2025 Ram 1500

Drive a Ford -F150 with the 3.5 AND GET BACK TO ME........

The 3.5 is a cute little motor isn't it. Drive a 700 (TRX) to 1200 hp supercharged hemi and get back to me. I'm not one to fixate on who can reach 60 mph a half second quicker than the next guy though. I just want the 6.4 BGE or SRT hemi in a truck, and it looks like I have my answer, I will be doing a crate engine or swapping a used long block in within a year or two. My 5.7 is almost perfect, smooth and effortless for the most part, a little more low end torque for towing would be nice.

The 3.5 is a cute little motor isn't it. Drive a 700 (TRX) to 1200 hp supercharged hemi and get back to me. I'm not one to fixate on who can reach 60 mph a half second quicker than the next guy though. I just want the 6.4 BGE or SRT hemi in a truck, and it looks like I have my answer, I will be doing a crate engine or swapping a used long block in within a year or two. My 5.7 is almost perfect, smooth and effortless for the most part, a little more low end torque for towing would be nice.
That's the rub. A 3.5 will tow up an 8,000 foot pass all day long. We got some out here in the West I have pulled on.

That's the rub. A 3.5 will tow up an 8,000 foot pass all day long. We got some out here in the West I have pulled on.

Yeah, it won't, depending on the load anyway. The 5.7 hemi is the only 1500 engine that actually saw duty in a 3/4 ton class pickup, it was the base engine in the Ram 2500 for years before it was dropped in favour of just the 6.4. It can take a ton of "abuse" as long as it's maintained and kept cool. Ford doesn't put turbos in their super dutys for good reason, instead they also prefer large displacement NA v8's, exactly what I'm looking for.

If my block swap doesn't happen my next upgrade would likely be a Ford 6.8 or the GM 6.6 in a 3/4 ton, but I prefer to daily drive the smaller 1500's.

The take numbers on the 3.5 Ecoboost speak for themselves on whether the market has decided if they work or not... No amount of patronizing insults about "cute" motors will change that...

Of course, I don't even have the "big" ecoboost in my F50 - went with the 2.7 Ecoboost and it does everything the V8 it replaced did - just faster, more fuel efficiently, and much more pleasurable to daily drive...

Reality is that EVERY truck brand has its quirks. Just that the Ram owners now need to deal with "change" that Toyota just did, etc...

The take numbers on the 3.5 Ecoboost speak for themselves on whether the market has decided if they work or not... No amount of patronizing insults about "cute" motors will change that...

Of course, I don't even have the "big" ecoboost in my F50 - went with the 2.7 Ecoboost and it does everything the V8 it replaced did - just faster, more fuel efficiently, and much more pleasurable to daily drive...

Reality is that EVERY truck brand has its quirks. Just that the Ram owners now need to deal with "change" that Toyota just did, etc...

The recently updated 5.0 from ford will destroy the 2.7, the only faster engine in that lineup is the 3.5. While towing, the 5.0 will also bring home the best fuel efficiency.

Take rate is irrelevant to me, the half ton segment is driven largely by passenger use where durability and reliability are less important than 0 to 60 bragging rights. My point about no turbos in Ford super duty should be the real proof of this.

I rest my case on how many in the the current RAM family is likely to take the news...
I’ll hold my outlier status.

I think it’s a good move. Can’t argue with results, if these new Hurricane engines are worth their salt, the Hemi will become a distant memory. It’s pretty impressive what they’re getting out of 181ish cubic inches.

The 2.7 will go down as one of the best motors Ford has ever produced.

The recently updated 5.0 from ford will destroy the 2.7, the only faster engine in that lineup is the 3.5. While towing, the 5.0 will also bring home the best fuel efficiency.

Take rate is irrelevant to me, the half ton segment is driven largely by passenger use where durability and reliability are less important than 0 to 60 bragging rights. My point about no turbos in Ford super duty should be the real proof of this.
To discuss fuel efficiency while towing is nonsensical. I have had three 5.3 Silverados. 10 to 12 while towing. The Ford -F150 I now have is 10 to 12 while towing. The only difference is the 3.5 moves it up a mountain pass much faster-which of course brings down mpg. The 5.0 will not do any better.

Last edited:
The 2.7 will go down as one of the best motors Ford has ever produced.

Put me down in the extremely satisfied department with my 2016. It checked every box for what I needed out of my 1/2 ton truck. 7+ years later, and 115,000 trouble free miles, I still smile when I drive it.

I will be very curious how the new engines pan out in the RAM trucks. Time will tell!

Yeah, it won't, depending on the load anyway. The 5.7 hemi is the only 1500 engine that actually saw duty in a 3/4 ton class pickup, it was the base engine in the Ram 2500 for years before it was dropped in favour of just the 6.4. It can take a ton of "abuse" as long as it's maintained and kept cool. Ford doesn't put turbos in their super dutys for good reason, instead they also prefer large displacement NA v8's, exactly what I'm looking for.

If my block swap doesn't happen my next upgrade would likely be a Ford 6.8 or the GM 6.6 in a 3/4 ton, but I prefer to daily drive the smaller 1500's.
And how many 8,000 foot passes do you have where you live?

Oh goodie it uses the "smartphone as a key" like the morons at Tesla. Can companies stop trying to get creative.
Y E S!!! Just give me a real key. And real climate controls with knobs or slides. I don't need an iPad in my vehicle (nor do I want to pay for it).

To discuss fuel efficiency while towing is nonsensical. I have had three 5.3 Silverados. 10 to 12 while towing. The Ford -F150 I now have is 10 to 12 while towing. The only difference is the 3.5 moves it up a mountain pass much faster-which of course brings down mpg. The 5.0 will not do any better.

Fuel efficiency is incredibly important, it always is especially with gas prices going up (this little down swing won't last) What you don't realize in your vague hand waving here is that every single digit of MPG matters at this scale. 1 MPG difference at 10 mpg is a difference of 10 percent. 2 MPG is 20 percent. You may not care, many of us do. And yes the 5.0 is way out in top when it comes to towing fuel efficiency, besting the hemi and the 6.2 gm as well. Many towing reviews demonstrate this.

The air fuel mixture has to be maintained. When you're in the boost you're pushing tons of air through the engine, that necessitates a ton more fuel as well. Basic physics.

I'm sorry you guys got offended by light mockery of the ecobooms and other tiny turbos, its nothing personal but they're not for me.

But I'm done in this thread, no sense arguing about this any further as its obvious the 0 to 60 crowd will be quite happy with this change and the buy it for life crowd like me will avoid these things like the plague. A 2500 is more and more likely in my future. You all can carry on without me.

newer tanks-trucks cost TOOOO much + are too techy for ME + the lack of a manual tranny is NOT acceptable!! as noted good luck with new tech $$$$$

I’ll wait a bit before seriously considering one, but I’m definitely interested. Payload capacity with the HO version kind of sucks though, maximum 1,370lbs vs 1,910 with the regular 3.0.

I picked up my 21 1500 5.7 new in October 21. Was able to grab one without E torque but that stopped being an option in 2022 unfortunately.

I’d consider a real hybrid that was sorted but the E torque doesn’t really do much except make for super smooth stop start operation and lower payload/add complexity.

Once the hurricane is proven I’d seriously consider one for power/unloaded efficiency and lack of the E torque system.

In truth though, I’ll probably keep this truck and pick up a new 3/4 ton for heavy stuff and long hauls in nice weather only. Only used when needed type of service.

And how many 8,000 foot passes do you have where you live?
If you live in Colorado depending on location many mountain passes are well above 8k feet. Turbos tend to help normalize the loss in power as altitude increases.

Reactions: D60
it's a subtle overhaul
IMO this could be said for every styling revision since the early-mid 2000s for Dodge/Ram trucks.

I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, just seems like they are conservative in this area.

Back