$60k Harley Davidson?!!

And since we are talking about expensive custom motorcycles......

I spent about a decade riding motorcycles, all of which were smooth and quiet four cylinder Yamahas. The first and only time I've ever ridden a Harley, my immediate thoughts were, "Why would anyone want to ride one of these heavy, loud, and vibrating beasts?" The next week I rode a Goldwing, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. To this day when I see a Harley, I think of that one ride and wonder why people ride them.
I to have ridden Honda Goldwing and other Hondas, I did own a 85, VT500 Honda, no complaints, but now I ride a 96
sportster , with a whoping 60 hp engine,5 speed...had it since 1998, never a problem,,I know,,it does not leak oil,,,love that bike, yes it heavy iron 490 lbs, slow in comparision to todays bikes, its low, it rides rough , and its great,,,Im 77 and show know better, but its a mind set, guess my mind is in concrete,,lol...PS, dont bring it home if it aint got chrome,,I know it doesnt make sense, its a Harley, love em or leave him...my grand son rides a BMW 1000 , its fast and sounds like bees on steroids,,,aint got no class,,drive in a lot with harleys, everyone is looking and smiling,,,theres nothing like that sound,,,yep Im old and should know better,,,not sure what knowing better really means,,lean into the wind and twist that grip............ride American.......................

Last edited:
I'm in the market for a new vehicle. But I'm having a tough time deciding what to get. I have no real need for a pick up but, I really like the new Ford pick ups and $110k seems like a steal. But the new Corvettes look pretty sharp. Even tho I don't have a need for a race track type of vehicle, they're just a bit more than the pick up, all optioned out. I can afford to pay cash for either one, just need to be convinced about what anyone else would buy if they were in my position. New is the only way I'm going with this purchase, I'm not interested in anything used.,,,
Something some whatbasic, economical, reliable and easy to get in and out of. It seems I am old.

And since we are talking about expensive custom motorcycles......
I like the Mike Hailwood model.

I find it amusing that the Harley guys assume that if you ride anything else , you are settling for less because you can't afford one , etc. When I shopped around for a street bike , price was not an issue . I could afford any of the mainstream brands but Harley was not on my Radar . Just not my thing , but I won't judge other folks for their choices .

I find it amusing that the Harley guys assume that if you ride anything else , you are settling for less because you can't afford one , etc. When I shopped around for a street bike , price was not an issue . I could afford any of the mainstream brands but Harley was not on my Radar . Just not my thing , but I won't judge other folks for their choices .
It's human nature I guess. People that use iPhones have similar views of Android users. There is a thread about a new average car cost projected to be $50k soon and some folks assume that those complaining simply cannot afford it. The rat race is real and people that think they are ahead of others sure like to look down on them.

I find it amusing that's the conclusion you arrived at LMAO

I was at a biker bar in Olalla, Washington and a guy wore his leathers and chaps to the bar. But he drove his pickup truck there.

Funniest thing ever.

Harley culture is working a 9-5, driving home to your suburban house and then riding a few miles to a biker bar where you play a character.
A friend of mine used to go up to sturgis with his dad. Many of the old bike riders would complain how all of the new riders were doctors and lawyers.

It's human nature I guess. People that use iPhones have similar views of Android users. There is a thread about a new average car cost projected to be $50k soon and some folks assume that those complaining simply cannot afford it. The rat race is real and people that think they are ahead of others sure like to look down on them.
I can buy just about anything in life, that other people and main stream America own. But I don’t understand regarding both of your posts why people feel defensive about not going with a main stream product. I can tell you right now for fact that I do not know one single person who looks down on someone else because they don’t own an iPhone.

I can also say I’ve been been 15 years now in the Carolinas that I have never met a fellow bike rider who looked down on somebody else because they didn’t own a Harley.

Those are my experiences, and since they are my experience, I kind of feel like somebody who doesn’t buy an iPhone, or a Harley regarding your comments has some type of inferiority feelings about that and it’s not the people who actually own the product.

I own a beautiful Harley Road King, Chaparral Runabout, new iPhones, Apple desktop computers, two of them each, 3 week old new house near the ocean. But I drive a modest Traverse with tow package and have an 11 year old Mazda 3 with 85,000 miles on it as a second car.

It doesn’t bother me that my neighbor has a brand new 4-runner, brand new pick up and a motor home.
We’re all just people spending the fruits of our labor on things that make us happy. I’ve openly talked about writing this form how I might even consider one of the cheapest electric vehicles on the market if I liked it enough as a second car.
I wouldn’t be embarrassed about it at all.

Last edited:
I can also say I’ve been been 15 years now in the Carolinas that I have never met a fellow bike rider who looked down on somebody else because they didn’t own a Harley.

Those are my experiences, and since they are my experience, I kind of feel like somebody who doesn’t buy an iPhone, or a Harley regarding your comments has some type of inferiority feelings about that and it’s not the people who actually own the product
So your experiences are limited to the Carolina's ? I personally have had the conversations with a couple of co workers that thought the sun rises and sets on HD . One of the jackasses told me that some day I might get a " real bike " . That kind of stuff tends to sour your outlook on HD owners .

So your experiences are limited to the Carolina's ? I personally have had the conversations with a couple of co workers that thought the sun rises and sets on HD . One of the jackasses told me that some day I might get a " real bike " . That kind of stuff tends to sour your outlook on HD owners .
I can understand, really but I think those “types” are a dying bunch.

I’m just not sure why you would let other people influence what you buy or not buy. but I do get it and maybe other areas of the country are different. We are we riding such a mix of bikes, especially the mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee. We have bikers from every part of the country and Canada converge on all different models brands and types.

I might be the perfect example as my wife and I laughed yesterday when I bought a purple/lavender case for my iPhone 13.
It’s really pastel too ! *LOL*
Makes me feel alive to push limits and stereotypes and ignore other people may think.

I’m sure you saw my signature, my bike before the road king was a VStar1300 Tourer and the bike before that was a Suzuki C 50
I never felt out of place with any of them. In fact, I got compliments a lot of times with that said I never expected, and I’m not kidding, never expected the level of performance of the Road king for our style of biking.
That style is 75% interstate and fast moving roads of 80 to 85 mph the bike rides like it’s on rails, which is amazing for the amount of weight.
It never breaks a sweat and really have to downshift on any road to maintain speed.
Maybe because of weight but you never get blown around the road no matter how the wind blows or cross winds from semi’s
Plows through like a tank!

The most shocking part is to this day it has not need a repair and I bought it brand new in 2014 while up in the mountains in another state I traded in the Yamaha V star.
The motivating factor at the time was, this was the first year of the Rushmore bikes which had refinements from the wheels to the handlebars to the camshaft, and in my case, I insisted on having ABS

Last edited:
It’s not all HD riders for sure, I never meant to imply it. However, from my limited experience when I was riding a Japanese sport bike, I hardly ever got a wave back from an HD rider. Now that I ride my Valkyrie, which looks like an HD, they wave to me all the time.

For the price of 2 Gold Wings and it isn't half the machine, it is a ripoff.
That was the first thing that came to mind, if a Gold Wing is up there, then ok. But seems like a manual Gold Wing is in the 28k ballpark....

There’s nothing insane about spending $60,000 on a motorcycle if you have $60,000 to spend.

Obvious the person who did the video in the OP post probably can’t afford a motorcycle at all.

I don’t understand the whole purpose of the post.
Other than the person sounds jealous he can’t buy a custom motorcycle. Just a lot of whining, and nothing else.

But I guess it’s a good thread for a bunch of ignorant remarks. 😙
How else are people supposed to justify dressing up like pirates?

There is an ass for every seat. Always has been and always will be.
60k and a buyer will toss an extra grand on for ''accessories'' to complete the poser look. Apes for example.
They usually sell out the CVO bikes.
And don't forget about loud pipes...

Back