3.55 vs 3.73 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lawnguy
Hey Fellas! I just found this. What do ya'll think?

https://www.americanmuscle.com/410-gear-oil-kit-8609.html

Do you have the equipment to do the swap? To adjust the lash?

It may just be cheaper to find another diff (is your truck 2WD or 4WD?) if you are RWD at the wreckers with the better ratio and swap out the whole shebang. Though finding one with 4.10's in it may be a bit more difficult.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Stock for stock, 3.73 gears would be a good upgrade in that truck. 4.10's would be more fun, however.

I went from 2.73 rear gears to 3.73 in my stock 4.6 Mustang - the difference in acceleration was HUGE!!

The gas mileage went down 3-4 MPG, though.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
3.55:1 means for every single revolution of the drive shaft.....The axles will turn 3.55 revolutions.

Sorry, sir, but you have that relationship backwards....the drive shaft turns 3.55 revolutions while the axle turns once. Big difference between the two!

FWIW OP, I had an 80s Mustang with the 5.0, went from 3.21 to 3.55 and it was not astoundingly different, but did liven up the car. You'll notice a difference initially.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
3.55:1 means for every single revolution of the drive shaft.....The axles will turn 3.55 revolutions.

Sorry, sir, but you have that relationship backwards....the drive shaft turns 3.55 revolutions while the axle turns once. Big difference between the two!

FWIW OP, I had an 80s Mustang with the 5.0, went from 3.21 to 3.55 and it was not astoundingly different, but did liven up the car. You'll notice a difference initially.

Are you saying that tiny pinion spins faster than that huge ring ?
wink.gif

So, in all this I’m still lost for intents & purposes for an expensive swap on an older truck. Just to change it a bit … new plans for truck … are many of the current parts worn out … etc
I do like 3.73 ~ most of my past 1500’s had that … but my smaller Canyon has 4.10 and does not need it with the 5.3L … and does not get the MPG it could … 3,73 is a good (compromise) ratio …

It depends on what the truck is used for-if you tow and haul a lot, then 4.10 is the way to go. Unless you have a diesel with a lot of low end torque, then 3.73 is enough. On a light duty Ford O/D, like a E4OD or it's successors (like the 4R70W)-you don't want to tow or even haul heavy in OD-and the higher numerical gear ratio will limit your top speed in 3rd to non-interstate speeds!

Last edited:
My explorer down there has 4.10s stock w/LS, feels very powerful on takeoff for that weight and motor. Has 16" wheels vs 15". 4wd low could probably pull a house off its foundation.
A relative used it to pull some massive fallen trees, with a chain, he said it is almost like his superduty :lol:. I was worried the frame would bend or the tow hitch would break. He said not even close. That OHV engine creates all its torque at 2200 RPM.
At higher speeds though, it seems to rev alot, use gas, and provide little power. I think some explorers came with 3.27, 3.55 and 3.73 (mostly the 4r70w v8s).

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
It depends on what the truck is used for-if you tow and haul a lot, then 4.10 is the way to go. Unless you have a diesel with a lot of low end torque, then 3.73 is enough. On a light duty Ford O/D, like a E4OD or it's successors (like the 4R70W)-you don't want to tow or even haul heavy in OD-and the higher numerical gear ratio will limit your top speed in 3rd to non-interstate speeds!

That’s a good point and the previous GM 3.73 (1500) trucks I towed with had the tow/haul mode …

No. For every revolution of the AXLE the DRIVE SHAFT will turn 3.55 revolutions.

3.55 to 3.73 is not worth the effort or money. Go higher, like 4.10's or better.

Oh...... By the way, when I did a ratio change, my mileage initially went down. A later realized that was because I was enjoying my new found acceleration and constantly stomping on the gas pedal to put a grin on my face. Once I got past this phase, my gas mileage returned to normal.
grin.gif

Make sure you have a locker or LS in there or your new found acceleration will translate to a bunch of one wheel burnouts.

I paid up for 4.10's in my Rubicon, it was well worth it. The engine does rev a bit higher and it burns a bit more gas but the power difference between that and a 3.73 was well worth it imo.

I'm just going to go back and ask the OP why do you want to change rear end gearing? If your truck is capable to do the things you bought it for, I don't see much point if you aren't going to change anything else, like tire size, etc...

Your off the line performance will be slightly better (and that's it). Your freeway mileage will likely decrease ever so slightly. You will need to pay to change the gears and to recalibrate the speedometer.

Honestly, with 3.55 gearing (which is what the vast majority of 4WD F150's got) and that tire size, I don't see the point.

Yes, yours is a 2 wheel drive which I knew when I posted. My point was that the 4WD trucks often got 3.55 gearing standard with larger overall diameter tires (265/70/17).

Effectively, you already have a gear ratio with smaller tires that is the equivalent of the deeper gearing given to the heavier 4WD trucks with larger tires. That is a part of the reason a lot of 2wd ford trucks came with 3.08 or 3.31 gear ratios from the factory. 3.55 had to be chosen...

My 99 F150 4x4 Supercab flareside with oversized tires and the 4.6l V8 had 3.55 gearing, and I never found it sluggish off the line or unable to tow up to its towing capacity.

Again, what, exactly are you trying to accomplish?

From what I understand numerically lower gears got you better MPG and driveablity on the freeway, while higher gears were better for off-the-line go, towing and terrain but at the expense of MPG and top speed/redline?

To get more haul A$$ from 0-100.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Yes, yours is a 2 wheel drive which I knew when I posted. My point was that the 4WD trucks often got 3.55 gearing standard with larger overall diameter tires (265/70/17).

Effectively, you already have a gear ratio with smaller tires that is the equivalent of the deeper gearing given to the heavier 4WD trucks with larger tires. That is a part of the reason a lot of 2wd ford trucks came with 3.08 or 3.31 gear ratios from the factory. 3.55 had to be chosen...

My 99 F150 4x4 Supercab flareside with oversized tires and the 4.6l V8 had 3.55 gearing, and I never found it sluggish off the line or unable to tow up to its towing capacity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lawnguy
To get more haul A$$ from 0-100.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher

A 2000 4.6L F150 is never going to haul a$$. Sorry. Save you cash for something else.

Last edited:
Exactly. For the amount of money you are looking to spend on stuff like this you should sell this truck and get one with the 5.4. Lipstick on a pig for what you want it to do.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Are you saying that tiny pinion spins faster than that huge ring ?
wink.gif

Maybe.

Last edited:
Will a 3.90 ring and pinion fit in my truck? I know I mentioned earlier about going from my 3.55 to 3.73,but I think 3.90 might be they way to go as opposed to 4.10. I also have verified that my auto trans is the 40r7w

Please advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back