3,000 Mile Oil Change

None - but with 3 GDI motors and most synthetic lubes purchased ‘yellow sticker’ - no issue changing at 5k … if it runs over a bit, Ok
My 4WD’s are very easy changes especially if running filter 2x …
The Lexus filter location/design is crap IMO …

I do 3750 conventional or semi syn in my 2008 Xterra per factory spec. It has close to 400k miles on it. I bought it new.

I gave this car to my daughter that resides 100 miles away at school - if you want to know how much I trust it.

It’s my money to flush - for the naysayers.
I'd do the same on that vehicle or less
I'd let the filter go a few times though.

I'd do the same on that vehicle or less
I'd let the filter go a few times though.
I could run the filter longer I suppose.

I like to do a thorough inspection on my vehicles every few thousand miles. A stitch in time. I might as well let the oil drain at the same time , it adds maybe 5 minutes to my inspection.

Anyone still perform 3,000 mile oil changes? Using synthetic blend or synthetic oil. The severe maintenance schedule in my owners manual requires 3,750 mile oil changes and normal service is 7,500 miles.
In our tgdi Nissan I change usually around 4,000. I'll add oil at or below 3k but if it's 1qt low over 3k I just change it out. It uses around or a little over a quart between changes.

I have checked out maybe 40 used cars in the last 10 years. Private sellers who have owned the car for a while. I always ask about oil changes and they usually have bills for service. Almost all of them change oil every 5,000 miles at the local quick lube shop and when I look under the oil cap, all of them have been extremely clean. It looks like a simple 5,000 mile oil change is working very well for the average person. Unless there are some unusual circumstances, I can't see a reason to change oil more often.

3k OCIs are recommended for some heavy TGDI fuel diluters and most-all four cylinder Hyundai and Kias, manufactured between 2012 and 2019.
The rest?...... more members here can add other engines and manufacturers to my suggestions above.

I would be doing Supertech and 5k OCIs, if I owned most trusted engines.

The smell of the oil has no bearing on when the oil needs to be changed-not color for that matter.
I firmly believe it is not a good thing for the oil. That is fuel in the oil. That's what smells. If you think that's fine, then run it that way in your engine. Not in mine.

With short tripping, it was common to smell it after a few thousand miles. With normal longer trip driving, where the engine properly warmed, I did not smell it. I normally went with 9k to 10k OCI's on my Ecoboost. But there were times I smelled fuel in the oil after only a few thousand miles. When that happened, I changed it.

And I never said a word about color.

I firmly believe it is not a good thing for the oil. That is fuel in the oil. That's what smells. If you think that's fine, then run it that way in your engine. Not in mine.

With short tripping, it was common to smell it after a few thousand miles. With normal longer trip driving, where the engine properly warmed, I did not smell it. I normally went with 9k to 10k OCI's on my Ecoboost. But there were times I smelled fuel in the oil after only a few thousand miles. When that happened, I changed it.

And I never said a word about color.
I think changing oil by " smell" is one of the most outrageous claims I have ever read on this forum. And that's saying a lot. Do what makes you happy....

I’ve been doing 3K intervals in my oil burning Scion as insurance against the rings sticking again. Next change I’m trying Mobil1 0w-40 and seeing how it does at 5K.

Future daughter-in-law's '21 Tucson will get 3k/6 month changes. The MM is flat time/mileage setting does not adjust for driving style. The 6k/12 month oil was disgusting and came back with high fuel dilution. Her MM just popped on so will be next week. My son did a road trip with her last week and added about 600 miles recently. Even with that it will only have about 2400 miles on it.

She works 5 days/week less than 5 miles away and other weekend stuff. LOTS of really short trip things and not getting to temperature.

I change my oil every 3k in winter or if it’s seen hard driving (lot of off roading and short trips etc). If I’ve been driving longer trips and less gravel/dirt time, I go up to 5k.

So far my car has about 20k miles and I have changed the oil six times already in 2.5 years of ownership.

Once by the dealer for free at 1.7k, then myself at 3k/8,300/13,500/17,300/19,500

Doesn’t burn a drop of oil between changes, gets excellent MPG, and all appears to be very clean and good. Going to do a UOA after this next interval, going to wait till a full 5k and then see how she’s faring having had a very spoilt break in 👍🏻

Last edited:
Everything I have is easy on oil so sees yearly or no less than 5k.
If I had something with DI and timing chain(s), I wouldn't go more than 3 or 4k .

I've had Toyota's for too long. They like to do things every 5k. Tire rotation every 5k and oil every 10k. Other items based on multiples after that. Very easy to remember, just look at the odo for when it's due. As a result... my first thought is, why would I do every 3k? On a car with 184k I'd be thinking, "is 1 plus 8 plus 4 divisible by 3"? so I'd probably opt for 2,500 mile changes instead. :ROFLMAO:

I think changing oil by " smell" is one of the most outrageous claims I have ever read on this forum. And that's saying a lot. Do what makes you happy....
So you think that smelling fuel in the oil, which is not normal, and wanting to change it because of that is outrageous?

I think that it is outrageous that you think smelling a strong odor of fuel in the oil of a DI engine at only 3k miles is normal and just fine.

Last edited:
I may have said something different in another post however when I think about it, I am around 5k-7k mile OCIs.
Depending on the season(time of year) & convenience, along with how few miles we've put on the vehicle, I may do a short interval.
Not that I haven't gone 8K miles(mostly hiwy) on a long vacation trip by car.
But certainly not when staying home and doing mostly rural driving with little hiwy jaunts. I know in my head, what type of use our vehicles have had during a particular OCI.
There are still some things I do that are 'ol school and other things that I have kept up with the times.

I do it whenever it is convenient. I work for a dept. store with a garage, so there are deals, coupons..etc; or I’m having something else done to the car so it gets done then.
Usually works out to about 5-6k miles, and it’s a mix of oils - sometimes bulk, sometimes synthetic…

Back