3,000 Mile Oil Change

I hope you're joking. Starbucks is the Exxon and Chevron of coffee. It symbolizes American exceptionalism whether we are exceptional or not.

If we're talking synthetic oil, short trips aren't problematic if you're going to drive the same car again in under an hour. Most synthetic oil can do 10k-15k OCI without problem in non-turbo midsize or smaller vehicles.

To the OP, 3k OCI is a scam for most situations.
In most instances (typically 4 out of 7 times a week) the 2023 4Runner was driven daily less than a mile roundtrip to Starbucks and not driven for the rest of the day. The next trip of the day, if any is usually well over an hour later. Recently, the closest Starbucks has closed and the current daily roundtrip trip is now a little longer, 4 miles. Yes, I'm joking about Starbucks, however, I choose to not consume their products.

Last edited:
I think that a 3000 mile oil change could be an order for some driving styles and engines. With so many added technologies/features going on in today’s smaller engines with direct injection, turbo charging, VTEC, Variable Compression Engines, low friction rings and vehicles that are short trippers, the 3000 miles OCI could often be needed even with oils being as good as they are today.

Future daughter-in-law's '21 Tucson will get 3k/6 month changes. The MM is flat time/mileage setting does not adjust for driving style. The 6k/12 month oil was disgusting and came back with high fuel dilution. Her MM just popped on so will be next week. My son did a road trip with her last week and added about 600 miles recently. Even with that it will only have about 2400 miles on it.

She works 5 days/week less than 5 miles away and other weekend stuff. LOTS of really short trip things and not getting to temperature.
I don't get the not up to temp. My Caravan is 1/4 the way before a half mile all under 30. About a mile or so it's up to 1/2 way or according to scanner 215 degrees. I do lots of short trips however all of them are over 2 miles. When I go to town which is 8 miles before I hit stop and go. Lots of severe duty if you believe manual. I do once a year and never have had milky cap or moisture in the oil. I also leave running when wife comes to town with me with AC on while I shop.

I think that a 3000 mile oil change could be an order for some driving styles and engines. With so many added technologies/features going on in today’s smaller engines with direct injection, turbo charging, VTEC, Variable Compression Engines, low friction rings and vehicles that are short trippers, the 3000 miles OCI could often be needed even with oils being as good as they are today.
I kinda agree and find it pretty funny that the mpg gains from gdi are easily negated by more frequent oci.

I don't get the not up to temp. My Caravan is 1/4 the way before a half mile all under 30. About a mile or so it's up to 1/2 way or according to scanner 215 degrees. I do lots of short trips however all of them are over 2 miles. When I go to town which is 8 miles before I hit stop and go. Lots of severe duty if you believe manual. I do once a year and never have had milky cap or moisture in the oil. I also leave running when wife comes to town with me with AC on while I shop.

When I last changed my oil, it was after getting home from a 6 mile commute. I went into the house, changed clothes, cracked a beer, then went to work. When removing the drain plug, oil got on my hand, and it was hot, but nowhere near boiling hot. Maybe 180F?

When I last changed my oil, it was after getting home from a 6 mile commute. I went into the house, changed clothes, cracked a beer, then went to work. When removing the drain plug, oil got on my hand, and it was hot, but nowhere near boiling hot. Maybe 180F?
The oil temperature guage in my car shows about 220 F when warmed up and it warms up very fast (less than 2 miles). It's not boiling for oil but it is for water and very hot.

Is the Caravan GDI?

I haven't moisture issues /milky cap that I know of. I almost never drive her vehicle. Maybe took it to buy gas once (1 mile away) and moved from front of house to driveway to clean it.

My cars will barely be of the cold position on needle for the first mile, especially in winter. Not long enough to burn off the fuel and other stuff. My fleet consists of 2 Honda's with 2.4L, Hyundai 2.0L, Kia 2.0L, Jeep (Fiat) 2.4L and a Honda with 3.5L.

The '08 CRV is not GDI, no issues, also gets longer trips. '17 Accord, 25 miles each way 5-6 days/week. '16 Jeep (with new motor at 83k) runs around town but gets to temp and drives around a lot. '10 Forte not GDI varied drives but gets to temp. '21 Tucson less than 5 miles daily, doesn't even have 18k on it. '19 Pilot less than 2 miles each way for work 5 days/week. Also used for trips etc and other errands (60k on it)

I kinda agree and find it pretty funny that the mpg gains from gdi are easily negated by more frequent oci.
I have to keep remembering myself, that it’s not only about fuel economy but also about emissions as well. But I keep forgetting about the emission effects of all of these technologies.

Is the Caravan GDI?

I haven't moisture issues /milky cap that I know of. I almost never drive her vehicle. Maybe took it to buy gas once (1 mile away) and moved from front of house to driveway to clean it.

My cars will barely be of the cold position on needle for the first mile, especially in winter. Not long enough to burn off the fuel and other stuff. My fleet consists of 2 Honda's with 2.4L, Hyundai 2.0L, Kia 2.0L, Jeep (Fiat) 2.4L and a Honda with 3.5L.

The '08 CRV is not GDI, no issues, also gets longer trips. '17 Accord, 25 miles each way 5-6 days/week. '16 Jeep (with new motor at 83k) runs around town but gets to temp and drives around a lot. '10 Forte not GDI varied drives but gets to temp. '21 Tucson less than 5 miles daily, doesn't even have 18k on it. '19 Pilot less than 2 miles each way for work 5 days/week. Also used for trips etc and other errands (60k on it)
No GDI however only 34k in 6.5 years and driven daily. Once a year oil changes and looking through oil fill it still looks new. We do have an Impala that is GDI with 175k and it's a 2012. Gets yearly oil changes or less than 30% of OLM with last oil change was around 12k. Motor never been opened up and looking through the oil fill it looks new. I just did water pump, thermostat, AC repair, and fuel injector within the last year. I just talked her into switching from Pennzoil Platinum over to Valvoline Advanced since she was using a quart after 5k then another within 2k so I suspected oil breaking down. Since switching it lost first quart around 10k and when changed a couple thousand miles later was still on full. OLM stated 10% left. This oil change is at 8k and lost less than 1/2 quart so we feel safe about hitting 200k.

Not necessarily. As mentioned above emissions play a role. And fuel once used is gone forever. Oil can, and should be, recycled to make fuel oil, lubricants, re-refined oil, or other petroleum products.

I disagree with the “what a waste” crowd in regard to getting every last bit of use out of oil. Especially if it requires taking the vehicle out for more/longer trips to do so. It is using fuel (non reusable) to save the oil (reusable) and both cost time and money in the end.

This morning someone in the GR Corolla Facebook group that I moderate said that he changes his oil every 1500 miles. That’s such a huge waste 🙄

I do 3,000 in the Trooper because that's when it gets about a quart low.
I was thinking of your Trooper today. Why? Not sure...lol
I used to go shooting with the guy I knew in the late 80s from Arlington VA.
His father was a 4 star General ( Walsh) and his son drove an Isuzu Trooper.

The sons real first name was Trooper ..seriously
Sorry it brought back memories.. 😆

Yep, Fiat with the same engine, just not a Trail Hawk. They had a TSB where they updated the ECM and it cured the oil consumption issue. We have 90k on this car now and it runs great. Before the reflash, it used about the same amount of oil you described.
Just genuinely curious here, but what did the ECM update change in the engine operation that did cure an oil consumption issue?

Back