2017 Solar Eclipse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will watch it..privately. I hosted a public event at a local library for the Venus transit and was mobbed. > 300 people+kids showed up! It was screaming HOT out and I grew faint due to over-exposure.

This time, it'll be nice to notice the drop in temperture over time and record it on the weather station.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
The solar eclipse event of 2017 has been canceled by Jeff Bezos. Sorry folks.

I'm holding President Trump and Russia responsible.
spankme2.gif
spankme2.gif
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
The solar eclipse event of 2017 has been canceled by Jeff Bezos. Sorry folks.

I'm holding President Trump and Russia responsible.
spankme2.gif
spankme2.gif
spankme2.gif

No, it's really Milo's fault.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I will watch it..privately. I hosted a public event at a local library for the Venus transit and was mobbed. > 300 people+kids showed up! It was screaming HOT out and I grew faint due to over-exposure.

This time, it'll be nice to notice the drop in temperture over time and record it on the weather station.

What's the eclipse supposed to be like here in Tx?

I took the day off. I live just outside the zone of totality, so I'm driving maybe 30 minutes south if I don't just stay at my MIL's house Sunday night to watch it.

Wonder how many people will smoke their eyes because they trusted a fake ISO number printed on their supposedly safe viewing glasses.

Will get 100% totality in Columbia, MO. Also have a 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse as a daily driver. And it is... the color black. Viewing from my back yard hopefully.

We are driving fifty miles to the south to York, Nebraska so we will have 2:34 minutes of totality. That is if US-81 is not bumper to bumper. NWS says Monday should be sunny and clear.

I think it's supposed to be around 92% here in Denver. I'm doing nothing other than step outside for a few minutes to observe.

The state of Wyoming's population is expected to double for the event with I-25 anticipated being jammed from all the traffic. I'm told rooms were sold out five years ago in Casper. A co-worker was considering driving up and staying with a friend in Casper until he found out last week that the grocery stores were already sold out and the place is a zoo. They raised the price of gas by $2.00 to around $5.00 a gallon to slow down the usage to no avail, gas stations are empty. At least that's what I heard through the grapevine.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
We are driving fifty miles to the south to York, Nebraska so we will have 2:34 minutes of totality. That is if US-81 is not bumper to bumper. NWS says Monday should be sunny and clear.

Isn't York a town off I-80 with a water tower painted like a hot air balloon? I visit family every year in Cedar Rapids, IA and pass by that water tower. Brings a little color to the drive.

Enjoy the day!!

You can test the glasses apparently; they should be pitch black unless you look directly at a very bright light, like the filament of a lightbulb, and the light should be very dim.

I'll be at work. But will go outside for awhile to see (union worker), and when the lighting dims I'll figure it's time to go to sleep.

The best view of the eclipse (viewing into the sun) will probably be live TV coverage with special camera equipment.

Good luck to you all - I made a special effort to go see the 1999 eclipse in south-western UK. It was totally worth it - an enduring memory that I cherish. IMHO 99% coverage is nowhere near 99% of the experience of totality.

I was on a headland on the coast, I set up a video camera to record us looking at the sun, so it was filming us and our surroundings. On watching the footage back you can pretty much see the umbra approaching us across the sea and then leaving again at the end. We never saw this at the time as we were focused on the sun itself. And yes, the gulls did go quiet - it was an eery, beautiful, engaging experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back