623,000 mile Dodge Dakota on 0w-30 sythetic!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lot's of varnish which is surprising for Amsoil or so we are lead to believe.

Thats very surprising for the transmission.Today`s trannies are certainly not the best they ever were.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nayov

But did you see his super long OCI's? Upwards of 100,000 miles using the bypass filter system.

Not recommended and if he had followed the manufacturers max OCI limit I bet it would have been much cleaner looking.

Last edited:
I'm far from an AmsOil fan, and that's a good story, and certainly less varnish than I would expect even if the top end was cleaned up at 350,000 during the head replacement.

Thats a Magnum 3.9(1998) is not really not the same engine as a LA engine.Its a WHOLE differnt design.I don't think as durable.If I'm not mistaken the LA engines are the OLD style like used in 70s through the early 90s.Anyhow the MAGUMN engines are on the list of sludge prone.Not bad but due to leaky intake plenums and the pcv system had a internal moisture issue.Thats also a TON of miles on oil and engine in reference to VARNISH with AMSOIL.The Magnums are prone to cracked heads also but usually a LOT sooner then over a half a million miles.The owner of that truck posts on one of the not used much Dodge sites.www.dodgetrucks.org

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nayov

Mind if I clean the coffee off of my monitor? You got me with that one.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Thats very surprising for the transmission.Today`s trannies are certainly not the best they ever were.

i agree!!!! can he be onto something? its says in the article he changed the trans fluid 3 times more that recommended. i don't no what "recommended" is. but it goes to show if you keep good clean tranny fluid in and don't drive like your 16 things will last!

Dosen't state WHAT trans fliud he used or what is three times as often.That AS often is based on what? Severe or lite usage.I use Amsoil ATF and was doing a fliud exchange every 60k or so in a 1998 Dodge 1500 318 auto truck.If it had been SEVERE it would have been about every 30k or so by the BOOK usinging ATF+4.On a 1985 Caprice 700r4 I did the same every 100k all interstate.

Last edited:
Speaking of ATF... I changed the ATF in my Santa Fe this weekend with some more Amsoil ATF. The ATF came out cherry red as it was flowing into the waste container. I was surprised as how clean it was after 60K KM (almost 40K miles). The dealer stuff would have been a dark maroon colour by now. There was also less wear material on the drain plug then with the dealer stuff.

I'm running this fill to 100K KM (60K miles) and if it still looks clean I might go even further.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Speaking of ATF... I changed the ATF in my Santa Fe this weekend with some more Amsoil ATF. The ATF came out cherry red as it was flowing into the waste container. I was surprised as how clean it was after 60K KM (almost 40K miles). The dealer stuff would have been a dark maroon colour by now. There was also less wear material on the drain plug then with the dealer stuff.

I'm running this fill to 100K KM (60K miles) and if it still looks clean I might go even further.

Compromise,change it at 50k
grin2.gif

Thats funny. I took it to mean he went 3 times longer than the manufacturer interval for trans fluid changes.

Thats awesome. My 99 3.9 Dodge Conversion Van has 157k on it and runs great. I drive it everyday. I was told by some Dodge people that the tranny was bullett proof. Mine is original and shifts flawlessly. The engine has been on dino all its life and is currently using Pennzoil Yellow Bottle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hounddog
Dosen't state WHAT trans fliud he used or what is three times as often. Severe or lite usage.If it had been SEVERE it would have been about every 30k or so by the BOOK usinging ATF+4.

i think he was using amsoil synthetic atf also? but correct me if i am wrong but 98 came with atf+3 not +4. i think the atf+3 schedules were lower?

also 100,000 miles on 0w-30 synthetic is a alot more than i can stomach! i don't care what the oil sample said! but ,like other said, that is where the varnish came from! i would like to see the motor if he changed the oil at amsoil's max mile recommendation! but i think alot will agree varnish doesn't cause any problems! mike

Lousy pictures, but the varnish doesn't look that bad. The guy changed the oil how many times in 11 years and 623,000 miles?

Maybe 6-8 times? A lot of varnish. You guys slay me.

Pretty sure the varnish killed the engine!! BITOG logic...

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Lousy pictures, but the varnish doesn't look that bad. The guy changed the oil how many times in 11 years and 623,000 miles?

Maybe 6-8 times? A lot of varnish. You guys slay me.

Pretty sure the varnish killed the engine!! BITOG logic...

LOL, I know eh? 100K mile intervals? I think it looks pretty bloody good!

That does not suprise me. I worked with a guy at GM that was let go about 2 years before I was. He had a Dakota with the 3.9V6 and a 318 Transmission. It had over 300,000 miles on it and the transmission. You should have seen the massive home made bumper and trailer set up that farmer had on this thing. The first 100,000 where put on it by the farmer he bought it off of. That farmer if I rember right used M1 10W30 and did some extended oil changes. I think he was useing some type of synthetic inthe transmission as well. When my co-worker bought it he went to dino oil and 3000 miles oil changes and OEM transmission fluid and filters every 50,000 miles. So I know these engines can do it. He neverhad any internal engine or transmission problems just alternators,starter's,water pumps,brakes etc.......I do know he drove about 50-60 miles each way to and from work and it was all HWY. I never saw the inside of the thing so I cannot comment on the insides.

I worked with another guy that bought a F250 off another co worker. The first owner put close to 200,000 miles on it and was an Amsoil Dealer and always used Amsoils products in it. It had a 351 in it. When my co -worker bought it off the other he too switched it over to dino and 3000 miles oil changes and OEM trany fluid and when I left GM he had about 385,000 on it and the transmissiona nd engine had never been toughed internaly just usualy things that are wear items! It still had the OEM tining chain and he was about to replace it!

625K is not a big deal for the engine. Itis a big deal for the transmission. Keep in mind though that it did need a need head so he probably serviced both heads with new guids and seals at the very least when installing a completly new head and new valvces on the one side.It does nto say if the mechanic changed the lifter at the time or the timing chain etc..........

Their is a lot of information that is missing but really I do not see it as that big of a deal when talking abut synthetics and remote filtration.The main reason we do not see more of this is because most people do not put miles onthat fast and most people do not own their vechiles for 10+ years either!She was putting 62,500 miles a year on this things the average American does what 12K to 15K a year?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
The main reason we do not see more of this is because most people do not put miles onthat fast and most people do not own their vechiles for 10+ years either!She was putting 62,500 miles a year on this things the average American does what 12K to 15K a year?

it would take me 60 years to put on 623,000 miles. but i live close to work and i do not use my vehicle for work! he racks up alot of miles becuase he is a courier. these courier vehicles go all day.

here is am example of a million mile ford van that is a expediter. original triton motor and he used dino oil sometimes at 10-14k intervals!

Link:
http://www.millionmilevan.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back