2020 escape misfiring on cylinder 1 after replacing spark plugs

Hi everyone. My 2020 escape I use for work has 100,000 miles and i replaced the sparkplugs the other day. Long story short. Ran great for 3 days then started misfiring on cyl 1. I removed the coil pack looked around and bolted it back down....ran great again for a couple days then same thing. I remived coil pack again did same thing and it runs great again
What the heck is going on? I cant see how it could just lose contact with the plug? Thanks for any info you may have. Engine is a 3cyl 1.5l ecoboost dragon.

My internet WAG would be the coil pack.
In my experience, Ford coil packs are good for 100-110K.

My internet WAG would be the coil pack.
In my experience, Ford coil packs are good for 100-110K.

That's a little high in my experience 😁😁😁

Usually by 100,000 you are on your 3rd set of coil packs. Or maybe that's just 4.6/5.4/6.8 engines?

My guess would be the boot was damaged. I'd try to replace the boot before an expensive ignition coil.

That's a little high in my experience 😁😁😁

Usually by 100,000 you are on your 3rd set of coil packs. Or maybe that's just 4.6/5.4/6.8 engines?

My guess would be the boot was damaged. I'd try to replace the boot before an expensive ignition coil.

Could be true with the 4.6 and larger.
I've owned many Ford products.
I have owned several 4's and 6's, and a feature was that every single one had a CP drop in the 100-110K range.
However, experiences vary.

Don't also forget to check the wire harness for the coil pack.
I once did a spark plug change and started having miss fires. It stayed with the cylinder which ended up being a wire on the connector that got pulled out.

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the escape just this makes me worry. Ill try your suggestions. Thanks guys

Especially if you bought them from a non reputable retailer
I no longer trust plugs from Amazon/eBay
RockAuto or Advance/AutoZone (or your local brick and mortar retailer of choice)

You don't trust plugs from Advance or AutoZone?

Insulator could also have been cracked at some point in shipping, installation or dropped on the floor in the warehouse or store.

If the above doesn't work, pull the plug and check to see if the gap got closed (somewhat) accidentally in shipping. It happens.

Just to update everyone. Took the plugs out and found a hairline crack in the porcelain on plug #1.....all fixed now. Thanks guy's!

Usually from over tightening like i mention. A torque wrench will help you not to do that next time . Good find.

Back