2020 Fusion; difficult replacement

2020 Ford fusion. Have to remove two side / trim panels, four bolts pull out the entire glove box to reach the cabin filter. Any other cars out there that are PITA?

My 2015 Altima was similar by removing the glovebox and some console trim panels. And if I ever just wanted to check the filter, it would pull apart trying to remove it so, I'd just replace it.
However, the 2006 mazda3 that my daughter owned was so involved that I never changed the cabin air filter. I think it may have taken me several hours on the first try and maybe less after some experience.

2016 Ford Cmax
Not real hard but in front of the center console.. Totally blind ordeal...
Dad's 2015 Escape, and brother's 17 escape, it's identical to my Cmax...
if you look up the official instructions, it's similar to what OP posted...
there is of course an "easier" way...
it's slightly easier in the escapes, as they sit a smidge taller than the Cmax.

Sometimes it's the little things. My Hayabusa needed all the plastics removed on the right side as well as the lower fronts to get to the oil filter... which included dealing with all the plastic push pins and other non standard fasteners. It was a real pita just to change an oil filter.

Guess what my ZX-14 needs removed to reach the oil filter? Absolutely nothing... Kawasaki left an open spot in the front lower spoiler so you can just reach up and spin the filter off and on. No oil leakage on the headers or anywhere else unlike my Hayabusa.

Guess which bike I sold? 😉

Dad's 2015 Escape, and brother's 17 escape, it's identical to my Cmax...
if you look up the official instructions, it's similar to what OP posted...
there is of course an "easier" way...
it's slightly easier in the escapes, as they sit a smidge taller than the Cmax.
Once you figure it out it's only a 5 minute job but a blind one on the 2016 Cmax.

The filter on both my Jeep and Camry are behind the glove box. But I found Youtube videos for both, that show how to remove and replace them without having to remove the glove box door.

For any of you who are attempting to do this, always check Youtube first. There are many time and aggravation saving videos posted on these type of jobs..... For most all makes and models. Visual aids always beat words.

2005 VW Beetle. The cabin air filter is at the top of the dash, so much of the dash panels have to come apart just to swap the filter.

The initial replacement of the cabin air filter on the 2nd generation Honda Odyssey (1999-2004) minivan is a P.I.T.A. Not only do you have to completely remove the glovebox and assorted trim pieces, you have to cut out a plastic crossmember brace behind it with a Sawzall! The metal brace in front of the plastic crossmember is re-installed with 8mm bolts & phillips head screws so no additional cutting is required on subsequent CAF replacements. This is discussed at 3 minutes into the attached video.

The initial replacement of the cabin air filter on the 2nd generation Honda Odyssey (1999-2004) minivan is a P.I.T.A. Not only do you have to completely remove the glovebox and assorted trim pieces, you have to cut out a plastic crossmember brace behind it with a Sawzall! The metal brace in front of the plastic crossmember is re-installed with 8mm bolts & phillips head screws so no additional cutting is required on subsequent CAF replacements. This is discussed at 3 minutes into the attached video.

Why even have a cabin air filter at that point? 😆 I'm assuming there must be some rule governing that... at least in the U.S.

It seems like they put them in with no intention of them being replaced?

That’s when Acura was first putting CAF into their vehicles. My ‘03 TL-S needed the same thing the first time.

The real problem was if I didn’t stay on top of filter maintenance, meaning change annually with OEM replacement, the airflow on the full-auto climate control at certain times of the year dropped so low it would cause burn-out of the transistor pack controlling the blower motor.
I became good at detecting the burning smell of it overheating, and I’d crank up the speed control until the weekend.

2020 Ford fusion. Have to remove two side / trim panels, four bolts pull out the entire glove box to reach the cabin filter. Any other cars out there that are PITA?
My past few hondas have been super easy to change...Just lower the glovebox and you are looking right at it...

Back