2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 Amsoil Signature 0w-40 7,700 miles, 43K

Status
Not open for further replies.
looks like this engine destroys these oils, yet consumes zero. don't like the higher Iron, but car is driven HARD. Fully stock so far.
I suspect i have wastegate rattle, otherwise runs good.
Current oil is Redline 0w-40

oil report.jpg

31 ppm of iron? Thats nearly double what your last run with Castrol was. Even look at the viscosity at 100C

These engines really dont like extended drain intervals.

31 ppm of iron? Thats nearly double what your last run with Castrol was. Even look at the viscosity at 100C

These engines really dont like extended drain intervals.
and ~8K is not even "extended". Ill run Redline 6-7K i wonder how it will perform

if anything this just proves there's no need to overspend/overthink your 0W-40 choices....grab Castrol when convenient and be done with it.

re: Iron, i take it this is a chain driven timing system? that might be the source of some steel, although i have no idea why Amsoil would present so much more than your Castrol runs. i'd probably settle on a 6k OCI given how this engine beats up the oil a bit.

Your engine seems to "like" the Castrol. Have you tried a 30 weight? It's pretty cold up there for a 40 weight.

I'm not familiar with this engine, other than what I've seen in car reviews on YT, so I can't really say what is and isn't "normal" for wear rates. This particular engine certainly sheds a lot of Fe. I had considered buying one of these cars, but new car pricing among other issues has made me reticent to open my wallet.

The second OCI report; should that be 3300 miles and not 4000? I think the math is bad on the OCI distance. That matters only in that the "wear rate" would be much higher per 1k miles.

There is zero ability here to say that one lube is "better" than another; far too little data to make any conclusion in such a manner.

Your engine seems to "like" the Castrol. Have you tried a 30 weight? It's pretty cold up there for a 40 weight.
That's what the 0W rating is for. Castrol EDGE 0W-40 has excellent cold flow properties, as seen below:

1642253533984.jpg

Reactions: FZ1
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back