2018 Transit transmission replacement costs

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
130k on this van, quote from the Ford dealer is $7,200 for a replacement transmission, seems awfully high. Thoughts? 3.5 EB V6.

BohCPdV.png

The labor to R&R the unit is killer on a Transit, Many transmission shops that won't touch one because the unit is so difficult to remove making a warranty repair painful.

Keep in mind, Dealers push factory remans once a vehicle is out of powertrain warranty....No matter what's actually wrong with the unit!!

The labor to R&R the unit is killer on a Transit, Many transmission shops that won't touch one because the unit is so difficult to remove making a warranty repair painful.

Keep in mind, Dealers push factory remans once a vehicle is out of powertrain warranty....No matter what's actually wrong with the unit!!

I’m too lazy to look it up. What is special/difficult about the transmission swap on Transits?

Seems like an awfully short life for a transmission. I thought only the transit connects were plagued with transmission issues.

I have about 30 vans in the fleet, about a 50/50 mix between Connects and fullsize Transits. This is the first transmission we've lost. In fairness, these are work vehicles that probably aren't treated the best and have a full payload. Sent a 2022 Connect with 88k to the auction a few weeks ago, head gasket was leaking and the dealer would only do a long block.

Previously had Expresses and E-series, they were good for 300k+, not sure the Transits will make it anywhere near that.

Still weirded out seeing a VIN that starts with an N.

I have about 30 vans in the fleet, about a 50/50 mix between Connects and fullsize Transits. This is the first transmission we've lost. In fairness, these are work vehicles that probably aren't treated the best and have a full payload. Sent a 2022 Connect with 88k to the auction a few weeks ago, head gasket was leaking and the dealer would only do a long block.

Previously had Expresses and E-series, they were good for 300k+, not sure the Transits will make it anywhere near that.

Still weirded out seeing a VIN that starts with an N.
My buddy sends me pictures all the time of full size transits that end up at their shop for basic maintenance stuff with crazy high miles. Last one he sent me a picture of had over 800k on it. Factory engine but transmission has been replaced. 3.7 V6 Think it was in for brakes or tires.

I know. You'd think people would have the sense to flush and fill the fluid at 60K, but they trust Ford marketing instead.
There are two design defects from the factory. Not amount of changing the fluid is going to help.
If you can't sleep at night-google "Ford F-150 Ten speed transmission issues".

There are two design defects from the factory. Not amount of changing the fluid is going to help.
If you can't sleep at night-google "Ford F-150 Ten speed transmission issues".
And there are also transmissions that fail due to lack of fluid change......just so ya know. I'm quite familiar with the Ford ten speed transmissions as two family members have them, one of those has almost 190K on it with no issues. (They also flush the fluid every 60K).

Back