shown here.
several came to me at 150k with nasty fluid/filter and still went 300k.
the vans usually go 400k before the engines get tired and lose a cylinder or 2.
by then the rust has rendered them unsound and i part them out.i use the tranny in a nice clean one bought cheaply due to a dead tranny.

Originally Posted By: exShuttlemech
Or, you could leave the internal filter out and plumb in an external spin on oil filter and change it frequently.

Then that metal goes for the pump, and it's lights out.

I would just replace the fluid and filter, and hope for the best.

How many miles are on this transmission now, and how many miles 2 years ago when you changed the fluid and filter?

Originally Posted By: Fsharp
New filter and fluid and see how it goes. I’d check the throttle valve cable is adjusted and working right that controls a lot on the 700r4.

Also get it a "red stripe" modulator for $10. It's adjustable and can stiffen the shifts and buy you time.

Well, I buttoned it up today. New filter from Napa, and I used the rest of my BG ATF and a can of BG ATC+ to give it it's best shot.

It drives in first and reverse with no slipping, but hesitates going into second and will not shift into third or fourth at all.

I checked the TV cable adjustment and it looks good to my eyes. Held the tab, pushed the jacket all the way back, then went to WOT.

Was worth a shot. I'll do some saving while I get the rest of the truck back together and have a rebuild done.

700r4 doesn’t have a vacuum modulator. Cool that adjusting the TV valve cable did it.

If you end up getting a new pan for it I like the derale cooling tube ones.

The engine and trans (obviously... lol) are tired. I'm going to pinch my pennies and replace them both with something a little newer and fuel injected.

No rush. I really have no need for a truck so it probably won't even see 500 miles a year. Just wanted to hold on to pop's old pickup and make it something nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back