2017 Solar Eclipse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a total eclipse in 1959 my father did the pinhole so what we saw was a shadow. I saw another in 1970, It freaked the birds.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Welder's lens won't protect you.

No. 12 and up, 14, being the darkest, is preferable.

Why wouldn't they protect me? Did you ever see a welding arc?

My understanding, too, was that a shade 12 or darker was the equivalent of whatever ISO certification was required in the glasses.

Don't really give a rat's arse about it. I'll step out to see the 80 or 90% dimming but that's about it.

And oh the gridlock! Missouri has set up mobil command centers. Guess to be prepared.
Not to mention a target rich environment for terrorists.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Welder's lens won't protect you.
I've been using a #14 (black hole) now for a few decades with no issues. A welders glass is a quality piece and must meet some very stringent standards. Quite a bit unlike the cheap glasses being sold.

Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia
I really hope the 2nd coming is very soon too.
Christians in the first century AD believed they would see the second coming.
Especially Paul . Predictions come and go, come and go and nothing happens. And it's NOT going to happen. This is fertile ground
thankyou2.gif
for charlatans. Every century produces several of them. Don't go giving all your possessions away, put on a white nightgown and ascend the highest mountain awaiting for the seven vials to be poured out. Not going to happen. If you have good stuff, let me know. I'll arrange pickup.
thankyou2.gif

I don't understand why folks are getting all worked up over this.
I see all the traffic jams, price gouging for rooms and food,etc.
I guess people just want to say they were a part of something.
All for 2 minutes of a little less light.
Big deal.

All to their own, 69. If you don't like it, thats fine. However, this is a tremendously significant celestial event, the likes of which won't be seen again for decades. I have tried to foster my childrens interst in science. My middle daughter is a Senior Mechanical Engineering student, and will graduate near the top of her class. She is all over this, as I am.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
However, this is a tremendously significant celestial event, the likes of which won't be seen again for decades. I have tried to foster my childrens interst in science. My middle daughter is a Senior Mechanical Engineering student, and will graduate near the top of her class. She is all over this, as I am.

What makes the event "tremendously significant" as opposed to being "not very frequent" ?

It's like saying that being born in the period where a clock's big and little and second hand are at the "12" position is significant, except being born in such a period you get to see that twice a day (if you are so inclined).

The fact that the placement and size of these objects allows for what we see (with calculable repeatability, thus the clock reference), is what's of astounding significance.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
All to their own, 69. If you don't like it, thats fine. However, this is a tremendously significant celestial event, the likes of which won't be seen again for decades. I have tried to foster my childrens interst in science. My middle daughter is a Senior Mechanical Engineering student, and will graduate near the top of her class. She is all over this, as I am.

Or at least not until 2024 here in Southern IL.

It's significant for people in the United States because it will be visible to them. Not everyone can afford to "eclipse chase" to other parts of the globe to view one, so it really is a once in a lifetime occurrence for most people.

To me it's amazing science, and the fact that for everything to line up the way it does on Earth to actually have total solar eclipses (they don't happen on other planets), it's somewhat spiritual. For me, it reminds me how infinitesimal I am in the grand scheme of the universe.

http://mashable.com/2017/08/18/only-earth-can-see-total-solar-eclipse/#FcCuJMbbwiqn

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
What makes the event "tremendously significant" as opposed to being "not very frequent" ?

Biochemical holograms we call "thoughts" and "emotions". :^)

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Here is a zoomable google map with the exact times of the eclipse for any point on the map. Ahhhhhh, I want to take the drive so bad into Nebraska but I'm too hesitant knowing the traffic/gas situation will be a huge factor in safely getting there and back.

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html

I am like in the sweet spot here in KC! the southern part of KC gets shorted, they get a partial.

The bad news is clouds. They are saying clouds then maybe storms.

Last edited:
Look folks, go enjoy yet another wonder of God's marvelous creation if you can!

I'm very much looking forward to it. I also get to miss most of the nasty traffic (I HOPE) by going back roads to work which is the total darkness zone at roughly 2:33pm. Yes, I have my ISO glasses (was free to me).

the fact that for everything to line up the way it does on Earth to actually have total solar eclipses (they don't happen on other planets), it's somewhat spiritual. For me, it reminds me how infinitesimal I am in the grand scheme of the universe.

That's the part that really gets me into deep thought places too.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
the fact that for everything to line up the way it does on Earth to actually have total solar eclipses (they don't happen on other planets), it's somewhat spiritual. For me, it reminds me how infinitesimal I am in the grand scheme of the universe.

That's the part that really gets me into deep thought places too.

It's a great example of why so many things around us are not just random "coincidences", but rather by design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back