2017 Mazda cx5 oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
I don’t know what the difference is between the 108 and the 108A which is on my CX5 at the moment but the available space for anything larger is not there due to the resin access panel.

Is there really any benefit of running a bigger filter other than the sense it is better because it’s bigger?

I believe the “A” is for “Annual Protection” which is the latest iteration of the filter AFAIK.

Additionally even if there is room for the larger filter I’d strongly caution against going off catalog under warranty. In the unlikely event something happens it could definitely be an issue.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I don’t know what the difference is between the 108 and the 108A which is on my CX5 at the moment but the available space for anything larger is not there due to the resin access panel.

Is there really any benefit of running a bigger filter other than the sense it is better because it’s bigger?

I believe the “A” is for “Annual Protection” which is the latest iteration of the filter AFAIK.

Additionally even if there is room for the larger filter I’d strongly caution against going off catalog under warranty. In the unlikely event something happens it could definitely be an issue.

I agree. Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted By: Saul
Mazda cannot tell you that you MUST use a specific filter or oil. You warranty cannot be voided because you choose to use a filter other than OEM. That is NOT AT ALL how it works.

With that said, Idemtisu is on clearance at Advance Auto for $3.95 a jug, check the Sales section of this forum.

Exactly, and if they do, they must supply you with a free lifetime of filters. This is federal law I do believe.

Higher holding capacity and more filtering media. But on a new car, it doesn't really matter, the insides should be spotless anyway. I use the oversize filter on my Tacoma simply because it then takes an even 6 quarts every change. Otherwise I have an unopen half quart laying around for 6 more months and it starts leaking which I hate so this is why the oversize filter gets used! Every other vehicle gets the regular size what the book calls for filter however. But, they all have an even amount of oil that goes in as well.

Originally Posted By: jongies3

Higher holding capacity and more filtering media. But on a new car, it doesn't really matter, the insides should be spotless anyway. I use the oversize filter on my Tacoma simply because it then takes an even 6 quarts every change. Otherwise I have an unopen half quart laying around for 6 more months and it starts leaking which I hate so this is why the oversize filter gets used! Every other vehicle gets the regular size what the book calls for filter however. But, they all have an even amount of oil that goes in as well.

I don’t have to worry too much about the half quart left over. The 108A maybe holds a half a cup of oil.

I still prefer the OEM Skyactiv specific oil filter. I bought a 10 pack on eBay and it came out super cheap per filter and free delivery to my door step. Can't beat that, sorry fellas.

Yea there is room for the little longer M1-110A. Same but just a little longer. Will not come close to the access panel.

Originally Posted by yamazy
I've been using WIX 57002,planning change to Fram XG6607.

Will the XG7317 fit?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by yamazy
I've been using WIX 57002,planning change to Fram XG6607.

Will the XG7317 fit?
smile.gif

The 7317 is about 3/4" longer than the 6607. The bypass pressure is the same. The gasket dimensions are a tiny bit different -with no impact on seating or sealing.

I replaced the 6607 in my 2018 Mazda 3 with a 7317. Hasn't blown-up yet -and don't suspect it will.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back