2018 Transit transmission replacement costs

The point being is that the GM's version of the ten speed isn't failing in the numbers the F-150's are. Nor-are the reports of "clunky shifting" as widespread. I just traded a clunky, sloppy, unrefined 10 speed in a 2020 F150 w/40,000 miles on a 2023 Silverado w/the 5.3 and 10 speed. The refinement difference between the two is nothing short of dramatic. And it's a shame because the 3.5 is one impressive motor-hampered by a less than stellar transmission.
So yea-I can comment because I have experience with both trucks.
Sounds like you forgot to answer the question....what percentage of the Ford 10 speeds do you think fail?

"A friend of a friend' eh? Sounds believable, lol.

Just curious, what percentage of 10 speeds do you think are defective? I'm not talking about a mysterious 'friend of a friend'.....what do YOU think?
Okay how about think about this..are we talking about percentage that have failed at the extremely low mileage that most are still at now? Or percentage of all of them that would fail if they were able to be driven 200k miles? 100k miles? The way you're asking this question makes me think you haven't thought it through.

I know many will get written off or scrapped for other mechanical failures but if that factor was taken out and we said we wanted them to last 200k, the failure rate would probably be over 50%.

And sorry I know it's your job to call ******** on everyone on the internet that doesn't share your unique perspective (or maybe you're employed by ford to defend these transmissions? But my friend is one of my closest friends who I met years ago when we worked at a Ford dealership...we both have lots of contacts in the auto industry. Said transmission guy I have not met but I know for a fact that it's a true story and I don't give a rats rear what you think about that. Lol.
Another guy both of us know was the trans tech when I worked there and he retired when the 10 speeds started failing regularly and Ford was being difficult with warranty dealings.

Sounds like you forgot to answer the question....what percentage of the Ford 10 speeds do you think fail?
I don't know.But if it's your truck to the tune of $7,500-well before 100,000 miles-it's one too much....Unless you lived with one-which you apparently haven't -it's a moot point. There are no excuses-it's a poor piece of engineering on Ford's part. I not going to debate with you further-since I have owned one-and now own a Silverado. I know the difference.
I'm out.

Last edited:
I don't know.But if it's your truck to the tune of $7,500-well before 100,000 miles-it's one too much....Unless you lived with one-which you apparently haven't -it's a mute point. There are no excuses-it's a poor piece of engineering on Ford's part. I not going to debate with you further-since I have owned one-and now own a Silverado. I know the difference.
I'm out.
I think that you mean 'moot' point, lol.

Understood.....you truly have no idea what percentage of the Ford 10 speeds are defective. I can understand why you bowed out.

Okay how about think about this..are we talking about percentage that have failed at the extremely low mileage that most are still at now? Or percentage of all of them that would fail if they were able to be driven 200k miles? 100k miles? The way you're asking this question makes me think you haven't thought it through.

I know many will get written off or scrapped for other mechanical failures but if that factor was taken out and we said we wanted them to last 200k, the failure rate would probably be over 50%.

And sorry I know it's your job to call ******** on everyone on the internet that doesn't share your unique perspective (or maybe you're employed by ford to defend these transmissions? But my friend is one of my closest friends who I met years ago when we worked at a Ford dealership...we both have lots of contacts in the auto industry. Said transmission guy I have not met but I know for a fact that it's a true story and I don't give a rats rear what you think about that. Lol.
Another guy both of us know was the trans tech when I worked there and he retired when the 10 speeds started failing regularly and Ford was being difficult with warranty dealings.
Since you asked for a defining point, let's say 125K miles. What percentage of the 10R80 Ford transmissions do you think fail before that point? Although I can appreciate that you think 50% would fail before 200k miles. How many flush/fill cycles do you think they should have had by 200K miles, given your 50% failure rate prediction? Just curious.

As far as your second paragraph....I'm sorry you got so triggered. Deep breathing, okay? (although I do have to say it made my day to read your comment that you think I might be here as an 'employee of Ford to defend these transmissions'). I assure you Ford couldn't care less about the BITOG forum, but that is an interesting assessment.

For the record, I do think Ford has some issues with this transmission. I hear a lot of people complaining about the clunkiness of them. I also know (and have driven) ones that are perfectly smooth. I do think there is a failure rate on them, and I think that failure rate is small (I know the top Ford technician at a local dealership who has no reason to lie about it in my private conversations with him since we've been friends since kindergarten)

Last edited:
Since you asked for a defining point, let's say 125K miles. What percentage of the 10R80 Ford transmissions do you think fail before that point? Although I can appreciate that you think 50% would fail before 200k miles. How many flush/fill cycles do you think they should have had by 200K miles, given your 50% failure rate prediction? Just curious.

As far as your second paragraph....I'm sorry you got so triggered. Deep breathing, okay? (although I do have to say it made my day to read your comment that you think I might be here as an 'employee of Ford to defend these transmissions'). I assure you Ford couldn't care less about the BITOG forum, but that is an interesting assessment. lol
I couldn't even begin to guess how many are getting proper maintenance but I'm sure it's not many... however with many of them fail before 80k miles it may not be as significant a factor as you think.

Also how many of the ones that don't fail (whatever percentage that may be) do you think just go to the grocery store and daycare etc...instead of actual truck work? I bet mustang transmissions have lower failure rates just because of the weight difference.

I know you don't work for ford, I was just trying to give you a bit of your own medicine.

I couldn't even begin to guess how many are getting proper maintenance but I'm sure it's not many... however with many of them fail before 80k miles it may not be as significant a factor as you think.

Also how many of the ones that don't fail (whatever percentage that may be) do you think just go to the grocery store and daycare etc...instead of actual truck work? I bet mustang transmissions have lower failure rates just because of the weight difference.

I know you don't work for ford, I was just trying to give you a bit of your own medicine.

Well, if your attempt was to 'give me a bit of my own medicine' then you definitely fell short of that mark as I wasn't giving out any medicine. I can ask what people think the failure rates are....even if for some strange reason that gets you triggered.

But I hear ya.....'you can't even begin to guess' as far as the percentage. It is hard to tell from the words you typed above, but you seem to be saying that 'many of them fail before 80k miles'.

Okay, what percentage do you think fail before 80k miles?

Last year I test drove a brand new Explorer with that 10-speed and the 2.3 EB. I didn't like it at all. If I drove it relatively aggressively it felt OK but then the fuel economy tanked because it was turbo. Around town, driving normally, trying to get good fuel economy, it had no idea what to do and drove me nuts. At that time I was driving a 2010 Escape with the 6F35 that many people say shifts inconsistently. I was so glad to be back in that after the test drive haha.

I do understand that it's a smart transmission with adaptive learning but I know how a Ford transmission that's in default strategy behaves because at one point my 6F35 in the Escape was being weird so I changed the fluid and used Forscan to reset it and took it for a drive and it was still better in the first few miles than that Explorer was. If you can't make it good enough for a customer to test drive a new vehicle what have you really done?

I like Ford, I do. I have owned many. But based on that experience I am not surprised these units are dying early. Some shifts are too soft, some shifts were too harsh... probably not good for the transmission.

As I mentioned - I got rid of my 2020 F150 because of the transmission. After I traded mine in ( at the Chevrolet Dealership) there were three more low miles F150 that were traded in as well. All local trades according to Carfax. I know there are numerous reasons why some trade in- but you can't help but to speculate as to why.....

As I mentioned - I got rid of my 2020 F150 because of the transmission. After I traded mine in ( at the Chevrolet Dealership) there were three more low miles F150 that were traded in as well. All local trades according to Carfax. I know there are numerous reasons why some trade in- but you can't help but to speculate as to why.....

Why would you trade in a brand new F150 on a new Silverado unless you hated it? Those trucks are both super nice and pretty similar in features, comfort, tech. I suspect you are right about the fact that people didn't like the transmission on the Fords.

Why would you trade in a brand new F150 on a new Silverado unless you hated it? Those trucks are both super nice and pretty similar in features, comfort, tech. I suspect you are right about the fact that people didn't like the transmission on the Fords.
I have to agree. Most of the other major problems they can have aren't likely to happen until much higher miles. And at this point most high mileage examples are just a lot of highway driving.

So oil changes are 175 bucks and tire rotation & balance is 250?
No.They have a "special" it's about a $100.00 to $125.00 for an oil change/tire rotation. The hourly shop rate is $250.00-maybe I wasn't clear. I assume the oil is the MotorCraft syn blend.

No.They have a "special" it's about a $100.00 to $125.00 for an oil change/tire rotation. The hourly shop rate is $250.00-maybe I wasn't clear. I assume the oil is the MotorCraft syn blend.
Guess I'm getting old. I see the signs for synthetic oil changes at Walmart for 59 bucks and say to myself "Who would pay that"

Guess I'm getting old. I see the signs for synthetic oil changes at Walmart for 59 bucks and say to myself "Who would pay that"
I'm am getting old. I'm 67- conversely- I'm done crawling underneath vehicles and removing skid plates and what not to change the oil. So it costs what it costs.

Back