25k miles - 2019 Subaru Ascent = new CVT

Here is the recall. It was indeed for the wiring harness on a sensor. It was only some 2019 models and does not extend to any other model year.

Recall Number 19V855000
Recall Date 12/02/2019
Component
POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:CONTROL MODULE (TCM, PCM)

Summary
Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is recalling certain 2019 Ascent vehicles. The transmission hydraulic sensor may inaccurately measure the hydraulic fluid pressure.

Consequence
If the fluid pressure is measured higher than its actual value, the hydraulic pressure will be reduced. If this occurs, the transmission drive chain may not have the proper tension, resulting in a loss of drive power and an increased risk of a crash.

What Owners Should Do
Subaru will notify owners, and dealers will reprogram the transmission control unit. The hydraulic sensor harness will be replaced on vehicles with certain stored diagnostic trouble codes. In addition, any vehicle confirmed to have experienced low drive chain tension will have the transmission assembly will be replaced. All repairs will be free of charge. The recall began January 31, 2020. Owners may contact Subaru customer service at 1-844-373-6614. Subaru's number for this recall is WUV-07.
Don't buy Subaru's happy talk, your C&P recall is dated 12/02/2019 the OP post is dated 09/29/2020 had 25kmi. and he was complaining of shift quality...

'The vehicle was shifting with a bouncy feeling, like it had issues with the chains? This is my first CVT so I’m not familiar with their internals. Uphill with a load makes the trans really bounce between gears. It didn’t feel like a manual with a slipping clutch.'

Not at all like Subaru reached out to him...They may or may not fix it depending on whether or not you call them, no vin numbers or mfg. dates provided...seedy underhanded company IMO, avoid.

Don't buy Subaru's happy talk, your C&P recall is dated 12/02/2019 the OP post is dated 09/29/2020 had 25kmi. and he was complaining of shift quality...

'The vehicle was shifting with a bouncy feeling, like it had issues with the chains? This is my first CVT so I’m not familiar with their internals. Uphill with a load makes the trans really bounce between gears. It didn’t feel like a manual with a slipping clutch.'

Not at all like Subaru reached out to him...They may or may not fix it depending on whether or not you call them, no vin numbers or mfg. dates provided...seedy underhanded company IMO, avoid.
...reading on from the OP it would seem Subaru is keeping their engineering blunders secret from the Subaru dealer network as well...

'They looked into if it was external to the trans and couldn’t find anything. They couldn’t find much after 2 days of the top tech being on the job. I assumed the CVT trans is complex enough that the techs are not trained to disassemble them and look for failures. I very much could be wrong about that?'

very disturbing.

I'll never understand why people buy Subarus.
I've never owned one, so have no personal ownership opinions one way or the other.

There is some stigma, or prestige, associated with the brand, depending where you are on the political spectrum.

That being said, I have a good friend, a very conservative pastor, who always drove domestics, mostly Mopar. He never would have chosen a Subaru, but inherited one from a good friend a few years ago. He absolutely loved it. It was stolen and trashed, and he bought a 2nd, very used one. This one is really high mileage, and rusty. He bought a 2-year-old Suby just a few months ago. I assumed he'd retired the 2nd one, but no, he traded off a much newer Hyundai instead, and kept the ancient rusty Suby, so now he's got two. He's absolutely fallen in love with the brand, and is not interested in driving anything else.

My experience with a Subaru Crosstrek. It had 2400 miles on it when it failed and I put nearly 1000 miles on it before this, so it was no "abused rental". I learned from the rental car agent that they'd experienced a number of failures.

My experience with a Subaru Crosstrek. It had 2400 miles on it when it failed and I put nearly 1000 miles on it before this, so it was no "abused rental". I learned from the rental car agent that they'd experienced a number of failures.

That sounded very catastrophic. Bet you were glad it wasn't yours.

Back