2023 Ford F150 5.0L oil options

I've owned 3 modern 5.0's

One was nice and quiet (2012 F150). One was nice and rumbly (2013 Mustang).

The third one was loud, rattled, and rattled some more.

Pennzoil, Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, Quaker State, Supertech, Kirkland, Havoline etc.... will all work well. So will Amsoil, Redline, HPL, Liqui Moly, Schaeffers, and Driven. You could even run Mopar or Toyota or Idemitsu.

I prefer 5/30

The world is your oyster.

It’s my sons truck
He’s work requires a truck and long drives
Oil changes will come quick
Not sure a boutique oil will be in the mix

Though it's a 6.2 and not a 5.0 i started using 5w-40 instead of 0w-20 in my 2021 GM by the 14k mark and I'm still under both warranties. That new generation 5.0 has an wet belt for the oil pump which is just disturbing to me, don't care what anyone says that thing is not lasting to 200k+ without breaking apart and clogging the pickup and causing starvation.

Some postulate the ford spec has something special meant to keep the wet belt from degrading faster and some say the wss oil has nothing in it so it doesn't matter since oils are meant to have universal rubber and gasket compatibility. If it didn't it would say so in the owners manual to only use ford spec oil for wet belt longevity which to my knowledge isn't stated. I think the wss oil might simply have very little to no plasticizer which is what HM oils have more of.

Normally i wouldn't be neither against or for using HM in an engine whether old or especially new but i have a feeling the added plasticizer in HM oils might degrade the wet belt faster so maybe never use it.

I’ve tried just about everything in my 21 GT 5.0 from 5W-30 to 0W-40 to 5W-40, various brands. Couldn’t tell a difference between any of them. Still had the tick on nearly every brand and viscosity. Tick will usually subside around 1-1.5k miles into the OCI. Currently has QSFS 5W-30 in it, due for a change here in about 250 miles or so. I don’t think these engines care about the oil brand or viscosity as long as there is oil in there. I’ve read countless stories and threads of 5.0 engines in the Mustang and F-150 going 200-400k miles on Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w-20/30 and even Super Tech or Kirkland oil. The 5.0 is a tried and true engine, run whatever tickles your fancy. It is fun experimenting with different oils and trying new things, but the engine won’t care as long as there’s fresh oil in there.

I’ve tried just about everything in my 21 GT 5.0 from 5W-30 to 0W-40 to 5W-40, various brands. Couldn’t tell a difference between any of them. Still had the tick on nearly every brand and viscosity. Tick will usually subside around 1-1.5k miles into the OCI. Currently has QSFS 5W-30 in it, due for a change here in about 250 miles or so. I don’t think these engines care about the oil brand or viscosity as long as there is oil in there. I’ve read countless stories and threads of 5.0 engines in the Mustang and F-150 going 200-400k miles on Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w-20/30 and even Super Tech or Kirkland oil. The 5.0 is a tried and true engine, run whatever tickles your fancy. It is fun experimenting with different oils and trying new things, but the engine won’t care as long as there’s fresh oil in there.
I’d probably agree !👍

Reactions: wlk
Some Full Syn. 5w30 in bulk containers, I thought that truck had a 8 quart capacity. Sounds like he’ll be changing a lot of oil and running up the miles.

My 5.0 ran great on Valvoline EP, QSUP, and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I preferred the Pennzoil over them all and it is what I am running now in my 3.5.

My 5.0 ran great on Valvoline EP, QSUP, and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I preferred the Pennzoil over them all and it is what I am running now in my 3.5.
Ultra Platinum doesn’t have the latest Ford spec fyi. No idea why. Regular Platinum does. Even some blends do. Makes no sense. 🤷‍♂️

5.0's aren't particularly hard on oil. I moved from 0-20 to 5-30 in my 15 Lariat 5.0 and will remain there. I use largely Mobil 1 for 7500 mile OIC's with Fram Ultra. That combo works well for me.

5.0's aren't particularly hard on oil. I moved from 0-20 to 5-30 in my 15 Lariat 5.0 and will remain there. I use largely Mobil 1 for 7500 mile OIC's with Fram Ultra. That combo works well for me.
That was my curiosity about the 5.0 engine. I didn’t think that they were hard on oil so brand wasn’t a big issue. Thanks

I would argue it depends how much ethanol you put through them. I have seen more aggressive TBN breakdown from that. Regardless, pick your favorite and go from there

Back