4 cyl Camry near 100K miles on original plugs. Time to change?

A 4-cylinder Camry is very easy to change them on. It came with Denso or NGK iridium from the factory, or sometimes even both. When you remove the old ones, you might actually find 2 Denso and 2 NGK plugs, and they will look almost new.

Replace them with Denso Iridium TT, or the original Denso or NGK iridium.

I think the interval is 120k :unsure:
This sounds reasonable. What does the manual say?? My 2012 Honda fit maintenance minder came up at 120k for plugs, valve adjustment. My factory plugs looked almost new and the valves were all inspec.

Older plugs are harder on the coils, using more voltage to jump the gap, meaning the coil is more saturated and runs hotter. I wouldn't be in a panic, but if your keeping the car forever its time to change them.

I put back in whatever comes out myself, but if you want to upgrade feel free.

If you don’t mind replacing plugs every 30k miles, go with standard plugs, if you want to replace and forget about it for 100k miles, go with OEM plugs.

Need to the plugs on my 2013 civic with 144K mi on the original plugs still running fine but slight drop in mpg. I will go with NGK Iridium Laser plugs. I would like to buy from Amazon. Will I get genuine plugs (vs counterfeit) if Amazon.com is the seller (or which of the 3rd party sellers are legit) ?

Last edited:
Need to the plugs on my 2013 civic with 144K mi on the original plugs. I will go with NGK Iridium Laser plugs. I Would like to buy from Amazon. Will I get genuine plugs (vs counterfeit) if Amazon.com is the seller (or which of the 3rd party sellers are legit) ?
No, don't buy them from Amazon, all sellers' products come from common bins so there's no way to totally avoid counterfeit. Walmart is okay as long as it's not a third party seller. Better would be AZ, Napa, O'Reilly. Best is Honda dealership.

Need to the plugs on my 2013 civic with 144K mi on the original plugs. I will go with NGK Iridium Laser plugs. I Would like to buy from Amazon. Will I get genuine plugs (vs counterfeit) if Amazon.com is the seller (or which of the 3rd party sellers are legit) ?
I've not had any problems if the seller and shipped by is Amazon.. But others have had issues. if you don't want to worry at all, go down to your local NAPA dealer (or order online) and you will not get counterfeit. I've been buying plugs from NAPA lately, never received anything counterfeit.

Oh maybe, i don't live in a state with clouds or rain or other weird stuff so it's only happened to me because of a lazy sensor.

It did happen once because of a shorted injector loom on a friends car. There was so much raw fuel in the exhaust that the cat couldn't burn it off, so it was spraying it out the exhaust. Probably was a fire hazard to be leaving a trail of flammable mist behind, but nobody died
The fuel pressure regulator failed in my Mazda b4000 and it sucked fuel through its vacuum line and shot it out the exhaust. That smelled like you'd imagine.

Older plugs are harder on the coils, using more voltage to jump the gap, meaning the coil is more saturated and runs hotter. I wouldn't be in a panic, but if your keeping the car forever its time to change them.

I put back in whatever comes out myself, but if you want to upgrade feel free.

Agreed. What are the factory plugs? NGK has expected lifespan of their plugs - double platinum plugs (ie platinum center and ground electrodes) typically have a 90k mile life. Or you could simply follow the service schedule for your vehicle

Runs great, 30 mpg, I'm happy but I have no clue of recommended interval. I s'pose I could google, or even take one out but if I can get a thread going. Should I just get whatever is in there or is there a better plug/ How much at Auto zone, Toyota dlr, etc? TIA
I would go with NGK. Whatever you do at least pull them and have a look. Good to just unscrew and screw them back in.

Back