2018 VW Tiguan and TMPS

Is there any reason with TMPS it can’t tell you the specific tire that is low? Our Tiguan has a fancy nice standard touch screen with beautiful picture of Tiguan and systems. For tire fault they don’t show you which one just all of them.

My previous 2007 MDX would have primitive LCD of vehicle with flashing tire where it was low.

My Audi doesn't tell which tire is low either even though it has TPMS sensors in all 5 wheels. Using VAGCom would probably give the individual readout but the MMS display doesn't.

Last edited:
My 2010 Escape was like that… if you used Forscan you could see which tire it was but on the dash it just said low tire pressure or service tpms. Lazy programming IMO.

Now the Volt shows each tire on a little picture of the car like you said. That’s how it should be… if you’re going to bother with this system may as well make it as useful as possible!

Is there any reason with TMPS it can’t tell you the specific tire that is low? Our Tiguan has a fancy nice standard touch screen with beautiful picture of Tiguan and systems. For tire fault they don’t show you which one just all of them.

My previous 2007 MDX would have primitive LCD of vehicle with flashing tire where it was low.
2018 I think, does not have sensors in the wheels. It uses ABS to determine if there is a difference in rolling between tires and warns you that there is an issue.
Downside: It cannot tell pressure or individual tire.
Upside: you do not have to worry about sensors, batteries, modules.

2018 I think, does not have sensors in the wheels. It uses ABS to determine if there is a difference in rolling between tires and warns you that there is an issue.
Downside: It cannot tell pressure or individual tire.
Upside: you do not have to worry about sensors, batteries, modules.
My 2020 Tiguan is the same way. But I’m not complaining for all the reasons you list. No sensors to worry about and winter tires are not a problem.

If it tells you that there’s a low tire, it takes you anywhere from five seconds to two minutes to figure out which one depending upon the severity of the leak.

My 2020 Tiguan is the same way. But I’m not complaining for all the reasons you list. No sensors to worry about and winter tires are not a problem.
Yep, Atlas is the same way. My 2011 Tiguan has individual sensors. When I was buying a winter set for Atlas, I spent half a day looking for sensors and could not find them. I asked @TiGeo and he confirmed that it does not have.

a 2012+ CC with the 433 Mhz sensors would tell you the individual pressures. Earlier CC's and other VW's with 315 Mhz sensors did not tell you the pressures of what tire.

ABS-based TPMS works upon setting the wheel speed for the pressure, after driving it around for a little bit. When the wheel speed deviates breaking a threshold (spinning too fast), it will then trigger the idiot light.

But.. one should always keep a tire pressure gauge in the car, where it's easily accessible, as sometimes, when the tire cross that threshold, it would still look fine from the outside.

the nice thing about ABS-based is when it comes to buying new wheels. No need for sensors, as well as no worries about sensors running out of battery charge.

Yep, Atlas is the same way. My 2011 Tiguan has individual sensors. When I was buying a winter set for Atlas, I spent half a day looking for sensors and could not find them. I asked @TiGeo and he confirmed that it does not have.
You don't have a TPMS reset in the infotainment?

The owner's manual would have described the TPMS system and how to reset it.

Thanks for insight, replacing sensors on our Acura is a pain yep.

I get advantage and under why VAG does it this way and saves money.

Maybe a speed sensor is flaky because it tripped doing 80 mph on RT95 and every tire was at 36 psi.

It was easy to reset thru the fancy UI they have at least……

Your VW Tiguan doesn’t have in tire TPMS. It uses speed sensors.
Air all tires up to 38 psi and reset the onscreen display. The owners manual will explain the process.

Is there a reset button on your Tiguan with sensors? Of course not, it automatically syncs up with the TPMS module unless something is wrong with the sensor.
Lol. Yes it does, it syncs, as well as if new sensors are installed.
So does if I switch tires on Atlas. I never reset between summer and winter set.

Back