2024 Honda Civic Si (11th gen.)

I test drove one of these yesterday. I thought the transmission was terrific. Shifting was some of the best I have experienced.

I wish the car had a few more features and a little more pep, but I was quite impressed.

I was looking at one too for a possible replacement to the leaky Passat wagon. They are really nice cars that handle very well and still seem well built. The Si is one of the last with a manual trans still, which is a rarity. You're right, very nice shifter and I wouldn't mind going back to a row my own after 15 years of autos (well, DSG). Not hatefully expensive and usually flies under the radar with regard to demand. The first car I bought new was an 83 Civic Si. Would be rather ironic for the last one I buy new to be a Civic Si. We'll see.

I was looking at one too for a possible replacement to the leaky Passat wagon. They are really nice cars that handle very well and still seem well built. The Si is one of the last with a manual trans still, which is a rarity. You're right, very nice shifter and I wouldn't mind going back to a row my own after 15 years of autos (well, DSG). Not hatefully expensive and usually flies under the radar with regard to demand. The first car I bought new was an 83 Civic Si. Would be rather ironic for the last one I buy new to be a Civic Si. We'll see.
Which colors do you like? I wish orange were still available.

I test drove one of these yesterday. I thought the transmission was terrific. Shifting was some of the best I have experienced.

I wish the car had a few more features and a little more pep, but I was quite impressed.
Shifting has always been impressive with Hondas. They make the best manual transmissions since the S2000 era, period.

However, that 1.5 turbo engine is NOT a good fit for a sports sedan. If you are coming from an older SI (especially 8th gen), you'll find that the 1.5 engine has no character. It engine offers great fuel economy though, as it is designed to be an economy-oriented platform, but when it comes to performance, it falls behind the other entries with 2.0+ liter engines.

I wish they put a detuned Type-R engine (around 220-230 hp from the factory) to an SI and better brakes, it would have been so much more competitive.

Granted, it is still better than buying a Civic with a CVT, but if you are looking for a compact sports sedan, there are better options available for that price range, especially the Elantra N.

Last edited:
Shifting has always been impressive with Hondas. They make the best manual transmissions since the S2000 era, period.

However, that engine is NOT a good fit for a sports sedan. If you are coming from an older SI (especially 8th gen), you'll find that the 1.5 engine has no character. It engine offers great fuel economy though, as it is designed to be an economy-oriented platform, but when it comes to performance, it falls behind the other entries with 2.0+ liter engines.

I wish they put a detuned Type-R engine to an SI and better brakes, it would have been so much more competitive.

Granted, it is still better than buying a Civic with a CVT, but if you are looking for a compact sports sedan, there are better options available for that price range, especially the Elantra N.

I'm confused, doesn't Honda make a 2.0T? Why didn't they go with that in the Civic SI instead of the 1.5T that nobody seems to like?

I'm confused, doesn't Honda make a 2.0T? Why didn't they go with that in the Civic SI instead of the 1.5T that nobody seems to like?

Because they have the Civic Type-R with a 2.0T engine (around 320 hp).

Since the 10th generation, the SI nameplate became less important for Honda as they finally offered the Type-R in North America.

The best generation SI (in my opinion) is the 8th gen. Very fun to drive, still offers around 200 hp like the current gen, revs 8500 rpm all day long, sounds great, and handles well with the right mods. If you want to install a turbocharger/supercharger, you can get super reliable 400+ hp with stock internals.

I installed a 58mm turbo on my k20a2 back in the 2010s, which was pushing around 410 whp (12 psi) on pump gas. I could have pushed 500+ hp easily, but it was my daily driver. Honda decided to put a forced induction to a Type-R in 2015, so it was 5-6 years before them. A decade ago there was no horsepower inflation like today (thanks to Tesla!!!!!), so having 400-500 hp was a serious thing.

Newer generation Honda kiddos are happy if they can hit 280 hp with their 1.5 turbo SI.

Last edited:
Because they have the Civic Type-R with a 2.0T engine (around 320 hp). Since 10th generation, the SI nameplate became less important for Honda as they finally offered the Type-R in North America.

I see, that makes more sense. I'm not familar with Honda's lineup at all, sorry.

Since we started buying in the 1980s,(according to the magazine publications) they’ve always had the best manual trannies with snick-snick shifters and great clutch take up and pedal placement for heal-toeing. Many publications called them the world’s best and even compared & included the high performance cars from Europe. Of what I read or watched from the publications, Mazda comes close or matches Honda and that’s saying a lot. You can always count on a Honda or Mazda for great manual transmissions.

However, that 1.5 turbo engine is NOT a good fit for a sports sedan. If you are coming from an older SI (especially 8th gen), you'll find that the 1.5 engine has no character. It engine offers great fuel economy though, as it is designed to be an economy-oriented platform, but when it comes to performance, it falls behind the other entries with 2.0+ liter engines.

I wish they put a detuned Type-R engine (around 220-230 hp from the factory) to an SI and better brakes, it would have been so much more competitive.

Besides the Elantra, what do you like?

Besides the Elantra, what do you like?

Everything in this segment is appealing to different types of an audience (drove all options available in North America except A35 AMG and Integra Type-S).

Elantra N: The most fun option, best price/performance ratio, and great warranty if you keep it in stock. Not a fan of their dealers/servicing quality, corporate strategies, and PR disasters but it's a good product overall. It gives you 95% of Type-R performance for 20% cheaper. The interior feels cheap. However, it's updated for 2024, haven't tried it yet.

WRX: If you want AWD, this is the cheapest performance-oriented sedan. Not a fan of how it looks, but that's subjective. The new FA engine seems much more reliable than the outgoing EJ.

Golf R: Like the WRX, it is the only other mainstream AWD option in this segment. I actually ordered one around 1.5 years ago, later booked a press unit for a week, and didn't like it that much. My conclusion was it wasn't worth 20k over my GLI and decided to move my deposit to an Atlas as we needed a 3-row SUV more urgently than another toy. It's a great car if you want an AWD and want to drive a more refined hot-hatch, but not as exciting to drive.

Also applicable to the GTI. GTI just feels a little more special than the Golf R (comes with iconic seats etc.), but losing AWD.

GLI: It offers a different product proposition than other "performance-oriented" sedans. It comes with extra features like memory seats, digital dash, ventilated seats, etc. It gives you the GTI performance with more features and for less money. It just doesn't feel as special as the GTI or Type-R and is not as exciting to drive as the Elantra N. It shares the MQB platform with the GTI, you get tons of aftermarket support.

I bought it because it was the only performance-oriented automatic sedan for the money, my wife can't drive a stick shift, unfortunately. She says I used all of my credit with the motorcycle LOL. There was no DCT Elantra N when I bought the GLI, I'd have bought that instead if it was available 3 years ago. However, it doesn't change the fact that the GLI is the most underrated option in this segment. It feels more refined than others in this price range, which makes it appealing to the typical VW audience.

As of 2024 MY, it is the only sporty VW with a manual transmission. Golf R and GTI will no longer have a stick shift. However, you need to remember that the manual transmission is not as good as Hondas unless you get an aftermarket short shifter. GLI also offers the older interior design with a lot of physical buttons and knobs etc unlike the R/GTI.

GR Corolla: Three-cylinder engine is really fun to drive, it gives you the old-school tuner car feeling from the 1990s-the 2000s, and that's the only car that gives you that mechanical feeling in this segment. However, it is very small and the interior feels like a rental car. I heard the rear diff and the clutch are the weakest points if abused.

Type-R: When I started driving it, I did not like it at first. As a previous Type-R owner (EP3), I expected more drama UNTIL I hit the backroads. It is a different animal and handles like nothing else in this segment. The fun factor is still not as good as the Elantra N, but you will feel Honda put a lot of engineering into this car. It feels different than anything else, but you will only feel it when you push the car. As a daily driver, it is okay, nothing spectacular.

After driving it the way it is made for, it became my favorite in this segment. The front diff is very aggressive, 265 tires have tons of grip, excellent shifter & clutch, and the chassis is very responsive. As much as I do not like modern Hondas, I think the Type-R is the only Honda I'd buy today.

It is the main reason why I canceled my Golf R order. The Golf R is more fun in inclement weather and launch control etc as it is an AWD, but it is not as fun on twisties. If you know how to drive an FWD car on track, you can keep up with much more expensive sports cars like M3/M4 etc.

SI: Severely overshadowed by the Type-R. It became a cheaper alternative for Honda fans / younger demographics who can't afford a Type-R. It's a good car in general and still fun to drive, just not a great compact sports sedan. I already included my opinions in my first post.

S3: It shares the MK7.5 Golf R platform, so it doesn't have the latest torque-distributing rear diff like the MK8 Golf R. It also comes with tons of touch-sensitive buttons. Not a fan. MK8 Golf R is just much better to drive and similarly annoying UX, and cheaper.

Cooper JCW: Didn't like it at all. Unless you are a die-hard MINI fan, not worth considering it. MINI is not the same MINI when it was resurrected back in the 2000s. The R53 was may more fun than today's MINIs. More horsepower doesn't mean more fun.

I'll drive the new Integra Type-S this spring but it should feel similar to the Type-R. No ETA for A35 but that's a luxury entry, not a direct competition.

I hope it helps.

Last edited:
Everything in this segment is appealing to different types of an audience (drove all options available in North America except A35 AMG and Integra Type-S).

Elantra N: The most fun option, best price/performance ratio, and great warranty if you keep it in stock. Not a fan of their dealers/servicing quality, corporate strategies, and PR disasters but it's a good product overall. It gives you 95% of Type-R performance for 20% cheaper. The interior feels cheap. However, it's updated for 2024, haven't tried it yet.

WRX: If you want AWD, this is the cheapest performance-oriented sedan. Not a fan of how it looks, but that's subjective. The new FA engine seems much more reliable than the outgoing EJ.

Golf R: Like the WRX, it is the only other mainstream AWD option in this segment. I actually ordered one around 1.5 years ago, later booked a press unit for a week, and didn't like it that much. My conclusion was it wasn't worth 20k over my GLI and decided to move my deposit to an Atlas as we needed a 3-row SUV more urgently than another toy. It's a great car if you want an AWD and want to drive a more refined hot-hatch, but not as exciting to drive.

Also applicable to the GTI. GTI just feels a little more special than the Golf R (comes with iconic seats etc.), but losing AWD.

GLI: It offers a different product proposition than other "performance-oriented" sedans. It comes with extra features like memory seats, digital dash, ventilated seats, etc. It gives you the GTI performance with more features and for less money. It just doesn't feel as special as the GTI or Type-R and is not as exciting to drive as the Elantra N. It shares the MQB platform with the GTI, you get tons of aftermarket support.

I bought it because it was the only performance-oriented automatic sedan for the money, my wife can't drive a stick shift, unfortunately. She says I used all of my credit with the motorcycle LOL. There was no DCT Elantra N when I bought the GLI, I'd have bought that instead if it was available 3 years ago. However, it doesn't change the fact that the GLI is the most underrated option in this segment. It feels more refined than others in this price range, which makes it appealing to the typical VW audience.

As of 2024 MY, it is the only sporty VW with a manual transmission. Golf R and GTI will no longer have a stick shift. However, you need to remember that the manual transmission is not as good as Hondas unless you get an aftermarket short shifter. GLI also offers the older interior design with a lot of physical buttons and knobs etc unlike the R/GTI.

GR Corolla: Three-cylinder engine is really fun to drive, it gives you the old-school tuner car feeling from the 1990s-the 2000s, and that's the only car that gives you that mechanical feeling in this segment. However, it is very small and the interior feels like a rental car. I heard the rear diff and the clutch are the weakest points if abused.

Type-R: When I started driving it, I did not like it at first. As a previous Type-R owner (EP3), I expected more drama UNTIL I hit the backroads. It is a different animal and handles like nothing else in this segment. The fun factor is still not as good as the Elantra N, but you will feel Honda put a lot of engineering into this car. It feels different than anything else, but you will only feel it when you push the car. As a daily driver, it is okay, nothing spectacular.

After driving it the way it is made for, it became my favorite in this segment. The front diff is very aggressive, 265 tires have tons of grip, excellent shifter & clutch, and the chassis is very responsive. As much as I do not like modern Hondas, I think the Type-R is the only Honda I'd buy today.

It is the main reason why I canceled my Golf R order. The Golf R is more fun in inclement weather and launch control etc as it is an AWD, but it is not as fun on twisties. If you know how to drive an FWD car on track, you can keep up with much more expensive sports cars like M3/M4 etc.

SI: Severely overshadowed by the Type-R. It became a cheaper alternative for Honda fans / younger demographics who can't afford a Type-R. It's a good car in general and still fun to drive, just not a great compact sports sedan. I already included my opinions in my first post.

S3: It shares the MK7.5 Golf R platform, so it doesn't have the latest torque-distributing rear diff like the MK8 Golf R. It also comes with tons of touch-sensitive buttons. Not a fan. MK8 Golf R is just much better to drive and similarly annoying UX, and cheaper.

Cooper JCW: Didn't like it at all. Unless you are a die-hard MINI fan, not worth considering it. MINI is not the same MINI when it was resurrected back in the 2000s. The R53 was may more fun than today's MINIs. More horsepower doesn't mean more fun.

I'll drive the new Integra Type-S this spring but it should feel similar to the Type-R. No ETA for A35 but that's a luxury entry, not a direct competition.

I hope it helps.
Wow, thanks!
I drove a GR Corolla and liked it a lot. I thought the exhaust was a little loud, though.
I looked at the the Golf R. They wouldn't let me drive it. I didn't like the displays and controls that much, also the price, as the dealer where I was wanted a $5K "market adjustment."

I guess I should look at a WRX and a Jetta GLI. My wife and I already like the GTI and plan to get one soon. We are actually looking for two cars, hence the potential Civic Si.

I dont understand why people dont like the 1.5 engine. Its not like the old 2.0 but it has 200 ponies and people get 40 on the highway on a regular basis, it has an LSD and handles great. For 30k I couldnt ask for a better ride.

I dont understand why people dont like the 1.5 engine. Its not like the old 2.0 but it has 200 ponies and people get 40 on the highway on a regular basis, it has an LSD and handles great. For 30k I couldnt ask for a better ride.
It does seem like a very good value.

Absolutely hate the new capacitive controls in the MK8 VW hatches. Plus the TFT displays are not quite as intuitive, especially with regard to the HVAC controls. Progress :rolleyes:. Really like the first gen MQB GLI and would get one in a heartbeat with a DSG (manual VWs are rather meh) IF I could find a pristine example. Would have already taken the depreciation hit so pricewise would be competitive with a new Civic Si. Tuning potential is great as I was pushing ~425HP on my MK 7 GTI (same engine) with FBO and E30 tune. Problem is, everyone likes their GLIs and is hanging onto them, making the used market rather thin.

The ceiling for the SI for tuning is pretty low due to being only 1.5 liters and already having high PSI numbers.
If you want cheap HP get WRX or GTI.
I am a lazy fella and I want fun with minimum cost and maintenance. WRX gets atrocious mileage. GTI is in between.
Racing motorcycles ruined me kind of. Ill row some gears and make some noise in a car but it will never feel fast to me.

Absolutely hate the new capacitive controls in the MK8 VW hatches. Plus the TFT displays are not quite as intuitive, especially with regard to the HVAC controls. Progress :rolleyes:. Really like the first gen MQB GLI and would get one in a heartbeat with a DSG (manual VWs are rather meh) IF I could find a pristine example. Would have already taken the depreciation hit so pricewise would be competitive with a new Civic Si. Tuning potential is great as I was pushing ~425HP on my MK 7 GTI (same engine) with FBO and E30 tune. Problem is, everyone likes their GLIs and is hanging onto them, making the used market rather thin.
I don't like them either. I actually prefer the S model, as the screen is smaller, and it retains some knobs.

Wow, thanks!
I drove a GR Corolla and liked it a lot. I thought the exhaust was a little loud, though.
I looked at the the Golf R. They wouldn't let me drive it. I didn't like the displays and controls that much, also the price, as the dealer where I was wanted a $5K "market adjustment."

I guess I should look at a WRX and a Jetta GLI. My wife and I already like the GTI and plan to get one soon. We are actually looking for two cars, hence the potential Civic Si.
I'd check all options, GLI will be a similar experience to the GTI, but with more physical controls and significantly more legroom in the rear.

For sure GTI is more iconic and sportier, but I think GLI is a better daily driver for families, so as the WRX.

The GLI's trunk has a lot more longitudinal space, in fact it is the class leading when it comes to cargo space. GTI trunk will be more useful once you fold down the rear seats.

Either way please do not pay over MSRP for any of those listed below, none of them are worth it.

Because that engine belongs to an economy or utility vehicle, not a sports sedan. Not to mention Honda didn't bother to fix the fuel dilution issues, they just hide it with a software update.

Although can't really blame Honda, as they offered the Type-R and SI had to be downgraded to make the R more appealing to the enthusiasts.

For 30k it is not a bad vehicle, just not a good sports sedan. There are much better options for a little less. For instance, WRX is just $1000 more expensive, but you get 2.4 liter turbo engine, more horsepower and torque, and AWD.

Everyone likes their GLIs but VW guys love to s**t on GLIs at the same time :LOL:

I genuinely wanted to like the MK8 Golf R, but after driving it, decided not to upgrade. It is definitely better, but not $25k better. Also I didn't want to give up the extra interior space.

That's what makes the GLI appealing to me at least. You get the best bang for the buck, you get all the benefits having an MQB platform including aftermarket support, not many people have it, you won't see a lot on the road.

Last edited:
Back