2017 Solar Eclipse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Gebo
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
The solar eclipse event of 2017 has been canceled by Jeff Bezos. Sorry folks.

I'm holding President Trump and Russia responsible.
spankme2.gif
spankme2.gif
spankme2.gif

Kim Jong Un is going to claim that the Sun disappeared over the US because he nuked it!!!

Do you plan on watching the solar eclipse? Do you believe old wives tale about damaging your eyes by watching solar eclipse?

If all "Don't do that, you will go blind" tales were true, all the teenage boys would be blind :)

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Do you plan on watching the solar eclipse? Do you believe old wives tale about damaging your eyes by watching solar eclipse?

If all "Don't do that, you will go blind" tales were true, all the teenage boys would be blind :)

Watch it without proper eye protection and see how that works out for ya.
wink.gif

We all looked at the sun as kids and teenagers without ill effect.

eclipse is a different matter as it's darkening, as you iris doesn't close in the manner it would if you were to look at the sun. Also full sun becomes pretty uncomfortable pretty quick, so viewing time is seconds.

Look into the sun for 5 seconds or more and you can do serious damage to the retina. They are warning people all over the news, but there will still be people that don't listen. Even using the wrong viewing glasses can cause eye damage.

I am now headed back to SE TX, making my way south from PE, VA, and WVA. I will stay north of Knoxville the day before, then travel the backroads into east TN, or wherever the forecast is clearest. If possible I will shoot for 30 miles east of Athens TN, away from the crowds.

I live very close to the totality line. Ill be moving a few miles north to get in the area.
Not going too far, I am expecting massive gridlock.

Plus the price gouging on eclipse glasses has started.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/143-7513509-1253635?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=eclipse+glasses

I work at a secret secure location right inside the area of totality right off the Pellissippi Parkway.
I get the pleasure of being at work that day with my special glasses to watch the event (~55 seconds for me) of a lifetime.

I'm not going anywhere near I-75 or I-40 that day! It's going to be nuts or so all the local news stations are reporting.

Originally Posted By: quint
Staying in Gatlinburg, which I think is in the 99.9% coverage range. Depending on traffic we plan to try to watch from Cades Cove, or if we cant get close enough we'll park somewhere up in the hills a little south where its 100%. It just happens to be my big 5-0 that day so I consider this a divine birthday present from the solar system.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a clear sky so we can at least see some of it!

CC would be a great place to watch it if it weren't for a million other people who had the same idea!

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/sol...oom=13&LC=1

Originally Posted By: TMoto
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
We are driving fifty miles to the south to York, Nebraska so we will have 2:34 minutes of totality. That is if US-81 is not bumper to bumper. NWS says Monday should be sunny and clear.

Isn't York a town off I-80 with a water tower painted like a hot air balloon? I visit family every year in Cedar Rapids, IA and pass by that water tower. Brings a little color to the drive. Yes, their water tower is a very attractive sight

Enjoy the day!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back