25k miles - 2019 Subaru Ascent = new CVT

Oh, Snowflake, don't mistake me for a CVT fan, most definitely I'm not. I'd love to see a 6EAT or greater. The overall idea (and robustness) of the 4EAT should not have been that hard to "scale up" for more gears, at least in theory. Plus, if Subaru were to get back to a traditional automatic, they could put a "granny gear" tied to the X-mode which would actually give the cars more off-road usability. Meaning, X-mode would actually be "1st gear" and when not in X-mode, you'd have a much lower numerical 2nd gear which was then the normal "1st gear" along with another 5 forwards. So it'd technically be a 7-speed that has skip-shift for 1st gear :LOL:
Toyota would be happy to help Subaru adapt the AA80E and call it the 8EAT. It can handle the FA24DIT in the Ascent and 5th gen Outback/Legacy XT with no issues and beyond.

I think CVTs are fine in lightly-stressed applications. Toyota has a CVT, but the Camry doesn’t use one. And Honda ain’t scaling up their CVT beyond the Civic/CR-V/Accord 1.5T.

Oh, Snowflake, don't mistake me for a CVT fan, most definitely I'm not. I'd love to see a 6EAT or greater. The overall idea (and robustness) of the 4EAT should not have been that hard to "scale up" for more gears, at least in theory. Plus, if Subaru were to get back to a traditional automatic, they could put a "granny gear" tied to the X-mode which would actually give the cars more off-road usability. Meaning, X-mode would actually be "1st gear" and when not in X-mode, you'd have a much lower numerical 2nd gear which was then the normal "1st gear" along with another 5 forwards. So it'd technically be a 7-speed that has skip-shift for 1st gear :LOL:
This is giving me Chrysler 545RFE/65RFE transmission flashbacks.... I’ll take a Nissan CVT equipped vehicle over another one of those!

We're on our first 2 CVTs(Altima & Civic) in my signature, both 2015's. Thus far they're performing as designed but they do cause me some concerns about their longevity and nothing more.

I do like the way they operate in the everyday-ness and these cars see an easy(normal) life and the CVTs have & will get good maintenance.

It doesn’t prove anything other than a very different kind of Subaru that was introduced in 2019, had some problems that started and ended with the 2019 model. The 2020 Ascent does not have the CVT same issue. Whatever was wrong with the 2019 CVT it took them one model year to fix.
Any 2020 vehicle is too new to make any assumptions about long term reliability. Even 2019 is for that matter. I don't get your point at all. Plus the fact that manh CVT models have been relatively unreliable for years.

Thought it’s interesting enough to post. I have a 2019 Subaru Ascent with 25k miles and it’s at the dealership getting a new CVT. The repair cost is over 10k and requires Subaru approval which will take a few days. Happy to have that warranty!

Doesn’t surprise me as this is the heaviest car Subaru has their CVT in as far as I know. There was also a recall on the transmission but mine didn’t have a specific fault to get a new transmission then.

I haven’t searched to find out how common this is but I might out of curiosity.
Not the first time I’ve heard of a practically new Ascent grenadeing its CVT unfortunately. I think it’s manufacturing defects not necessarily bad design/engineering despite my hatred of CVTs. 10 grand for a new box and install? Yikes what are they paying Bezos to slot the thing in?

Not the first time I’ve heard of a practically new Ascent grenadeing its CVT unfortunately. I think it’s manufacturing defects not necessarily bad design/engineering despite my hatred of CVTs. 10 grand for a new box and install? Yikes what are they paying Bezos to slot the thing in?

What does Bezos have to do with any of this?

No, you exclude all the numerous failures and issues with CVTs in many Subaru vehicles and the extended warranty on CVTs for so many years.
It's clear that CVTs are an inherently unsuitable design for transmissions in modern passengers cars with a few exceptions. The problems with CVT extend to many other manufacturers as well Nissan, Honda, Toyota, ect....

The primary reason they are used is low cost to produce, and slightly better gas mileage compared to traditional geared units.

No I exclude nothing of the kind. On the contrary you are bringing up some other issues as a straw man. There was an extended warranty for a year that was a customer service issue. That already ended and all the transmissions were updated

Thiis discussion is about the new Subaru Ascent that had issues in its very first model year, 2019. We have one member woth a 2019 Ascent reporting an issue, so far we do not know if it failed or not, the situation is fluid. Whatever it is it is being covered under warranty. First one reported here out of maybe 70,000 members.

Subaru probably wants to do a post-mortem on the trans. But every time I go to the dealer, I see trans cases stacked high.
That's exactly why they did not want ANYONE, not even the dealer to touch it as they wanted to find out where the problem was, but I think that by now they oght to have had the problem solved since they manufacture their own transmissions. The CVT was design from the inventor (DAF) to be used on small engines with low torque. Problems arose when used on bigger displacement than 1,500 cc. The belts were shredding, but Subaru has gone Kevlar and steel as far as I know. Still not a transmission for enthusiasts.

Last edited:
The belts were shredding, but Subaru has gone Kevlar and steel as far as I know. Still not a transmission for enthusiasts.
I thought Subaru uses a chain as the power transmission means in their CVTs and everyone else used the same Van Doornes Transmissie belt design? I know Bosch bought out VDT a while ago.

I'll never understand why people buy Subarus.

why not? All brands have issues, look at the new C8 Corvette or the 2001 c5 z06. Toyota has had frames replaced on their one truck.

Last edited:
Reactions: wdn
I thought Subaru uses a chain as the power transmission means in their CVTs and everyone else used the same Van Doornes Transmissie belt design? I know Bosch bought out VDT a while ago.
You may be right, I haven't followed this very closely recently.

No I exclude nothing of the kind. On the contrary you are bringing up some other issues as a straw man. There was an extended warranty for a year that was a customer service issue. That already ended and all the transmissions were updated

Thiis discussion is about the new Subaru Ascent that had issues in its very first model year, 2019. We have one member woth a 2019 Ascent reporting an issue, so far we do not know if it failed or not, the situation is fluid. Whatever it is it is being covered under warranty. First one reported here out of maybe 70,000 members.
Yes, but the failure is almost certainly the CVT.

CVTs are an inherently flawed design especially for any vehicle that is heavy.

It will be interesting to see if SOA will reinstate an extended warranty for CVTs on heavy vehicles.

As far as I know since their debut over 10yrs ago, all Subaru CVTs have used a chain.

The only other common vehicle I know of that uses a chain in the CVT is the 2013+ Nissan Pathfinder's Jatco unit.

Regardless, like any belt or chain, it's almost never the belt or chain itself that fails. It's a tension, lubrication or mabye debris contamination issue that causes them to fail.

I wonder if this Ascent problem really is a CVT problem and not something else. Will be interesting to see if we get any real follow up.

As much as I thought my three different Subarus (two with CVT, one w/5spd) were decent vehicles. I doubt I'll buy another and it's not because of the CVT that's for sure.

Three, count them three, coworkers in the last week have told me of their engine failures on their Subaru's in the last week. One Outback, one Forester and a one Impreza. The Forester is at 80k, the Outback is near 200K and I don't know the mileage on the Impreza. I will hear the updates in a month when I am back on dayshift. The Forester had a replacement engine under recall when it was quite new, 20k miles IIRC. My neighbor just bought a new Ascent and it looks really nice. He's a Subaru guy but trades his in every few years and has only great things to say about them. He always laughs at me working on my cars in the garage. FCA and VW. He has a a couple things that I don't. Continual car payments....I point this out and tell him that his lack of native skills doom him to be eaten by the rest of the survivors after the revolution. He laughs even harder then.

Three, count them three, coworkers in the last week have told me of their engine failures on their Subaru's in the last week. One Outback, one Forester and a one Impreza. The Forester is at 80k, the Outback is near 200K and I don't know the mileage on the Impreza. I will hear the updates in a month when I am back on dayshift. The Forester had a replacement engine under recall when it was quite new, 20k miles IIRC. My neighbor just bought a new Ascent and it looks really nice. He's a Subaru guy but trades his in every few years and has only great things to say about them. He always laughs at me working on my cars in the garage. FCA and VW. He has a a couple things that I don't. Continual car payments....I point this out and tell him that his lack of native skills doom him to be eaten by the rest of the survivors after the revolution. He laughs even harder then.

I'd say any car that gives you 200k on an engine doesn't owe you anything more....:sneaky:

Back