5w30 or 5w40

new at bitog

I have a 2014 Hyundai Elantra with a 2.0 liter MPI engine, 191,000 miles. I live in a tropical area where the temperature in the summer is 136.4 F and the winter is 5 F. I use Motul Eco-Lite 5w30 oil, but at 77 miles I feel a slight vibration and loud sounds from the engine, and when I slow down it disappears. When I changed the oil to a higher viscosity Motul X-cess 5w40, I tried a speed of 88 miles, and the engine was quiet, Is the vibration and loud sound due to the low viscosity of the oil or because high mileage ?

interval at 3K mile

136.4 F your engine will like the 5W-40 better than a 5W-30

Some on here might suggest a thicker oil, Good Luck and Welcome to this Forum!

new at bitog

I have a 2014 Hyundai Elantra with a 2.0 liter MPI engine, 191,000 miles. I live in a tropical area where the temperature in the summer is 136.4 F and the winter is 5 F. I use Motul Eco-Lite 5w30 oil, but at 77 miles I feel a slight vibration and loud sounds from the engine, and when I slow down it disappears. When I changed the oil to a higher viscosity Motul X-cess 5w40, I tried a speed of 88 miles, and the engine was quiet, Is the vibration and loud sound due to the low viscosity of the oil or because high mileage ?

interval at 3K mile
Please post a video of these loud sounds. That would help in diagnosis.

I've been to Al Jubail and Al Mishab, Saudi Arabia and it gets hot but I can't say I knew anybody that recorded the temps. Maybe these guys knew.

1693963961982.png

Fact Animals

... Is the vibration and loud sound due to the low viscosity of the oil or because high mileage ?
Highly unlikely that one grade is causing/eliminating a vibration issue.
Much more likely there is a mechanical issue exacerbated by certain velocities, especially with a vehicle of high mileage accumulation.

Highly unlikely that one grade is causing/eliminating a vibration issue.
Much more likely there is a mechanical issue exacerbated by certain velocities, especially with a vehicle of high mileage accumulation.
I've checked it with many mechanics but they don't understand anything and they Always "Assume". in my area they Don't have skills at all in maintenance, So I don't know what the problem is, but it disappeared by viscosity increased to 5w40

I had a similar experience when using 0w20 in extremely hot day (110F) at sustained speeds close to 100 mph. Switching to 0w-30 with HTHS = 3.5 did solve the issue.
Therefore going from 5W30 to 5w40 makes perfect sense in your case. Also do not use Motul "eco" oils, use their "x" oils instead.

At 5F the 5w40 will have no problems.

Apparently hot weather doesn’t matter since thermostat will keep engine at certain temperature?

So must be a diff issue

Back