5.3 Vortec Starting to Burn Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd do the PCV first. make sure it's working 100%. Then I'd toss a full can of Kreen in the crankcase and run it for at least 2,000 miles. It will loosen stuck rings. It will not hurt anything.

Then change chemistry and maybe go Pennz Plat 10W-30 HM or something similar with a full can of Kreen. By then you should be back to normal consumption.

I'd also defeat the cylinder deactivation and just lighten up with the right foot if you want mileage. Pumping cylinders with no combustion pressure can be a pathway for oil ...

Thanks guys, I'll do the next OC with PP 5/30 full synth and see if it makes a difference. If not, I'll replace the valve cover with the updated one.

I have to say regarding all the chatter about the GM AFM/DoD, I am very happy with this engine. I have had great gas mileage (17-19mpg mixed), plenty of power, performance and reliability for the last 211k. Can't complain about that.

I never spent money an additive, catch can or tune. If I have to spend $150 to fix a PCV issue now, frankly, I'm okay with that. Great factory engine !

I did the wires and plugs once and just regular, maintenance on the t-body/ air filter.

Last edited:
I have to say my LS4 5.3 with cylinder deactivation is a solid performer at 173K miles. 5.6 seconds to 60mph and 26.6mpg cruising at 75mph. Just switched to Belgium Castrol 0W30 and the lifter noise is substantially quieter than it was with Mobil 1 EP 5W30.

Originally Posted By: Neil_A
I have to say my LS4 5.3 with cylinder deactivation is a solid performer at 173K miles. 5.6 seconds to 60mph and 26.6mpg cruising at 75mph. Just switched to Belgium Castrol 0W30 and the lifter noise is substantially quieter than it was with Mobil 1 EP 5W30.

Not surprising, that lube is a fair bit heavier. You'd probably see similar behaviour with M1 0w-40 IMHO, which is very similar in viscosity to the Castrol 0w-30.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
You'd probably see similar behaviour with M1 0w-40 IMHO, which is very similar in viscosity to the Castrol 0w-30.

I will keep this in mind when my stock of Castrol runs out. Is edge 0W40 made in Germany comparable to M1 0W40?

You'd probably see similar behaviour with M1 0w-40 IMHO, which is very similar in viscosity to the Castrol 0w-30.

I will keep this in mind when my stock of Castrol runs out. Is edge 0W40 made in Germany comparable to M1 0W40?

Yes, just a bit thicker.

Yup, all three of those lubes are very close in viscosity due to the Euro specs they meet (though the M1 no longer carries LL-01).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back