20W or 30W for long interstate drive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by HangFire
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Why would you put a Winter oil - SAE 20W - in for a Summer trip?

There is no 30W grade that I've seen.

Forget the oil.

Make sure the tires are aired up and in good condition, make sure you have a highway emergency kit, a canteen with fresh water a P-Bottle and .... a good mix tape.

Good luck and Enjoy!

Modern multi-weight Xw-20 oils are thicker at both operating temperatures and extreme temperatures than old conventional 20W Winter oil. Look it up.

Did I say other wise? NO.

Read the OP's Thread title again. He said 20W not 5w20.

Just a jab about CONFOUNDING the terms "Winter" and the lay team "Weight" which should be stated as GRADE.

Forum Members should know by now.

We don't want to confuse newbies any more than API and the Industry has.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by AlienBug
Originally Posted by tig1
Lets see. With about 490K using almost all M1 0-20 I have extensive mileage on long trips in my Fords. My 2007 Ford Fusion 2.3 has made 21 trips to Florida from Illinois. and 1 trip to Maine. My 2017 Ford Fusion 2.5 has 5 trips to Florida, I trip to Maine, and 1 trip to Colorado. If your engine calls for a 20 wt oil, use it with no worries.

Funny enough I'm road tripping to Florida in my 2011 Fusion 2.5 SEL next week. An 1,100 mile speed run, six days on the beach, then return trip.

I installed Mobil 1 AFE yesterday.

Some folks say 1 mpg isn't a good enough reason to run a 20wt. I look at it the other way. Since my engine will run happily for as long as I care to own it on 0w20, why wouldn't I take the extra 1mpg?

10-4 to that.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
The winner is : M1 5W30 on rollback at WM .

Don't forget to submit your $12.00 rebate! (for the 5qt jug)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back