4l80e rebuild on a suburban

That picture was taken with the original new case bushing and seal (not the Th400 case bushing, I have not received it yet). Basically I am at a stage where I got all put together (except for the valve body) and now I am taking it apart again. But it gives me so much more confidence now dealing with this rebuild.

And that is a good picture to show a chipped-off part in the housing where one of the 17 pan bolts thread into. Bottom right corner. I was just thinking of grinding it off flat and have the bolt thread into a nut.

I called transtar again today for the frictions. He had a kit with the borg warner but it had more than just frictions for $140. He said he can provide the BG hi-eneergy friction kit in loose form for $62. He also they they are newer in loose form than the package kits - I think maybe because he turns them around fast ( being a larger distributor). Unless you think otherwise, I am tempted to just go there and get it.

I did get in the ac delco bearing 9436851 today and they measure 0.140

Transtar moves a lot of product.....You will be fine!

The holes in the back of the case (12 & 6 O'clock) are suppose to be open.

The AC Delco replacements & the OE bearings are made by Koyo-Torrington.

That's photobucket's fault, You can run a "extension" to view the pictures, Search "photobucket embed fix".

If you need anything particular.....I have them all on a thumb drive & can post them.

So here are nee frictions from transtar. Do they look as you expected?

RKb6iIZ.jpg

vm7oRBV.jpg

2Wb2vUJ.jpg

ZbCGegm.jpg

For the intermediate snap ring, can I use the "TH400 GAPLESS SPIRALOCK INTERMEDIATE CLUTCH SNAP RING" on the 4l80e?

Originally Posted By: kawan
For the intermediate snap ring, can I use the "TH400 GAPLESS SPIRALOCK INTERMEDIATE CLUTCH SNAP RING" on the 4l80e?

Yes, For your application it doesn't matter if you use a HD Snap Ring or a Gapless Spiralock Snap Ring. The HD is a little thicker & may help tighten up your Intermediate clutch clearance which most 4L80E's need.

This HD snap ring ... is it a stock Th400 snap ring or are there 2 types available for the TH400?
If it is a stock TH400 snap ring, do you have a part #? I might get it from Transtar here locally
I already ordered the "TH400 GAPLESS SPIRALOCK INTERMEDIATE CLUTCH SNAP RING" so I will choose based on intermediate clutch clearance when I put it together

Thanks!

Also on the "bleed hole on the edge of the direct drum", do you have a picture for the location or can it be anywhere on the edge? Also wondering where it should come out on the other side, ie do I drill straight or at an an angle?

Originally Posted By: kawan
This HD snap ring ... is it a stock Th400 snap ring or are there 2 types available for the TH400?
If it is a stock TH400 snap ring, do you have a part #? I might get it from Transtar here locally
I already ordered the "TH400 GAPLESS SPIRALOCK INTERMEDIATE CLUTCH SNAP RING" so I will choose based on intermediate clutch clearance when I put it together

Thanks!

The TH400 & 4L80E used the same narrow snap ring during production, Most HD snap ring are actually production A727 Direct Drum snap rings that are marked up & sold as a special part for the TH400/4L80E Intermediate Clutch.
The part# I have written in my book is A22878C (.106" thick) for the Chrysler A727 snap ring.

Last edited:
There are usually balancing scallops on the outside edge of the drum, I drill at one of those from the inside of the drum at a 45 degree angle.....Less material to drill through & less chance of breaking the drill bit.

OhE7YIb.jpg

The hole is pictured above the red dot, correct? ( and not the red dot itself)

Earlier on in the thread you asked me to check the sealing ring lands of the forward drum.

I took apart the forward drum assembly to replace the frictions and the piston and here are the pictures of the sealing lands. They look ok to me. Let me know if you see anything out of ordinary. There are bits and pieces of green assembly lube sticking out as well.

RxhKEP7.jpg

dQVqxAN.jpg

ZxfOkQY.jpg

I started replacing the raybestos frictions with the borg-warner frictions last night and here are some updates.

4th clutch clearance. I can get a 0.040 feeler gauge in easy between the snap ring and the pressure plate. But 0.050 would not go in. The Altra-4L80e document says the clearance should be between 0.040 and 0.100. So I am in the tight end. This is likely the same before with the raybestos frictions but I thought I would run that by you for comments. Did not add pictures for this.

Forward Clutch - I replaced the forward piston with a Steel/Bonded '97 & up version 24204957, worked it in, made sure it was seated well and put back the return spring and snap ring. I placed the dish plate first (inner edge inwards) followed by 5 steel-friction pairs. Finished with friction. Now the clutch clearance. The manual says to make sure the top surface of the last friction is below the direct clutch hub seating ledge in the drum. The problem is that it is not. It is barely below the ledge. When I had the stock aluminum piston, I had this clearance. If I recall correctly I could get a 0.035" feeler gauge sitting on the friction plate and be just below the ledge. So I think it must be the small difference with the 2 pistons? Do I revert back to the aluminum piston or do you have a work around. here are some pictures.

9TVjeVy.jpg

aUXfvNA.jpg

9osG1sN.png

Back