2018 Honda Pilot - 9150miles on 0W-20 Mobil 1 EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Do you honestly believe there is any meaningful difference running any of these oils in a Honda V6? I changed it just to flush the engine one more time, have a buttload of 5W-30 PP and I just happened to be at 20K so it's easy to remember 5k OCIs.
You are introducing new variables at each OCI. If the wear metals improve dramatically on the next UOA, you won't know if it was due to the oil or the fact that maybe the engine is finally broken in.

The wear metals either are or aren't going to come down and I think it has little to do with which oil is used. It may have something to do with the volume of oil that goes through the engine and if this is the case I should be seeing a reduction soon. If wear metals do not come down eventually the only thing that makes sense is there is some problem with the engine - a problem that will not be helped by any specific type of oil or any volume of oil.

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
The wear metals either are or aren't going to come down and I think it has little to do with which oil is used. It may have something to do with the volume of oil that goes through the engine and if this is the case I should be seeing a reduction soon. If wear metals do not come down eventually the only thing that makes sense is there is some problem with the engine - a problem that will not be helped by any specific type of oil or any volume of oil.
Per my original response below, you may need to wait a while beyond 25k to get a true picture of what is going on here. Our wear metals on the Accord dropped by half between 25 and 34k. Like you, we bumped it up to 5w-30 after two consecutive poor UOAs, but that may not have been necessary. We'll be switching back to the 0w-20 once the weather turns cold. That being said, the results of the next UOA might change the plan going forward next spring.
Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
Our 2016 Accord with the 2.4 liter Earth Dreams also showed high wear metals at 15 and 25k using M1 0w-20 EP. We cut the next OCI back to 8k in order to align it with Blackstone's universal averages for this engine. At nearly 34k the wear metals fell in line with the universal averages. The short OCIs you are suggesting don't make sense with high quality synthetic oils. Do your flush with the Ravenol for at least 5k and then revert back to the M1 EP for 10k and test again. Who knows, maybe these new Hondas just take a little longer to break in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back