2020 Toyota 4Runner Differential Front & Rear

Call your dealership and ask them, I bet they don't even stock the 75w85. Almost everybody that I've heard of using it had to order it and I've seen multiple reports of the dealerships telling people that if they bring it in for service it will be filled with bulk 75w90 unless the customer requests 75w85.

The 75w transfer case oil is a different story, I've heard of people using 75w90 with no issues but I think in there I would stay with what's recommended. 75w is significantly thinner than 75w90 and you can buy Ravenol 75w or Redline 75w for reasonable prices online. No more often than you'll be doing it and with it only calling for (1.6 quarts, Iirc ) even the Toyota oil isn't gonna break the bank. The Toyota stuff is about $60 per liter, Redline 75w is $18/quart.

Originally Posted by CT8
It depends upon your useage thicker oil helps with the shock loading and protection with greater loads I use 75W140 in my Toyotas [now my sons] rear differentials I never noticed and MPG differences.

How true. I switched 3 of my vehicles from 75w-90 to 75w-140 last Spring with no difference in MPG. Yes, I was surprised too! Made the axles quiet and smooth.

Originally Posted by Delta
Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Pay attention if rear diff needs LSD oil/additive...

My LC has clutches in rear one...

Not needed in 2020 models, they do not have a mechanical LSD. It's all ABS controlled "auto LSD."

OK....

But... "meh" anyway
smile.gif

Originally Posted by jrommelt
Ok,
Other than Cost and MPG is there any Negative or Detrimental using 110....140

I don't think you'll have problem (former Toyota Master Tech) but why do you want to use the higher viscosity? For years, Toyota speced 80w90 in their live axles. Nothing has really changed about the axles, other than the desire to maximize MPG for CAFE.

I ran 75w90 in my last 4Runner. 22 years and no issues. I will probably use 75w90 in the new TRD ORP, when the time comes.

As was also mentioned, I think you'll find that most dealers that service these trucks, put in bulk 75w90.

The only reason why newer vehicles are calling for 75W85 instead of 75W90 is for fuel economy as it's a slightly thinner oil. Problem is that it's higher cost and harder to find. I would have no problem running a 75W90 instead as there should be no negative effects. If you're not living somewhere cold, you could even go with the standard 80W90

Calls for 75W-85.
Can I use 75W-110 (Amsoil) ?

Amsoil 75w110 all the way - have used both Amsoil & RL 75w110 for over 210K miles on my Toyo Highlander.!!!

Did you use 110 in Front Differential also?

Yes both x-case and diff - also the diffs fluids was always dirty compared to the x-case!!

I use Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90 in my 15 Tacoma rear end. At 30K interval it looks brand new. I'm sure most gear oils would be the same with the kinda driving I do.

Back