$60k Harley Davidson?!!

Here better yet, show him the actual cost.
A loaded BMW compared to a loaded Harley Road Glide Limited. I bet they are the same price (and available in many more colors)

I got my 2017 loaded R1200GS in 2021 for $16k Canadian with only 8,000 KMs on it!

My buddy spent the bank on his loaded K1600GTL. Great bike, endless power, and I got to ride it around the Cabot Trail last year. The rear suspension does NOT like your average bumps in the road though...

But he edged close to $50k Canadian when he was all in and out the door.

Any one who thinks the build quality and paint on this thing is not very very good is either fooling themselves or living in the past (This aint an AMF) and i promise photos do not do the paint justice. Even though this particular paint isn't my cup of tea, it will be stunning in person...

I personally would rather have an ST and the change, but if this is what you want no shade from me.
I wouldn’t go that far. I have owned and ridden Harley’s for years, and the CVO version is not really that much different than an ultra limited. sure, you get the different paint colour, but it’s not more durable or whatnot than the soft paint used on the regular colored bikes 🏍️. I know, I’ve detailed a few over the years for friends and acquaintances. Then you get the “bigger engine”, which in the case of the M8, comes with a cam in between the torque and power Cams. But sorry, for the average CVO, there isn’t $10k worth of difference in the build quality or parts used. You get the same “C“ lifters, same crank bearings, cam plate, same compensator, same hard mediocre Dunlop tires, suspension, brakes, etc., and my bike has a personalized number on it as well… it’s called a VIN. Now sure, there’s some extra bling and a few upgraded niceties on them that set them apart in appearance, but quality wise, I see just as many of them with issues as the regular bikes.
Now I have no issue with one that wishes to part their money the way they see fit, I don’t see the “build quality and paint” as any better than the limited I ride.
As for “custom” I may see custom a bit different than others, when I see a “custom truck” at a car show or whatnot, to me, its an individualized vehicle, not like others. One of a kind. Meaning, there aren’t 1500 other ones just like it.

There we go again. You assume I am offended for pointing out facts.
Who is more qualified to respond in here?
I owned a Suzuki C50, Yamaha Star 1300 Tourer and a bought new 2014 Harley Road King.

So why would you think I am offended? Ive owned a small mix of bikes.
Im not offended at all, I am just pointing out the comments in here and the video is so bogus coming from people who have no interest in owning a factory custom vehicle of any brand and type. What's more is no one commenting here owns a late model custom cruiser.
The comments so bogus, ignoring the FACT that Harley Davidson Limited Road Glides are half the price of the CUSTOM Model we are discussing.

There is VALUE in custom anything. Ohhhh.. boy tell me that no one ever went to a custom car show and said wow, look at that paint, oh that engine oh this and that. So why does anyone care what someone else is willing to pay for a custom vehicle or even a custom watch they wear on their wrist.

Would I own one? I dont think I can answer that question honestly for one reason only I do not have the means to own top shelf everything regarding all the toys I have owned. DO I ADMIRE things in showrooms? ABSOLUTELY, I do the same at car and boat shows too.

Oh .... and all the same old BS about leaking oil that someone knows... laughable, while not mentioning the model and age of the bike.
Well, you assumed a lot of things right from the beginning about the guy that made the video.

Also, I came across it as I was looking into Fatboy CVS models because there is one I’m interested in. So it’s not like I’m posting this to bash Harley. I’m genuinely surprised they go up that far in pricing.

Offended might’ve been a wrong word, but this thread clearly bothers you and you seem to be taking it personally.

As far as this thing being “custom” that definition must be quite loose. Aside from the paint, it don’t really see anything custom that would justify the price tag. It’s standard bits and pieces. Perhaps that’s why they limited the production numbers.

In no way can this be compared to custom cars or motorcycles seen at car/motorcycle shows.

If your spouse loves riding, that's all you need to know! My wife said she would consider it if I got a Goldwing 😁
That is awesome! Like my signature says! I had a Suzuki, Yamaha and Harley. I loved all three bikes for what they were.
I like Goldwings too. Came close to buying one many years back when they came out with (forgot the model) but it was a lighter less cumbersome style, same bike and frame though, still a gold wing.

One thing that bothered me at the time and even the sales rep agreed (which is amazing) the showroom models showed swirl marks and scuffs on a few of the same models so easy. It was a pain thing and the colors were limited. The Honda dealer near me is a class act, haven't been in there in a while but their shop is amazing. They also at the time serviced police bikes.
I always liked the idea of the v-6 but it's a big heavy bike and I think I am past those days.

Im also weary of the weight of bikes and why the RK is good for me personally. It's also why I was attracted to the lighter version or the Goldwing. Just heavy enough to plow down our fast moving interstates here and we do A LOT of interstate, even that, my wife prefers over local roads. Our typical trips are 2 hours to the Ocean or 2 to 3 hours to the mountains.

The part that surprises me most is my very practical wife is REALLY stuck on the Harley. She just loves it and I would find it hard to switch.

I got my 2017 loaded R1200GS in 2021 for $16k Canadian with only 8,000 KMs on it!

My buddy spent the bank on his loaded K1600GTL. Great bike, endless power, and I got to ride it around the Cabot Trail last year. The rear suspension does NOT like your average bumps in the road though...

But he edged close to $50k Canadian when he was all in and out the door.
That is another bike I love. BMWs ... (heck my son works for their car division)
I would find the R1200 Dual Sport interesting for sure. But I look at the Concours as the poor mans Sport Tourer.
The 1600 when I was a bit younger might have been interesting (used) we did sit on one at a dealer years back.

The issue with BMW where we live (but moving this month) is no place to get it worked on, dealers too far.
Im also a fan of some Triumph tourers. Gosh years back a dealer was going to sell me one for a song and dance but that too, was a 2 hour ride. There is one thing that bothers me about the metric bikes, TIRES. Both my Suzuki and Yamaha ate rear tires and from what I read its that way with all metrics. I dont understand. My Road King gets at least 14,000 miles but the metrics at 6 to 7,000 I am already dreading getting it to a dealer to get replaced by maybe 8000.

We always saw a HUGE amount of bikes from Canada in the Smoky Mountains of NC/TN ...
I was ALWAYS so impressed that you guys would ride down here. Gosh, we are there every summer and you guys are all over the place. I love looking at the plates/tags grabbing at straws but a lot from Vancouver .

If I could convince my wife for one last bike before I hang it up would be something like this.(love the side bags)
It wouldnt HAVE to be a BMW but would be nice, price would play a part. (thanks a lot, now I want this bike too)
Screenshot 2023-03-03 at 11.03.14 AM.png

Last edited:
Well, you assumed a lot of things right from the beginning about the guy that made the video.

Also, I came across it as I was looking into Fatboy CVS models because there is one I’m interested in. So it’s not like I’m posting this to bash Harley. I’m genuinely surprised they go up that far in pricing.

Offended might’ve been a wrong word, but this thread clearly bothers you and you seem to be taking it personally.

As far as this thing being “custom” that definition must be quite loose. Aside from the paint, it don’t really see anything custom that would justify the price tag. It’s standard bits and pieces. Perhaps that’s why they limited the production numbers.

In no way can this be compared to custom cars or motorcycles seen at car/motorcycle shows.
No, it doesnt bother me.
Inaccurate or incomplete information bothers me on any subject in this forum. *LOL* That makes me sound like I am taking it personally because for one reason. Again, I just hate innuendo on any subject and arm chair comments from many (not you) who never even owned a late model Harley. Gosh darn, it's not the most popular brand in the USA because people are crazy!
BTW- They dont go that far up in pricing. The bike will cost you $30,000 only if you want a custom version limited to a production number of 1,500 do you pay $60,000.

(just discussing here)
But even you dont know or I understand everything that is on this bike. This bike is everything that the most bike enthusiast rider would ever do to a bike but your knowledge of that is limited, as the bike just came out. Mine is too. But I did find you can go to Harleys website and click on every category of this bike. Being I am not taking this personally I really dont care to read up much more on the bike I will never buy *LOL*
Everything from the tires and wheels to the engine is custom. From ride control management to the audio system to the exhaust. To some people that is worth it. Just like a serial numbered Rolex is worth it.
I cant buy either though. :unsure:

and the more that I think about it. I still love my bought new 14 Road King. Might be the last bike I ever own. Who knows?
It was no garage queen. Wife and I took 5 and 6 day trips every year into the mountains and day trips to the beach all the time.
5 Hour torrential rain storms, non stop, we did that too!
Interstate GPS speeds on average of 83 MPH never breaks a sweat.

DSC_0444.JPG

Last edited:
That's one good looking ride you got there @alarmguy (y)
Thank you!
It’s too long of a story even on that. We bought it new August 2014 while we were in the Smoky Mountains at Pigeon Forge Harley.
It was the last day of our vacation on our VStar 1300 touring bike. We drove into the dealership in the pouring rain on the Yamaha, hours later, pulled out of the Harley Dealer in the pouring rain on the Road King.

Never was on a Harley before, never test road the bike. I was scared man, brand new bike, loaded with luggage and the love of my life on the seat behind me. Mountain roads, pouring rain keep thinking to myself slow and easy.
Before we left we did check radar and thought we had a hole in the rainstorm. It just didn’t happen as fast as I thought it would but finally after traveling from TN through NC the sun came out near the SC border.

Also, the back armrest for my wife and top luggage carrier easily unclips. I have a traditional backrest with luggage rack that snaps in place.
I just added that small luggage carrier a couple years ago.

Last edited:
I'm in the market for a new vehicle. But I'm having a tough time deciding what to get. I have no real need for a pick up but, I really like the new Ford pick ups and $110k seems like a steal. But the new Corvettes look pretty sharp. Even tho I don't have a need for a race track type of vehicle, they're just a bit more than the pick up, all optioned out. I can afford to pay cash for either one, just need to be convinced about what anyone else would buy if they were in my position. New is the only way I'm going with this purchase, I'm not interested in anything used.,,,

HD are nice motorcycles but not for everyone.

Some folks like the ‘unrefined’ aspects and qualities of a HD.

Also, I came across it as I was looking into Fatboy CVS models because there is one I’m interested in
I have a CVO Streetglide and my son has a CVO Road King, both have been great bikes, but I would like to know more about this new CVS model you speak of. If it can get me a nice discount on my meds…I’m in! ;) Forgot to mention my 50,000 mile Superglide as well.

Attachments

• 29D3EDDD-FC3A-41CF-AA65-17AFE78430AA.jpeg
    29D3EDDD-FC3A-41CF-AA65-17AFE78430AA.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 18
  • CB1A7997-5D1C-4D13-B996-E2623666AAEB.jpeg
    CB1A7997-5D1C-4D13-B996-E2623666AAEB.jpeg
    242.7 KB · Views: 18
HD are nice motorcycles but not for everyone.

Some folks like the ‘unrefined’ aspects and qualities of a HD.
Yeah, but the "unrefined" thing (character) now isnt that unrefined. No doubt HD owners like the rumble and shake but the new 2017 and later M8 cruisers barely have any shake due to a counter balance shaft. They intentionally didnt make it a perfect balance to maintain the character of the brand. It's what their purchasers want and let's face it. The Asian manufacturers have lost a bundle and taken a beating in the larger cruiser class of bike, just about out of the business now. Granted motorcycling is on the decline too, like all outdoor activities? Smart phone in everyones hand.

HD still sells more big cruisers in the USA than not only all their competitors but sell more or within a few percent of all those competitors sales combined together!
SO what happens with success? We Americans we eat our own, trash the company and stigmatize all the riders.

My 2014 shakes like an out of balance washing machine! Part of that is the 2014 and later have what used to be the high performance cam of the CVO series.

Ok, back to the purpose of my post *LOL* My 2014 Road King which at idle looks like the engine is going to jump right off its motor mounts that it shakes so much can beat any product on the market as far as smooth once its off idle.

It's really a buyer choice but explaining for those who do not know. Keep in mind I had a smaller Suzuki Touring Bike and a not so small Yamaha Touring bike. The Harley on any road doing above a few MPH lets say 20 is so smooth but for me, where it counts for me as a rider? As far as I am concerned nothing can come close EXCEPT other bikes in it price range, Goldwings, some BMWs some Triumphs and anything else I guess around the price range. More or less you have to spend for the experience.

Oh... but wait *LOL* back to the purpose of this (another) long winded post. SO like a jumping bean at a stop light my 14 RK is a beast on the roads and then, once on the open roads which I and my wife (surprises me all the time) love are the interstates. Gosh darn this bike just effortlessly flies. Not a stumble, not a vibration, silly smooth, torque with the right transmission I guess (?) just plows through everything moving past tractor trailers at GPS 85 MPH no getting blown around, it just hums along. The most silly smooth ride one can imagine with an equally silly smooth throttle.

(this is no lie) Where the other mentioned two bikes in this post that I owned you would have to hang on and be alert with cross winds or getting stuck between a caravan of Tractor Trailers. No concern on the 14 Road King, in fact I enjoy passing them as it still to this day amazes me. But here is the other thing, I do not make a habit of this but by mistake once in a great while even at these speeds, which on the open road I almost always have cruise control on *LOL* sometimes I forget for a second and take my hands off the handlebars to adjust my helmet and go whoops! Because I know my wife on the back saw it. :eek:)
True, it's so smooth you dont have to hold onto the handle bars. This is what amazes me about the bike, still to this day, even when I think sometimes my bike riding days are over, once on the bike again, I remember that great feeling. I never have to fight the bike, it's really an amazing experience and it should be for what you pay.

2014 was the year that Harley came out with the Project Rushmore with the beefed up 103 HO on their touring bikes and other enhancements which I forgot what they were. The other part of the reason for me to upgrade at the time was I wanted ABS brakes and this gosh almost 800lb monster can stop on a dime.

I know I said a lot in this thread. I dont take knocking HD personally, but if I own something OR something I have intimate knowledge of I just cant ignore non factual stuff.

(I wish I had photos without our faces in it in the open with strong sunlight. Looks great int he mountains but you're up in the clouds when I take them. Here is one more local.
The Paint really sparkles (Folly Beach SC)
I dont know why in BITOG when posting a photo the colors come out muted. I guess the photos are dumbed down when uploaded.

IMG_1487.jpeg

Last edited:
This is the same exact shot as above but the above photo is dumbed down and "dark" when I upload the file.
So for the photo below I did a screen shot of the picture on my computer and uploaded the screen shot and this below is what it looks like in the original photo that I tried to upload above.
Screenshot 2023-03-05 at 11.32.17 AM.png

Last edited:
HD's have the retro feel of classics, that is the appeal IMO. I started out on Hondas, couldn't afford a big twin, rode my old 750K for years before I bought my '01 Road King carb new. No Italian FI option for me back then. Only issue I have had with it was a primary chain shoe breaking at 1k miles. OEM battery lasted 10 yrs, pulled it due to age not lack of cranking.
Still riding it but as I'm aging out it is getting heavy.
Wife is on her Spyder now and having a ball so I'm happy to be one up riding again. We don't tour just mid-week lunch trips, momma's fur baby is the limiter.
HD's feel like a machine with individual personalities, I've ridden different models over the years and have rented HD's on trips.
Imports have appliance like personalities IMO, only felt that after being on the HD's.
My FLHR is going to be my last HD, paid 18k for it back then when you had to get on a waiting list to get one, with this is the color we have coming in, before in '03 they made them just another bike.

As for “custom” I may see custom a bit different than others, when I see a “custom truck” at a car show or whatnot, to me, its an individualized vehicle, not like others. One of a kind. Meaning, there aren’t 1500 other ones just like it.
More along the lines of a "Special Edition" which factory "customizations".

Oh... but wait *LOL* back to the purpose of this (another) long winded post. SO like a jumping bean at a stop light my 14 RK is a beast on the roads and then, once on the open roads which I and my wife (surprises me all the time) love are the interstates. Gosh darn this bike just effortlessly flies. Not a stumble, not a vibration, silly smooth, torque with the right transmission I guess (?) just plows through everything moving past tractor trailers at GPS 85 MPH no getting blown around, it just hums along. The most silly smooth ride one can imagine with an equally silly smooth throttle.

(this is no lie) Where the other mentioned two bikes in this post that I owned you would have to hang on and be alert with cross winds or getting stuck between a caravan of Tractor Trailers. No concern on the 14 Road King, in fact I enjoy passing them as it still to this day amazes me. But here is the other thing, I do not make a habit of this but by mistake once in a great while even at these speeds, which on the open road I almost always have cruise control on *LOL* sometimes I forget for a second and take my hands off the handlebars to adjust my helmet and go whoops! Because I know my wife on the back saw it. :eek:)
True, it's so smooth you dont have to hold onto the handle bars. This is what amazes me about the bike, still to this day, even when I think sometimes my bike riding days are over, once on the bike again, I remember that great feeling. I never have to fight the bike, it's really an amazing experience and it should be for what you pay.

2014 was the year that Harley came out with the Project Rushmore with the beefed up 103 HO on their touring bikes and other enhancements which I forgot what they were. The other part of the reason for me to upgrade at the time was I wanted ABS brakes and this gosh almost 800lb monster can stop on a dime.

I know I said a lot in this thread. I dont take knocking HD personally, but if I own something OR something I have intimate knowledge of I just cant ignore non factual stuff.
Sounds a lot like my 2000 Honda Valkyrie interstate. Silky smooth, from idle to redline, flat 6 engine and tons of passing power and torque.
My biggest gripe on it is lack of 6th gear or a taller final drive. At 85 mph it puts the engine above 4k RPM. This wouldn’t be an issue since it’s so smooth, but it just gobbles gas at that RPM. With its power and torque it could easy be in the low 3k rpm range at that speed.

Another gripe is no center stand. Japanese wanted to copy Harley so badly with their cruisers, that they didn’t include this very useful feature.

E81A340A-7C80-4478-BBC4-95104E723100.jpeg

Back