2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 Castrol 0w-40 6,700 miles, 30K

Castrol(from amazon) did better than Liqui Molly( previous report), currently filled with Castrol, already have Amsoil and Redline in the garage, might swap out early.

q50 report.jpg

Most of the approved 0w40's perform similarly in that they drop to the 11 cSt range. You'll likely find the Red Line will maintain its viscosity better.

The Silver on your report is probably from solder joints in your oil cooler. The correct motor oil for your engine carriers an MB229.71 approval and is this: https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...s/our-products/products/mobil-1-esp-x2-0w-20/

Mobil 1 ESP 0W-20. Of course, if you prefer another brand that carries the same approval, then go for it. The ESP motor oils are somewhat more advanced than their ACEA A1 / A5 counterparts, as they have to pass more stringent manufacturer testing to obtain their approvals. The strongest oil in the ESP lineup is the 5W-30 with an HTHS of 3.5. There is also an ESP 0W-40, however, that one is not the European version, it's in fact the low SAPS version of Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 with Dexos 2 certification specifically blended for the Corvette. In Europe, Mobil has a different formulation and name for that oil, it's called Mobil 1 ESP X2 0W-40.

If you look at my signature, you'll see that I run 0W-40 motor oils in all my vehicles. In fact, only one vehicle is outside of the manufacturer's recommendation, and that's the RAM 1500. I'd like to keep the motor in it working fine and avoid hydraulic lifter issues for a long time, so that's why I'm running 0W-40 in it with Lubegard Bio/Tech added to it. Do I recommend you do this to your engine? Absolutely not. The 3.3 V6 in the 2017 SF was originally specked for a thick 5W-30 or 5W-40 oil. If I run a thin 5W-30 like Pennzoil Ultra Platinum then the engine will rattle at startup if it's been off for more than 10-12 hours. I believe that the locking pins inside the CVVT don't engage properly using a thinner oil and then when all the oil leaks out of them they move back and forth until the oil pump gets them filled up again. I didn't want to go with a 5W-40 because it's hard to find a good 5W-40 that's API SN rated and available at Walmart for $22~$23 per 5-quart jug. The Castrol 5W-40 US is not any better than the 0W-40, in fact, it might be a lesser oil.

I don't know enough about the VR30DDTT to say that you're going to be fine using non-approved motor oil. I know it has an oil cooler, so it keeps your motor oil at a pretty constant temperature. It may also have polymer-coated bearings and plasma-sprayed cylinder bores. What I'm trying to say is that it's a tightly packed high-tech engine. God knows if I had one of these I wouldn't experiment with motor oils in it. I would run the recommended MB229.71 approved 0W-20 motor oil. I also know that NISSAN/Infinity doesn't randomly pick motor oils for their high-end engines. For example, they recommend 0W-30/0W-40/5W-40 with MB229.5 approval for the 2.0T equipped Q50. I guess that motor is much harder on oil than the 3.0 twin turbo. Of course, take this advice for what it's worth, because, at the end of the day it's your vehicle and you're spending your hard-earned money on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Silver on your report is probably from solder joints in your oil cooler. The correct motor oil for your engine carriers an MB229.71 approval and is this: https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...s/our-products/products/mobil-1-esp-x2-0w-20/

Mobil 1 ESP 0W-20. Of course, if you prefer another brand that carries the same approval, then go for it. The ESP motor oils are somewhat more advanced than their ACEA A1 / A5 counterparts, as they have to pass more stringent manufacturer testing to obtain their approvals. The strongest oil in the ESP lineup is the 5W-30 with an HTHS of 3.5. There is also an ESP 0W-40, however, that one is not the European version, it's in fact the low SAPS version of Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 with Dexos 2 certification specifically blended for the Corvette. In Europe, Mobil has a different formulation and name for that oil, it's called Mobil 1 ESP X2 0W-40.

If you look at my signature, you'll see that I run 0W-40 motor oils in all my vehicles. In fact, only one vehicle is outside of the manufacturer's recommendation, and that's the RAM 1500. I'd like to keep the motor in it working fine and avoid hydraulic lifter issues for a long time, so that's why I'm running 0W-40 in it with Lubegard Bio/Tech added to it. Do I recommend you do this to your engine? Absolutely not. The 3.3 V6 in the 2017 SF was originally specked for a thick 5W-30 or 5W-40 oil. If I run a thin 5W-30 like Pennzoil Ultra Platinum then the engine will rattle at startup if it's been off for more than 10-12 hours. I believe that the locking pins inside the CVVT don't engage properly using a thinner oil and then when all the oil leaks out of them they move back and forth until the oil pump gets them filled up again. I didn't want to go with a 5W-40 because it's hard to find a good 5W-40 that's API SN rated and available at Walmart for $22~$23 per 5-quart jug. The Castrol 5W-40 US is not any better than the 0W-40, in fact, it might be a lesser oil.

I don't know enough about the VR30DDTT to say that you're going to be fine using non-approved motor oil. I know it has an oil cooler, so it keeps your motor oil at a pretty constant temperature. It may also have polymer-coated bearings and plasma-sprayed cylinder bores. What I'm trying to say is that it's a tightly packed high-tech engine. God knows if I had one of these I wouldn't experiment with motor oils in it. I would run the recommended MB229.71 approved 0W-20 motor oil. I also know that NISSAN/Infinity doesn't randomly pick motor oils for their high-end engines. For example, they recommend 0W-30/0W-40/5W-40 with MB229.5 approval for the 2.0T equipped Q50. I guess that motor is much harder on oil than the 3.0 twin turbo. Of course, take this advice for what it's worth, because, at the end of the day it's your vehicle and you're spending your hard-earned money on it.
interesting. Well, Castrol 0w-40 has MB229.5. Initial thoughts are that the 2.0 is a mercedes motor and 3.0 is home built. VR30 is much more like VR38 in GTR, AMSOIL 0w-40 is GT-R recommended and i'm running that next

interesting. Well, Castrol 0w-40 has MB229.5. Initial thoughts are that the 2.0 is a mercedes motor and 3.0 is home built. VR30 is much more like VR38 in GTR, AMSOIL 0w-40 is GT-R recommended and i'm running that next

Those were my thoughts as well. The VR38 has plasma coated cylinder bores, and while NISSAN doesn't say anything about the 3.0, it's a fair assumption that it has them as well. Getting 400 horse power out of a 3.0L motor puts some stress on the components.

NISSAN recommends Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 for the VR38 in the GTR. It's got the Nissan Performance Certification.

no idea, this will be short run, maybe 5k, ill put in AMSOIL next see how that goes

Regular AMSOIL Signature Series is meant more for long drain intervals, and while it's a high quality oil, I doubt it will do anything for you on a 5000 mile run. If you really want something that's a cut above try Red Line. However, go either with their 0W-20 for your engine, of if you don't want to stick with the recommend oil, then 5W-30 is your best bet. The Red Line 0W-40 might be too thick.

Those were my thoughts as well. The VR38 has plasma coated cylinder bores, and while NISSAN doesn't say anything about the 3.0, it's a fair assumption that it has them as well. Getting 400 horse power out of a 3.0L motor puts some stress on the components.

NISSAN recommends Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 for the VR38 in the GTR. It's got the Nissan Performance Certification.

Regular AMSOIL Signature Series is meant more for long drain intervals, and while it's a high quality oil, I doubt it will do anything for you on a 5000 mile run. If you really want something that's a cut above try Red Line. However, go either with their 0W-20 for your engine, of if you don't want to stick with the recommend oil, then 5W-30 is your best bet. The Red Line 0W-40 might be too thick.
0w-20 is the standard fill. i want something that can hold up better at higher temps, i drive hard all the **** time. 0w-40 is within recommended spec, i also have a case of redline 0w-40 waiting

0w-20 is the standard fill. i want something that can hold up better at higher temps, i drive hard all the **** time. 0w-40 is within recommended spec, i also have a case of redline 0w-40 waiting

Personally, I don't like to keep changing oils once I find something that works well for a particular motor. Well, Castrol 0W-40 is an excellent choice. Redline 0W-40 is much thicker, so you will get to a point where you can actually create damage with thicker oil. In that motor, I would stick with Castrol 0W-40, or if you want a hair thinner oil, then Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is a very good choice as well. It's your car, so ultimately you decide what's good for you.

Personally, I don't like to keep changing oils once I find something that works well for a particular motor. Well, Castrol 0W-40 is an excellent choice. Redline 0W-40 is much thicker, so you will get to a point where you can actually create damage with thicker oil. In that motor, I would stick with Castrol 0W-40, or if you want a hair thinner oil, then Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is a very good choice as well. It's your car, so ultimately you decide what's good for you.
right, im in the process of figuring out what oil works best

right, im in the process of figuring out what oil works best

Castrol EDGE 0W-40 + 15 oz. Lubegard Bio/Tech. Your engine will love it, and you can focus on other more important things ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The VR30DDTT in Q50/Q60 3.0t is very similar to the VR38DETT in Nissan GT-R which is also recommended with 0w-40. I have a G37 with 81k miles now, and I just switch from Pennzoil 5w-30 to Mobil 1 0w-40. I already ran about 400 miles into the new oil, and the engine feels a little more aggressive compared to the 5w-30. However, the VVEL ticking noise is significantly reduced with this 0w-40.

The VR30DDTT in Q50/Q60 3.0t is very similar to the VR38DETT in Nissan GT-R which is also recommended with 0w-40. I have a G37 with 81k miles now, and I just switch from Pennzoil 5w-30 to Mobil 1 0w-40. I already ran about 400 miles into the new oil, and the engine feels a little more aggressive compared to the 5w-30. However, the VVEL ticking noise is significantly reduced with this 0w-40.
Not to bump the old thread but are you still on 0w40 since the post? How's it been for ya?

Back