60wt drag race oil in my corvette ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 777Pilot
Hi guys been lurking awhile but I'm getting some vacation time here so hoping to get my new 2017 grand sport vette in January. I want to make sure I get the most horse power obviously so my buddy who does top fuel racing recommended i look into 60wt dragster oil to max out horse power. I don't care about longevity at all i burn through these toys quickly but any recommendations on high performance dragster oil would be appreciated. I'm a mechanically minded guy but never thought to look into oil for any real reason just change it usually at the dealership. Thanks

I don't know any knowledgeable TF team member that would suggest a straight 60wt oil in a car that has nothing in common with a TF/D. I guess a Corvette does have four tires and an engine, but other than that, any comparison is ridiculous.

Hi guys been lurking awhile but I'm getting some vacation time here so hoping to get my new 2017 grand sport vette in January. I want to make sure I get the most horse power obviously so my buddy who does top fuel racing recommended i look into 60wt dragster oil to max out horse power. I don't care about longevity at all i burn through these toys quickly but any recommendations on high performance dragster oil would be appreciated. I'm a mechanically minded guy but never thought to look into oil for any real reason just change it usually at the dealership. Thanks

Your Grand Sport will quickly go into limp mode with 60W oil in it. The viscosity will cause oil temps to skyrocket. Dragsters run loose bearing clearances, a 2017 Corvette does not.Want to make it faster with oil and blow it up quicker? Use ow10 oil in it. Might be worth 10hp max.

My buddy who races a vintage 2 stroke motorcycle reckons you don't need any oil at all.

Probably as helpful as your top fuel buddy.

Claud.

I smell a troll
Trolling.gif

By definition of internet troll - this did not work if that was the intention - more folks lined up on this than most threads ...

In other words - we flew United !

In drag racing, it's over very quickly. It's not what I would call "track use", which is road racing and that is a much more stressful situation. The stock M1 5W-30 will be fine for your quarter mile excursions.

I have a 55 gallon drum of "dragster oil". I have it specially extracted right from the well head! Great stuff. But you do have to pre-heat it before starting the engine cause with .001" rod and main clearences on the vette engine, the pump cannot shove any 60+ weight oil into that tight of a fit. I use a big giant blow torch on the bottom of the drum till it's smoky hot and then suck out 6 quarts for my ride. Ya'll come back now, you hear?

Well [censored] I wish I had read all of this before but I forgot I made the post- I ended up having my buddy drain and refill with straight 60w he said it would help with fuel dilution which I'm not sure it did as the engine went limp mode immediately. Eventually after overriding limp mode we got it out on the track (was in Florida btw over 90 degrees so the 60w was ok) every time I started the engine though it ran terrible and went into limp and we had to continue to override- I had to go back to 0-40 lol

Thanks for the good laugh OP. Generally, the thicker the oil the more horsepower lost. I believe GM recommends 15W-50 at the track and 5W-30 on the street. Stick with that.

Well [censored] I wish I had read all of this before but I forgot I made the post- I ended up having my buddy drain and refill with straight 60w he said it would help with fuel dilution which I'm not sure it did as the engine went limp mode immediately. Eventually after overriding limp mode we got it out on the track (was in Florida btw over 90 degrees so the 60w was ok) every time I started the engine though it ran terrible and went into limp and we had to continue to override- I had to go back to 0-40 lol

Would you want axle grease lubricating your GE90s (or RR Trent 800s.. or PW4000s)???
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back