4l60e broken bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: spasm3
i have one bolt i can't get my aircat on, I am going to get a two piece universal. AAARRGGH !

Which Aircat? Don't use a full size or even the mini gun on these bolts, I use a little 1/4 variable cordless impact driver and let them lightly "rattle out" if they don't zip right out. I am surprised you didn't take the heads off more of them.
Use hand tools working them back and forth with penetrating oil on the threads from above on the exposed ones to remove them if you don't have a small impact driver.

Aircat 1150 i did wring 2 off the mid section where the two manifold pipes come together. the front drivers manifold is off. I had to use a propane torch and get it good and hot, none of them broke. I'm letting the passenger side soak in penetrant overnight. I tried with 1/2 sockets and a 2ft breaker bar and could not budge them, that's when i broke out the aircat. I'll let the passenger side bolts soak overnight and if i get home early enough, i'll heat them and hit them with the aircat, maybe i'll turn down the pressure a bit at first.

Thanks for all your advice Trav!!

Last edited:
I thinks he is referring to the 10-1.5mm nuts on the Y-Pipe flanges? Yes those can be a PITA.....Heat & a Impact is your friend on those! If they get "galled-up" replace the stud & nut.

My bad, impact is fine on those, I thought he was talking about the Pan bolts.
33.gif
Okay I own today's moron of the day award.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
I thinks he is referring to the 10-1.5mm nuts on the Y-Pipe flanges? Yes those can be a PITA.....Heat & a Impact is your friend on those! If they get "galled-up" replace the stud & nut.

Yes i was referring to exhaust bolts !!! I'd never use impact on the pan bolts! I should have worded it better.

I have to drop the exhaust to get access to drill the pan bolts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
That sucks big time. Jobs like this are murder if your on flat rate, there goes all the gravy.

I can understand why shops charge a good amount for work like this. Having the tools, the time it takes , trips for parts, paying for the shop and labor, etc.

I grew up on a farm so i'm kind of used to doing things like this myself. Again i don't know how you guys deal with rust in the rust belt every day, I'd be sick of it!

Guys like Trav, Clinebarger , and others are such and asset to this board.

Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back