2013 4Runner Transfer Gear Oil Question

Working on changing the Differential Fluids in this 4Runner. This is one of those that wants that 75W Special Gear oil. HPL has that special gear oil. What are you using in the front and rear diffs and the transfer
case?

Last edited:
There are many threads debating this back and forth. Search the forum.

Ravenol MT3 75W is in there now. 4 quarts of HPL 75W are on the shelf for the next change. The same HPL is in my Volvo V70R manual transmission.

Ravenol MT3 is in there now. 4 quarts of HPL are on the shelf for the next change.
Hey my friend, I was gonna text you. ;) Let's get specific. Are you gonna use the same viscosity in the diffs and transfer case?
OR are you gonna use the 75W in the transfer case?

Hey my friend, I was gonna text you. ;) Let's get specific. Are you gonna use the same viscosity in the diffs and transfer case?
OR are you gonna use the 75W in the transfer case?
Happy to text. The 75W is for the transfer case.

The truck specs, I think, a 75W 90 in the rear end, and a 75W 85 in the front differential. I will use the 75W 90 in both.

I’ve still got some AMSOIL on the shelf, but I’ve also got a bunch of HPL 75W 90 gear oil for the next change.

If I did not have a pre-existing stash, I would have nothing but HPL in the truck now.

The Ravenol was all I could find several years ago when I changed it.

HPL is less expensive, and I like supporting small businesses.

Happy to text. The 75W is for the transfer case.

The truck specs, I think, a 75W 90 in the rear end, and a 75W 85 in the front differential. I will use the 75W 90 in both.

I’ve still got some AMSOIL on the shelf, but I’ve also got a bunch of HPL 75W 90 gear oil for the next change.

If I did not have a pre-existing stash, I would have nothing but HPL in the truck now.

The Ravenol was all I could find several years ago when I changed it.

HPL is less expensive, and I like supporting small businesses.
Yep, I'm sorta in the same boat. I got 8 gal of HPL oil and only 4 qts 75W-90 gear oil left.

I really am just trying to decide what to do with the transfer case. I know what the book calls for. My brain is in
conflict between using the 75W or the 75W-90. Do you believe the 75W is the best for your transfer case's
longevity? I get conflicted when I see lubes getting thinner to help increase gas mileage.

A lot of people claim that the 75W specifications is purely for gas mileage. I don’t honestly know. I would stick with what Toyota intended, regardless of the reason, so, 75W for the transfer case.

Running the standard valvoline synthetic 90 weight gear oil in my son’s. I think somewhere out towards internet middle earth i read where the same tcase used to call for 90 before they changed it to 70. It’s not a thermostatically-regulated device with a specific controlled temperature range. I might have some questions if it uses pressurized lubrication (I don’t know?) but my decision was they are close enough to not be a problem. If I lived north of Maine I would give a higher lean to 75W.

One of the ‘Yota forum threads I found also suggested that Toyota’s oem juice may have a formulation with a longer oxidation life or other chemical robustness, and the thoughts there are if that is a thing, just change it more often than 100k.

75w90 in all 3 and dont lose sleep over it.

this was from toyota directly about the transfer case. so dont over think it
TCOIL.jpg

I changed the gear oil in our 5th gen 4Runner front diff, rear axle, and T-case today. I went with Redline 75w90. Why?, none of the drivetrain components have changed in their construction in decades. Not since 75w90 was speced for all three by Toyota anyway.

I went with Redline based on my experience with it.

Back