.308/7.62x51mm Ammunition Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman
The M&P Sport 10 optics ready gun is a 1:10 twist barreled rifle. Being so, it will have it’s best Accuracy with 175gr or heavier bullets. 1:10 is a little aggressive for light bullets
A 10 inch twist will shoot 150ish grain bullets just fine. 1:10 looks to be the standard 30 caliber twist these days. This thread is about blasting ammo anyway.

Decided to gamble and go ahead and order some ammunition without having tried it. My cousin and I went in half and half on 1000 rounds of Lake City M80 Ball 147g from American Marksman out of Omaha. My cousin has an M1A Scout Squad. I haven't shot it yet, but I'm looking forward to shooting it and comparing with my M&P-10 Sport.

$.4/round, before shipping, when you buy 1000 rounds. Shipping was $26.51 for me, which brought the per-round cost to $.43.

I found the deal through AmmoSeek, which I think one of you guys posted here. So, whoever posted the link to AmmoSeek, thanks!

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Lake City is good ammo. You won't regret it.
He'll have a nice start on building up brass to get into reloading.

I have the Windham Weaponry .308. I put anything in it and it all runs fine. As such, I buy the cheapest swill I can find. This gun is a plinker for most folks, so ...

Honestly I stock up on Tula or Wolf for stock up and blasting ammo. Its shoots pretty good. I have a couple hundred rounds of Federal Gold Metal Match 168 grain, but I like to keep that in storage for long term.

Originally Posted By: emg

As I understand it, 7.62x51 is safe in a .308 chamber, but .308 may or may not be safe in a 7.62x51 chamber.

You're correct, and it has to do with headspace tolerances for NATO chambers versus SAAMI .308 Winchester chambers.

Have an older Remington 700 chambered in ".308 Winchester" that gets a variety of milsurp 7.62 NATO put through it.

I have 2 Springfield M1-A's, along with a DPMS AR platform .308. As well as a Winchester Model 88, along with 2 Savage bolt guns. All in .308. Not to mention a Thompson Center Pro Hunter .308 pistol. I feed them all .308 and 7.62 X 51 NATO interchangeably. I've never had a single problem with any of the guns feeding or ejecting.

This is along the same lines of the whole .223 vs 5.56 NATO argument. I don't even bother to segregate my brass for either anymore. It isn't necessary.

You won't have any issues with rounds around 150g. The 1-10 twist will work with them and heavier, no problem.

As mentioned above, it's very likely that Federal Gold Medal Match, 168g will be a rock solid choice with regard to accuracy and long range shooting. So much so, you may choose to stay with it. I certainly did.

What you will find is that there will be a difference in accuracy and trajectory between the different flavors.

It's my opinion that a quality 308 is an accurate, relatively long range weapon. As such, it's a good idea to find the ammo with good long range accuracy. That (I believe) is what drives AR-10 owners towards 168g boat tail ammo. It works amazingly well for most AR-10 owners.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
You won't have any issues with rounds around 150g. The 1-10 twist will work with them and heavier, no problem.

As mentioned above, it's very likely that Federal Gold Medal Match, 168g will be a rock solid choice with regard to accuracy and long range shooting. So much so, you may choose to stay with it. I certainly did.

What you will find is that there will be a difference in accuracy and trajectory between the different flavors.

It's my opinion that a quality 308 is an accurate, relatively long range weapon. As such, it's a good idea to find the ammo with good long range accuracy. That (I believe) is what drives AR-10 owners towards 168g boat tail ammo. It works amazingly well for most AR-10 owners.

I'm going to pick some of that up, too. Obviously in smaller quantities.

If you're actually going to be shooting at range you may as well try some of the 175+ grain bullets and see how your gun likes them.

Originally Posted By: hatt

If you're actually going to be shooting at range you may as well try some of the 175+ grain bullets and see how your gun likes them.

Actually have a box of Federal 180g hunting rounds I’m going to try today in a function check. But that’s another thread:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...por#Post4776658

Another thing you are going to find, (assuming you can get this thing to run with hotter ammo), is that after a few hundred rounds it will loosen up considerably. And then it most likely will digest the lighter pressure 7.62 Ball ammo without problems. I had a new 9 MM Sig P-226 that was the same way. The first 2 magazines would not cycle with 115 gr. Ball.

I then ran 100 rounds of Federal BPLE +P+ through it. After that it ran the same 115 gr. Ball ammo effortlessly.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Another thing you are going to find, (assuming you can get this thing to run with hotter ammo), is that after a few hundred rounds it will loosen up considerably. And then it most likely will digest the lighter pressure 7.62 Ball ammo without problems. I had a new 9 MM Sig P-226 that was the same way. The first 2 magazines would not cycle with 115 gr. Ball.

I then ran 100 rounds of Federal BPLE +P+ through it. After that it ran the same 115 gr. Ball ammo effortlessly.

You know, that's a good point, and I hadn't thought of it.

My wife's Beretta 92 did not like PMC ammo, and had three FTEs in the first 50 rounds (not happy campers at the time) but with a hotter load, Gold Dot LE, I think, it was flawless. After a few hundred rounds, which included a couple of clean/lubricate cycles, it was good to go. It will shoot anything now.

But when it was new, and the friction of critical parts was higher, it was picky.

Similarly, I wonder if my DMPS is less picky about lube now that it's nearing 1,000 rounds. I don't know if I want to experiment, as I've found what keeps it happy, but the break in process does change how a gun runs...

John,

If you can find a box of the new Hornady "Superformance" .308, I would try that. It's about the hottest .308 on the market today. It replaced the Hornady line of "Light Magnum" ammunition that was very popular a few years back. If your gun won't run on that stuff, it isn't going to. I know they have it in .308.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/superformance#!/

https://www.hornady.com/support/faqs/wha...s-of-ammunition

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: hatt

Actually have a box of Federal 180g hunting rounds I’m going to try today in a function check. But that’s another thread:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...por#Post4776658

My old Polytech M14 didn't like 180 grain hunting ammo at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back