Rotella T4 15w40 + Lucas in a 93 Corvette Autocross Race Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought this car that the owner modified over the last year for autocross racing - few small power mods and numerous handling mods. Owner says he's been running and racing it with Rotella T4 15w40 plus Lucas Oil Stabilizer. 1500 mile max oil change intervals. Says loads of racers use this same oil combination with great results. I'm thinking I'll just go with Mobil 1 15w50 and no additive. I think I'll be racing it this weekend at BRR SCCA 2023 Solo Championship Event #5

366772904_318686023932520_2401467086732932416_n.jpg

Dewitt Alum radiator/Dewitt big azz cooling fans. Meziere electric water pump.
Accel Opti-spark, wires,plugs,injectors.
Deatschwerks 200 fuel pump.
New Alternator, Battery.
Reprogram chip, timing,fuel,disarm VATS.
Powerstop Zink slotted/drilled rotors, ceramic pads. Calipers,wheel bearings.
Stage II clutch Aluminum lightweight Flywheel $$$$$$.
Ridetech Fox 24 position adjustable shocks.
Monster RideTech sway bars.
Falken Azenis 660's, 315 square. 18x10 fo speedway rims,600 miles.
JVC Bluetooth hands free stereo, new speakers.

Yea, if you want to use Rotella, use their T6 15w-40 full syn. The Mobil 1 15w-50 is relatively inexpensive, and things like Redline 10/15w-40 are really good for protection. As others have said, do NOT use the Lucas. It's just VII. Just use a properly bleded full syn of mid to higher weight.

The new M1 5W50 Super Car Dexos R would be interesting if you’re looking for something more exotic than 15W40 HDs.
Your engine may be more oil pressure dependent than some of the newer offerings, but may not need a high HTHS over about 4.2ish that the 15W40s provide.

"Used it with great results" ...anecdotes from people who likely know little to nothing about oil chemistry and tribology. Have they checked the cylinder hone with a profilometer afterwards to observe wear? Have they torn down and checked piston deposits and ring coking? It's highly unlikely that they have. Even if they have, the idea of what's good or not is subjective. To the untrained eye, an observation may look great, but a trained eye may see it as awful. I've run into that many times. For many of those racers, the fact that it didn't experience sudden unscheduled disassembly is enough to call it great, which is asinine.

Rotella is the furthest thing from a quality racing oil. Very little to no friction modifer, junk base oil with 12% volatility, and foams like a whipped latte. Then you want to make it even worse with that Lucas polymer which has no additives in it (further diluting Rotella's additives) and serves absolutely no benefit. The only appeal is a little more ZDDP but then you dilute that down with the Lucas which defeats the whole point. That is a terrible combination.

Mobil 1 FS Euro 0W-40 would be a far superior oil for this and cheaper than the BROtella + Lucas syrup combo. Just about anything would be better than that combo.

"Used it with great results" ...anecdotes from people who likely know little to nothing about oil chemistry and tribology. Have they checked the cylinder hone with a profilometer afterwards to observe wear? Have they torn down and checked piston deposits and ring coking? It's highly unlikely that they have. Even if they have, the idea of what's good or not is subjective. To the untrained eye, an observation may look great, but a trained eye may see it as awful. I've run into that many times. For many of those racers, the fact that it didn't experience sudden unscheduled disassembly is enough to call it great, which is asinine.

Rotella is the furthest thing from a quality racing oil. Very little to no friction modifer, junk base oil with 12% volatility, and foams like a whipped latte. Then you want to make it even worse with that Lucas polymer which has no additives in it (further diluting Rotella's additives) and serves absolutely no benefit. The only appeal is a little more ZDDP but then you dilute that down with the Lucas which defeats the whole point. That is a terrible combination.

Mobil 1 FS Euro 0W-40 would be a far superior oil for this and cheaper than the BROtella + Lucas syrup combo. Just about anything would be better than that combo.
He's obviously learned nothing from that very long thread he already had that included Lucas.

He's obviously learned nothing from that very long thread he already had that included Lucas.
He said he was going to skip the additive and go with M1 15W-50, so I think he has learned.

To me, he's just recounting what he was told was being used, at least that's my takeaway. Doesn't surprise me that somebody cooked this up as being an "awesomesauce" combo, likely supported by the Auto Zone parts counter plastic gears and "my buddy's sister's uncle-husband told me it worked soooooo goood in his 1984 Freightliner, and it's got a turbo, and tows a trailer, so it's a way harsher environment than the race track!".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back