2018 Toyota Camry - Redesigned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Why does everyone seem to hate CVT's?

I like them...at least the ones I've driven. The latest was a new-new Infinity QX60 (FWD-based Pathfinder) with the 3.5L V-6. I love the CVT's smoothness around town (see my previous posts regarding preferring smooth to not smooth). I like the general simplicity of them, and I like the fact that they can be manipulated with programming and manual control if that is offered on the vehicle (which I would want). Sometimes, I feel like running corners with the car singing along in 2nd or 3rd gear. A CVT won't allow me to do that unless it has paddle shifters which mimic stepped gears. Some decry that on a CVT. I always welcome the option for user control. Nobody has to use them, but they don't add any mechanical complexity (it's all electronic, anyway), and I like the ability to control the transmission and engine speed if I feel like it that day.

I haven't yet driven a Honda CVT, though I hear they're generally well-sorted. The CVTs I HAVE driven are a few from Nissan, one in an Escape Hybrid, and a Prius here or there. I generally like them.

Why does everyone seem to hate CVT's? I've only driven one, a 2009-era Nissan Altima 2.5L. I loved it, and it brought high-RPM power to nearly all driving conditions, as opposed to some vehicles where transmission gearing gave you the big middle finger for power, when you needed it at certain speeds. The CVT experience wasn't normal (sustained engine RPM) but wasn't bothersome either. Is there a durability issue with these? I've ridden in a newer Accord w/ 4 cyl. and CVT, but it seemed that car had pre-determined shift points instead of fixed RPM. As I look for a newer vehicle, I wonder about those with CVTs...

I haven't driven one, yet, so I've been trying not to comment. But I find unlocked torque convertors to be annoying, so wild guess says I'd find the rubber band effect even worse in a CVT.

I could be wrong, though. I've always said that if I couldn't hear the engine then I wouldn't care what the transmission was doing (apart from wear and tear fears).

The grill looks straight from the Lexus IS250.

Lexus-IS-F-Sport-IS-line-gallery-thumbnail-476x357-LEX-ISG-MY17-0036-02.jpg

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
The grill looks straight from the Lexus IS250.

Lexus-IS-F-Sport-IS-line-gallery-thumbnail-476x357-LEX-ISG-MY17-0036-02.jpg

how many bugs it is going to acquire on a drive? (southern)
how brittle is the plastic against mounds of frozen snow ? (northern)
where is my fishing rod and spices? (cajun)
Father, here i am ? (star wars universe)

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I like them...at least the ones I've driven. The latest was a new-new Infinity QX60 (FWD-based Pathfinder) with the 3.5L V-6. I love the CVT's smoothness around town (see my previous posts regarding preferring smooth to not smooth). I like the general simplicity of them, and I like the fact that they can be manipulated with programming and manual control if that is offered on the vehicle (which I would want). Sometimes, I feel like running corners with the car singing along in 2nd or 3rd gear. A CVT won't allow me to do that unless it has paddle shifters which mimic stepped gears. Some decry that on a CVT. I always welcome the option for user control. Nobody has to use them, but they don't add any mechanical complexity (it's all electronic, anyway), and I like the ability to control the transmission and engine speed if I feel like it that day.

I haven't yet driven a Honda CVT, though I hear they're generally well-sorted. The CVTs I HAVE driven are a few from Nissan, one in an Escape Hybrid, and a Prius here or there. I generally like them.

I had a 2016 Accord and Civic as rentals, both CVTs were nice but I worry about their reliability past the warranty.

Quote:

Can't speak for anyone else, but I just picked up a prius with and eCVT (totally different design than other mfg), but the driving dynamic that i find most irritating is there is no direct correlation between engine speed and vehicle speed, as there is on a manual or 'classic' automatic.

I can be driving and the engine rpm will not change and suddenly i am driving 5 or 10mph slower than what I was. I have to constantly monitor vehicle speed (looking down) because audible feedback from the RPM of the engine is useless; that is my dislike. JMO.

The level of bothersomeness (new word) cannot be understated.

Last edited:
IMO, the torque converter problem with their 6-speed programming is not on a moderate launch from a stop. It is:

1. After slowing down, instead of shifting down the programming simply unlocked the TC so you accelerate for an extended time with unlocked TC on a gear too high to have it locked.

2. Below about 50 MPH driving up any incline makes the TC unlock even though the driver did not push down the go pedal for more power.

I do also agree with Hokifyd that the up-shifts with locked TC came too soon when trying to accelerate. Those very low engine speeds are fine when little acceleration is needed, but when moderate acceleration is needed they choke the whole show. Pusing the go-pedal further down just made the TC stay unlocked altogether.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: supton
Ward's Link

Both the 2.5L and 3.5L will have direct injection.

Huh, it appears they have taken a page from their competitors, and might be using a lockup convertor in the automatic. Changes indeed. One of my major gripes about my Toyota automatics is the convertor programming; it seems to be rarely used, and grudgingly at that--it is quick to unlock and slow to lock.

Quote:
Hallmarks of the new 8AT include direct lockup from second through eighth gears, “eliminating power loss from the torque converter (and) executing shifts like a high-performance automated manual gearbox.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back