5w30 or 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was checking out my OM again today to pass time and I noticed it states 5w30 for the 4.7l; however, my oil cap states 5w20. Any one with a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7l seen this? What oil weight do you use? I was thinking about going to a 5w30 anyway has my 2013 Silverado and 95 Dakota uses this weight. First time I noticed the difference as I typically go off the filler cap.

Thanks for the help.

I did hear 4.7l are known to sludge up; however they are not from my year model. Not sure how true this is.

I found this link to provide more insight to this issue: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=951777

I guess I should have been using 5w30 from the start. Not too concerned about damage or anything, but it would have been nice not buying a "special" weight for this one vehicle.

Use the 5w30 IMO. The older 4.7's were all spec'd for 5w30 as well with high performance versions spec'd for 10w30 only, no back spec'ing that I'm aware of either.

The 4.7 will sludge if neglected but if it's history is unknown a high detergent full syn and 5k OCI's would be a good idea. Properly maintained they run a long, long time, just don't let it overheat.

I have had this Ram for 3 years and I am very picky about the oil/filter I use and the amount of time/miles are on the OCI. This trucks runs great and I have had zero issues. I take great care of it;however it seems the previous owner didn't. It has 111k miles on it and I am not too worried. I will just switch to a 5w30.

Originally Posted By: T_CUDA
5w30 is the spec oil for that.

Yeah, I have the old owner's manual and my cap both say 5w20. However, the owner's manual you find online states 5w30. The link I posted shows Chrysler saying 5w30. So I will be switching to 5w30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
5w20 synthetic for Nebraska. It's going to get cold soon.

That is what I have in it right now. Still will switch to a 5w30 as it is what is called for. Will be retiring from the Air Force soon and moving back to Texas.

Its probably a late-build 07 4.7 and got an 08 oil cap, the 08 4.7 is spec'd for 5w20 in both the manual and on the cap. Of course the 08 4.7 is also the "second generation" with different heads and a lot more power- but nothing they changed should have affected the required oil grade which tells me the 4.7 (of any generation) should be fine on either a 30 or 20 grade. I have a real oil pressure gauge on mine, and the 4.7 generates a metric (and SAE...) snotload of oil pressure with a 20-weight. Even towing in >110F weather at 70+ mph on I-10 (where the limit is 80, but I didn't feel like pushing that hard up the hills when towing, so I hung out at about 70-75 in the right lane with the big boys).

Is the engine in your truck actually a gen-2 4.7 (310 horsepower rather than 230)? I doubt it, but Chrysler has done stranger things over the years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Its probably a late-build 07 4.7 and got an 08 oil cap, the 08 4.7 is spec'd for 5w20 in both the manual and on the cap. Of course the 08 4.7 is also the "second generation" with different heads and a lot more power- but nothing they changed should have affected the required oil grade which tells me the 4.7 (of any generation) should be fine on either a 30 or 20 grade.

Is the engine in your truck actually a gen-2 4.7 (310 horsepower rather than 230)? I doubt it, but Chrysler has done stranger things over the years.

No, I have the gen 1 4.7l; single set of spark plugs. A lot of people complain about power by mine seems to have plenty. I know 5w20 really didn't hurt anything, but being military, I guess I like to do things by the book. So 5w30 will be my next fill.

Originally Posted By: DodgeRamz2007

That is what I have in it right now. Still will switch to a 5w30 as it is what is called for. Will be retiring from the Air Force soon and moving back to Texas.

Oh you shoulda said so. Texas = 10w30 then!
laugh.gif

Kidding... sorta.

Explain how that could possibly make a difference.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: DodgeRamz2007

Oh you shoulda said so. Texas = 10w30 then!
laugh.gif

Kidding... sorta.

5w20 is the best oil viscosity for combating startup wear and the worst for long runs. For example 5w20 would be somewhere around 9 at operating temps, 5w30 would be around 11/12 and 10/30 or 40 somewhere around the 15's at operating temps. 5w30 is a substantial difference at startup when most engine wear occurs, but seams like a nice compromise. I would run the 5w30 if it is cool with the book, but pay attention to any ticking or knocking. The second I got internal noise I'd switch back to 5w20, especially listen to your truck at startup for ticking.

Originally Posted By: sammy
5w20 is the best oil viscosity for combating startup wear and the worst for long runs. For example 5w20 would be somewhere around 9 at operating temps, 5w30 would be around 11/12 and 10/30 or 40 somewhere around the 15's at operating temps. 5w30 is a substantial difference at startup when most engine wear occurs, but seams like a nice compromise. I would run the 5w30 if it is cool with the book, but pay attention to any ticking or knocking. The second I got internal noise I'd switch back to 5w20, especially listen to your truck at startup for ticking.

A 10W-30 is going to be less than 12.5 cSt or it would be a 40 weight, most are 10-11, just like a 5W-30... a 15 is thick for a 40 weight...

2007 was the first year the 3.7/4.7 family was spec'd for 5w20 even though it was the last year of the 1st generation engine. No internal changes were made, so you'd be fine with either oil. You mentioned that you keep a stock of 5W30 for your other vehicles, so go ahead and run it...with 111k on it you definitely won't have any 'too-thick' concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back