2019 Subaru Forester. First look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I'm okay with CVT only. Subaru's CVTs have proven to be reliable.

If anybody is looking at used Forester XTs with CVTs, this info might be of interest...
"This Service Information announcement provides information regarding three new production enhancements to the CVT transmission (model TR690) used in the Forester model with 2.0L DIT (Direct Injection Turbo) engine:
•An in-line CVT fluid filter has been added to reduce the possibility of contamination entering the lock-up circuit of the valve body
•Machining of an existing fluid passage in the transmission case to accept the new filter
•A smaller corresponding port on the mating surface of the valve body along with a sealing o-ring was added to retain the filter in the transmission case.
COUNTERMEASURE IN PRODUCTION
The revised valve body was incorporated into production 9/17/2013 with transmission #631685.
All three of the changes listed above were incorporated into production 9/21/2013 starting with VIN E*503139 and transmission #632523."

My '14 didn't get the filter and I just had the valve body replaced about a month ago. There is no way to retrofit the filter into the older transmissions and I guess I will only have one if I end up needing a totally new transmission. I guess I made it 80kmiles without an issue, if I can get to 160k before it comes up again I will probably be sick of the car and maybe could sell it to somebody looking to stuff a 6MT into it.
;^)
I guess I'm still ahead of my '06 RAV4 on repair history, that needed a ~$3500 AWD system repair just past going out of warranty at 60kmiles. The CVT valve body replacement was covered under an extended 10 year/100kmile warranty that Subaru provided for 1.5 million 2010-2015 vehicles.

Not a fan at all and I’m considering leaving the brand after 21 years. I’ve been holding onto my rare XT manual for so long hoping for something better from Subaru but it’s not going to happen.

I sort of like the Sport better but it has less options than on the other models and the orange is overdone and goofy. The new Subaru Global Platform is getting rave revews, and I would even consider overlooking some of the goofiness and lack of a manual, but the negatives outweigh the positives IMO.

If the Crosstrek gets the PHEV and has around 200 hp combined, I’d consider that.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: Warlord
I’ll die before I own a cvt. I guess a new forester is no longer in my future.

You should check out a VW Golf Alltrack which offers a manual or a 6 speed DSG transmission.

I believe the auto is no longer the DSG for 2018. The new APR plus with a 5 year Powertrain Warranty sounds enticing though. I contacted APR about the Tiguan yesterday.

Quote:
Thanks for reaching out to us at APR! Unfortunately we do not offer software for the 2018 tiguan yet. The new Tiguan uses a new type of ECU that we are still developing software for. We definitely plan to offer software for this platform but do not have an ETA of when we will offer software at this time.

Last edited:
I bought a 2015 Forester with CVT to have a AWD car my wife or daughter or myself can drive with decent MPG. I knew it was not a Mercedes (fancy) or Porsche (sport) when I bought it. But it was $25K (new). Not $50K.

At 65 I no longer feel the need to shift a manual or accelerate rapidly. While I can drive a manual, no one else who might drive the car can. They warrantied the CVT for 100K.

I think it looks fine, not much different than the old one which was a success, so why mess with the formula? The shape can't change much and remain practical so slapping a bunch of angled stuff on to make it look "new" isn't going to draw more buyers.
I've read in a few places that Subaru is getting buyers who liked the old Volvo brand. Practical, safe cars with potentially even better reliability. That's basically why we bought ours. Extreme styling and turbo performance weren't criteria on our comparison sheet.

Well, first off, I'm not a lezbian, nor am I a Birkenstock-wearer, so, the Forester has never appealed to me. But seriously, they lost me at "no more XT". Actually they lost my interest altogether when they quit offering a stickshift.

Has the Forester EVER been a good looking vehicle? Never IMO. They've got everything else going for them though.

Manual Transmissions are dead. Accept it, mourn them, go forward.

Only 8-10% of the market wants them - at best.

Secondly manuals create a spike in the emissions at the shift points that is not a problem with the CVT or traditional automatics = harder to certify for all 50 states and other markets.

I like to drive stick; I had 5sp Ford Bronco II, 5sp Honda Accord, wife had 3 manuals before we married. I still ride my Yamaha, but in traffic I do not miss the annoying need to creep along doing all the footwork.

And now the autos / CVT are more fuel efficient than the manuals so the arguments for the old - simple - tech are mostly gone.

I guess in Vermont, the gender non-specific die hard Suby fanboys and girls (TBD orientation) will shed a tear, but I admit that I don't like Subaru and will avoid them for my own reasons.

That this new version is ugly will help it appeal to their traditional base market. Zipping up flame suit :eek:)

Last edited:
Starbucks secretly donated to the demise of the MT … it cuts into coffee sales
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: Warlord
I’ll die before I own a cvt. I guess a new forester is no longer in my future.

You should check out a VW Golf Alltrack which offers a manual or a 6 speed DSG transmission.

I didn’t even know this existed. I like it!

It always seemed to me like a lot of Subaru buyers were the adventurous type who wanted a more interesting driving experience and would opt to shift their own gears. I’d say almost half of the used Subaru’s around here seem to be sticks. To me a cvt is just the ultimate way to dull a driving experience. I think this is a mistake by the company.

One of my staff is a serious rock crawling and rock sliding Jeep hand … no vehicle/driver annoys him more when they think Subies do more than snow over pavement … or lighter off road use …
(He quit pulling them all out unless they have kids or ?) …

I have pulled them out in the sand before … great AWD system but don’t always have the clearance/tires required …
There is a difference in just a pumpkin pushing through -vs- too much of the underside dragging …

I've always kind of liked the Forester, and even thought about the XT recently before getting my truck. The CVT threw me off a bit on the new model.

This redesign looks kind of neat. Of course no manual, its something like less than 5% of auto sales in the US are manual. These CUVs or whatever they want to be called are more appliances than long term vehicles. Its pretty rare to see an older Forester, rav 4, or CR-V around me. I see tons of new ones, but no idea where the old ones go.

I bet this sells pretty well.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Its pretty rare to see an older Forester, rav 4, or CR-V around me. I see tons of new ones, but no idea where the old ones go.

They may be getting exported to other countries? I had my 2006 CRV up on Kijij for 20 minutes at $2500 before I had a guy calling about it who was an exporter. I hadn't got a chance to clean it up and take some pictures to explain the low price, but he was going to take it if it looked good(it doesn't).
The early versions of these vehicles probably are much more durable and repairable in 3rd world country conditions than the newer models.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Well, first off, I'm not a lezbian, nor am I a Birkenstock-wearer, so, the Forester has never appealed to me. But seriously, they lost me at "no more XT". Actually they lost my interest altogether when they quit offering a stickshift.

The Birkenstock crowd in the Bay Area moved onto Uber or Audi, the typical Subaru driver wears Patagonia these days.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: IveBeenRued

Routine maintenance DIY time estimates (based on first-hand experience with my neighbor's 2016 Forester with the 2.5L H4):
Air filter, ~5 minutes, does require you to remove that pseudo-ram-air thing (held on by two reusable plastic clips).
Oil change, Serpentine belt change, ~10 minutes including tensioner replacement.
Spark plug replacement, 16" spark plug socket, 3" locking extension, and a fairly accurate torque wrench (aluminum heads).
Battery replacement, haven't done this yet on my neighbors but I am estimating
I am guessing Subaru will have zero trouble moving these vehicles.

I enjoy working on my friend's Subies for PM, they are like a RWD car. Subaru is now being as conservative as Toyota was, still using spin-on filters. If I had a Topsider, I can change oil like some of the Benz guys do from the top and not touch the drain plug. I recently replaced a side mirror on a friend's 16, her car was a base model and as plasticky as a GM product I was able to get the job done in 30 minutes.

I think the new FA/FB engines use a stretch belt - no tensioner and I don't think Subaru is jumping on the "micro-hybrid" bandwagon like Hyundai and GM do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nthach
Originally Posted By: IveBeenRued

Routine maintenance DIY time estimates (based on first-hand experience with my neighbor's 2016 Forester with the 2.5L H4):
Air filter, ~5 minutes, does require you to remove that pseudo-ram-air thing (held on by two reusable plastic clips).
Oil change, Serpentine belt change, ~10 minutes including tensioner replacement.
Spark plug replacement, 16" spark plug socket, 3" locking extension, and a fairly accurate torque wrench (aluminum heads).
Battery replacement, haven't done this yet on my neighbors but I am estimating
I am guessing Subaru will have zero trouble moving these vehicles.

I enjoy working on my friend's Subies for PM, they are like a RWD car. Subaru is now being as conservative as Toyota was, still using spin-on filters. If I had a Topsider, I can change oil like some of the Benz guys do from the top and not touchhttps://usa.ingrammicro.com/_layouts/CommerceServer/IM/ProductDetails.aspx?id=US01@@9500@@10@@2DA892 the drain plug. I recently replaced a side mirror on a friend's 16, her car was a base model and as plasticky as a GM product I was able to get the job done in 30 minutes.

I think the new FA/FB engines use a stretch belt - no tensioner and I don't think Subaru is jumping on the "micro-hybrid" bandwagon like Hyundai and GM do.

I never realized how easy they were to work on until I owned one. They are so much mroe accessible than the front drivers I'm used to. Or even my pickup where the engine is under the dash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back