23andme

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I recently did 23andMe and the results were quite interesting. There is an old family story on my dad's side about a "dark skinned" child assumed to have been born of a Native American "prostitute" and what was assumed to have been an African father around the turn of the 19th century. It is unknown if the father and mother were mixed race themselves, but could have been. Anyways, there is no known way for us to verify this information, so we always took the story at face value. 23andMe results show that I'm northern European with 1% Sub Saharan African and about .4% Native American. Not proof for the story, but certainly lends it some evidence. I'm sure these tests aren't always super accurate, but can be fascinating and can fill in some gaps of history.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
A lot of tin foil hats in this thread.

Yeah, lots of people don't realize the limitations of the test. Because they cut up the strands of dna in order to analyze it, it's a guess as to how to put it back together so depending on how it's cut up, there's a certain amount of error in it. If you sent in two of the same sample, you'd probably get back slightly different results. This used to cost a lot when it first came out, about 2.7 billion to sequence the first human genome. Now the price has come down, but the error rate has gone up.

As for the tin foil hats, yeah, a private company has the data. And while it might eventually get out there, what's the point? It's like worrying about pictures that you post on facebook. There's billions of other ones out there too. And eventually you're dead too.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
It's all fake.

A family member sent their DNA out to get tested to 2 "reputable" companies and got COMPLETELY different results from each one.

You could probably swab your chihuahua's DNA and send it in and they'll tell you that you're 50% Irish, 25% Russian, and 25% Chinese.

I think for it to be accurate, it would have to cost a lot more money.

lol bc you have one experience its all fake. How is it then that the dna of at least 10 family members and they all tied together?...Ancestry correctly listing parent/child/brother-sister/1stcousin. And they had zro way of knowing any of us related???>

oh wait...
Quote:

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Yeah, lots of people don't realize the limitations of the test.

like you bc you are a realestate broker?....I would love to see your source of disinformation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I've had interest in this lately. May check it out.

My Wife is a descendant of John Alden, and the family home (a little Cape in Hanover, MA) is still IN the family. I think it was built early 1800's or even earlier. The ceilings are LOW and the kitchen has a wood fireplace with the cast iron arm with a pot hanger and beehive ovens on the left. There is a well just outside one window with a bucket on a rope.

I just found out that some twit girl, Steve Mnuchin's wife, Louise family owns my ancestor's Castle in Scotland! We "M" are better than that. I'd like to toss her like a caber into the moat!

In any event Id like to learn more and this DNA thing is interesting but I don't want to get ripped off.

She's the moronic "actress"/golddigger who cybershamed some mom for not being as rich as her!!!
I get the second toss... ;^)

Wait until you can't buy life insurance because all the vendors share DNA info they "picked up" and you have a "genetic problem".

I sent my sample in about 6 weeks ago to 23andme and last week I get a notice that I have to send in another sample because the first one that I sent in was,IIRC, not properly processed or something like that.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Wait until you can't buy life insurance because all the vendors share DNA info they "picked up" and you have a "genetic problem".

I can understand your worry. For me personally its not an issue. I am 71 and don't have/need life insurance. I am locked into a personal care facility as soon as I need it. So even though I think its silly..to each his own.

If you take the time to read the contract that both parties sign its illegal for them to share your sample results they are LICENSED to the person who gives the sample. If you are worried about this you should be worried about your medical results getting out in the open..it has happened ..HIPAA laws not withstanding.

In either case the Doc. or Ancestry.com breaks the law if they release and so is the party that recieves the information (Insurance co/)

As for the tin foil hats, yeah, a private company has the data. And while it might eventually get out there, what's the point? It's like worrying about pictures that you post on facebook. There's billions of other ones out there too.

Pictures catalogued on social media engines and DNA data in the hands of a for-profit "corporate citizen" are in entirely different realms of consequence.
The only way it's like posting pictures on Facebook (or posting statuses, tweets, granting permissions to apps etc) is your complicity in doing it and the subsequent explotability of having legally handed over personal data. There is a big difference between knowing your drinking habits, food preferences, daily routine, biometric geometry, now we're cataloging coding of the machine itself. The genealogical precision of the methods used is probably of little consequence, whether they're accurate or not. That may be a low priority (ie just enough to give the customer a general outline in "percentages") where other certain sections of the sequence may be what is sought after.

The little example scenario I gave before, the type of stimulus that faithfully triggers the 'tin foil' response, is a perfect example of what for-profit business does.
Believe it or not, but business is not here to serve you or give you cool interactive selfie-filters to play with or enhance the resolution of your front-and-back 6 terapixel cameras so you can take better selfies, or play fun GPS-interactive Pokemon games so you and your friends can have a great time. They're not constantly innovating ways to translate voice-to-text so you can send an SMS hands-free or execute dumb, trivial voice commands "for your convenience". Facial recognition or other biometric research has little to do with your device security or lock screen. They're in it for money and power; money comes by influencing us (to our detriment) to spend and submit profitable personal data, the power comes by us positively-responding to that influence (and almost always insensibly). I guess that's the point.

Quote:
And eventually you're dead too.

Haha gratuitous nihilism. How about this: "What are you gonna do about anything while you're alive?"

Originally Posted By: Al

In either case the Doc. or Ancestry.com breaks the law if they release and so is the party that recieves the information (Insurance co/)

It's only illegal if they get caught
wink.gif

23andme definitely sells your DNA data 'with consent'. It is "illegal" for them to sell it with the intent of targeting a specific individual, but they definitely sell the data wholesale. Like I said, the genealogy bit is the consumer-level facade IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
I sent my sample in about 6 weeks ago to 23andme and last week I get a notice that I have to send in another sample because the first one that I sent in was,IIRC, not properly processed or something like that.
This is what they wrote, "Our laboratory attempted analysis of your saliva sample but the concentration of DNA was insufficient to produce genotyping results. No need to worry -- while this occurrence is uncommon, it does happen occasionally. Simply provide a new sample using a replacement kit we will ship to you at no charge after you've placed your replacement order online."

Meh, compared to the tin foil hats in firearm forums there isn't enough here to cover an ant's head. Compared to FaceBook this stuff isn't worth fussing over for 2 seconds.

I would imagine their analysis of the data would change based on new finding and new samples coming in every day. So if today you are 1% Sub Saharan and 0.4% Native American, next year you can end up being 5% Australian native or 4% Peruvian.

Fun for sure, but I'd not take it too seriously.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I would imagine their analysis of the data would change based on new finding and new samples coming in every day. So if today you are 1% Sub Saharan and 0.4% Native American, next year you can end up being 5% Australian native or 4% Peruvian.

Fun for sure, but I'd not take it too seriously.

You make a good point and the technology is advancing rapidly. But the results that I have seen indicate that they were spot on identifying (without their actual knowledge) Parends/siblings/ cousins (to at least 4th) so the technology even now is exact. But like anything it will get more precise. But what they do NOW is not WRONG in all incidences that I have seen..

Last edited:

Yep-I guess it's common for guys that change their own oil to think everything is some sort of conspiracy!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN

Yep-I guess it's common for guys that change their own oil to think everything is some sort of conspiracy!

There's some logical fallacy there. There were only a few posts from the tin foil hats in this thread. And if most of the people posting change their own oil, I'm not even sure what you're saying.

What I really wonder about is the success rate of those conspiracy theorists. Never really saw too many headlines about how the internet was right about some particular kind of conspiracy.

My daughter had this done.
It's sort of a gimmick and the nationalities are so far spread and broad. She wasn't happy, she thought it would break it down more directly.
It was so much Northern Europe, so much Mediterranean some East Asia so much.
Could get better results in a grab bag or from the fortune teller at the arcade.

There's some logical fallacy there. There were only a few posts from the tin foil hats in this thread. And if most of the people posting change their own oil, I'm not even sure what you're saying.

What I really wonder about is the success rate of those conspiracy theorists. Never really saw too many headlines about how the internet was right about some particular kind of conspiracy.

"Conspiracy theorists", "tin foil hats"
lol.gif
Clearly with nothing objective to say, the only recourse left is passive-aggressive regurgitation of a few basic derogatory names. Hey, whatever does it for you bud. Business interests are not a theory and they don't love you and care about you. Sorry to break it to you. I know, it's hard to accept that the world we live in is not all candies and sunshine, that greed is not a theory and deception has nothing to do with tin foil.

And yes, you sure do wonder about "their success". Keep wondering about that, maybe you'll one day find out.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol

"Conspiracy theorists", "tin foil hats"
lol.gif
Clearly with nothing objective to say, the only recourse left is passive-aggressive regurgitation of a few basic derogatory names. Hey, whatever does it for you bud. Business interests are not a theory and they don't love you and care about you. Sorry to break it to you. I know, it's hard to accept that the world we live in is not all candies and sunshine, that greed is not a theory and deception has nothing to do with tin foil.

And yes, you sure do wonder about "their success". Keep wondering about that, maybe you'll one day find out.

Did you even read the thread? I wasn't the one who first brought up those terms. I'm not even sure what you're saying.

No one ever said they love you or care about you. And who is really having trouble with acceptance of the way the current world is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back