6 month oil change interval question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 EP oil/filter for 35.00 and change once a year (or even 18 months) and spend rest of free time playing pickle ball.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: mtlineman
Forgot to add, vehicle is in Montana with very cold winter temps is why I do the 6 month oil changes, April & November. Do I need to still do this ? Thanks for the advice

I spent the last 4 1/2 years up in Glasgow and 0w oils came in handy numerous times. Although Billings is a bit warmer, it wouldn't hurt to go with a 0w20 year round.

6 month intervals will definitely keep the oil clean, but as mentioned at only 1000 miles or so per change it's kind of a waste for Mobil 1. I agree with the 1 year interval; if you have a concern then getting a single UOA to make sure of the oil's condition after that year is a good move.

Glasgow has that barbed wire fence to break the wind coming from Canada. Dealer even said to go with a 1 year oil change but they sell cars. id rather take the advice of you guys on here. Thank you

Last edited:
Glasgow has that barbed wire fence to break the wind coming from Canada. Dealer even said to go with a 1 year oil change but they sell cars. id rather take the advice of you guys on here. Thank you

They service cars as well. The manufacturer states One year or 10,000 miles whichever comes first. I've followed that advice and the 2012 Camry with 68k runs like a top. Did a UOA at the 60k mark and it came back EXCELLENT. Camrys are easy on oil. Not like it's a 4 cyl turbo, hard on oil. Too many oil changes can be bad for the cat. converter and those aren't cheap. Some of the additives that first get burned off early in the oil's life are hard on the cat. So I guess the manufacturer knew what they were talking about all along.

When the warranty is up, change your oil every 2-3 years. Take it out once per month on a 20+ mi drive at highway speeds to purge the engine of moisture. There is simply no reason to change oil every 1-2000 miles. Your battery life may be shortened with your current usage pattern, so you may have to occasionally charge it with a battery charger and replace it a year or so early. Watch tire pressure too. Very cold weather put a lot of strain on your battery and you do not want to be stuck at -25F.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Ive been using 0w/20 Mobil 1

I see no reason for you to use synthetic oil if your averaging 1800 miles a year. Buy a name brand conventional and $5 filter and change once a year.

No one makes a conventional in 0w20. There are some semi-syns but that's as close as you're going to get.

Mobil 1, probably in the AFE flavor, is cheap enough and easy to get. If anything, he could just use a cheaper full synthetic (NAPA, STP, etc.) and call it even, but that would only be saving a few bucks so why bother.

Ha, ha, ha! Yeah the only thing between Glasgow and the Arctic Circle is that fence and some grass....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back