2018 Bmw X1 s28i, 43.9k miles, 5.9k miles OCI Motul Xcess Gen 2 5w40 LL01

I stretched this oil out little farther because past results were decent on that 5k interval run and because this one was quite literally, half freeway trips. I did about 5-6 trips from LA - VEGAS which were 250 miles each way.. so 2500 miles were guaranteed to be all freeway, and the additional freeway miles from normal commuting. The car does idle often and does take short trips (wife uses car to let kids nap sometimes and many short grocery runs) so pretty much, a mixed use interval. The oil saw anything from 20-30 min idles, short 2-3 minute drives, and 90-100mph 3 hour trips in 110f heat.

I like how iron is trending down even w/ more miles on this interval. The UOA posted shows the 5w40 Xcess GEN 2 for the past 3, OEM LL01 BMW 5w30 (SOPUS), and on the far right factory fill BMW LL-14 0w20 SOPUS.

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 3.01.32 PM.jpg

I assume you mean the oil turning into a 30w. Yes - turbo + heavy foot on the 250 mile desert runs I assume had something to do with that.
Yes & It's a BMW and I believe they have a "Spirited" driving vibe to them. Thanks for adding the driving style for context on viscosity loss.

Seeing the Calcium that high, I assumed this oil isn't SP rated. On the Motul website information page, doggone if it doesn't have an SP rating posted! But, when I clicked on the Technical specs at the bottom of that SAME PAGE, the tech spec says SN rated.
I also have a B48, and I'm running a non-SP rated oil. It has high calcium, but, unlike this Motul, it has high Molybendum, which is a positive to resist LSPI (which is what the SP rating has been shown to help avoid). Also, the oil I have has High ZDDP levels, which also are in the positive column for resistance to LSPI. I'm listening and watching closely for any hiccoughs, and neither I nor the combustion-checking-electronics-nanny have noticed anything unusual. I've heard from several people that the B48 is not as sensitive to LSPI as many smaller turbocharged engines seem to be.
thanks for your data points!

Seeing the Calcium that high, I assumed this oil isn't SP rated. On the Motul website information page, doggone if it doesn't have an SP rating posted! But, when I clicked on the Technical specs at the bottom of that SAME PAGE, the tech spec says SN rated.
I also have a B48, and I'm running a non-SP rated oil. It has high calcium, but, unlike this Motul, it has high Molybendum, which is a positive to resist LSPI (which is what the SP rating has been shown to help avoid). Also, the oil I have has High ZDDP levels, which also are in the positive column for resistance to LSPI. I'm listening and watching closely for any hiccoughs, and neither I nor the combustion-checking-electronics-nanny have noticed anything unusual. I've heard from several people that the B48 is not as sensitive to LSPI as many smaller turbocharged engines seem to be.
thanks for your data points!
There were some instances of LSPI in B48, but very rare. I would say it is probably driven by Eco mode.
Motul has new GEN2 that is SP. The one that is used here in this UOA is not made by Motul anymore. Probably SN can still be found on sale.

There were some instances of LSPI in B48, but very rare. I would say it is probably driven by Eco mode.
Motul has new GEN2 that is SP. The one that is used here in this UOA is not made by Motul anymore. Probably SN can still be found on sale.
I wonder what was on the bottle of the oil used, because I found the Motul Website text said one thing (SP) while the technical spec said another (SN). With Calcium so high as in this report, either I'm misinformed about low calcium being associated with SP ratings, or, this oil was certainly the SN version.

I wonder what was on the bottle of the oil used, because I found the Motul Website text said one thing (SP) while the technical spec said another (SN). With Calcium so high as in this report, either I'm misinformed about low calcium being associated with SP ratings, or, this oil was certainly the SN version.
This is SN. They moved to SP last few months so maybe there are some discrepancies on web site.

Back