2017 Honda Ridgeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
my 2010 Pilot needed $100 pumpkin oil every 30K, ate tires, 6-4-3 gizmo really needed to be disabled and got 11 mpg in the cold wind.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The differential fluid is $100?
That is a lot.

Is it? 30kmiles at what, 15c/m depreciation? that would be much more.

When I owned my VW the oil I bought was about $9/L, and I used 5L. Throw in a filter and I was around $50 every 10kmiles. I didn't care as I was getting good mpg (and I liked the car) and... oil is cheap.

I agree its a bit expensive, and truck spec to truck spec it falls behind the regular pickups.
But it offers a better ride and is quieter, its also shorter than many of them which helps in the city. I also believe its basically got a full size truck passenger space too. If that's worth nothing to you, then its not for you. If it is, then atleast the truck exists and someone can buy it.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I agree its a bit expensive, and truck spec to truck spec it falls behind the regular pickups.
But it offers a better ride and is quieter, its also shorter than many of them which helps in the city. I also believe its basically got a full size truck passenger space too. If that's worth nothing to you, then its not for you. If it is, then atleast the truck exists and someone can buy it.

Which is why the Jalopnik quote fits. If you want the ride, buy an top-trim Accord... or better yet, the mid-trim and then have $8K in the bank to use $20 per day UHaul Rentals rentals every Saturday for 7.7 years!

Need Ult space in the City, go with a Fit... or Transit. Or [censored] off an uber driver by filling his Passat with mulch.

"Bro" trucks or any real non-purpose, commute only image trucks drive me nuts, but the Ridgeline is the worse. The truck market is not hard to figure out but Honda is going out of its way to try and change a very conservative segment. However, the other trucks at 40K (save for true HD users) are irrational vehicles for irrational people (just as my coupe is an irrational family hauler for an irrational father), but this is designed to go after the "rational" Honda buyer with an irrational choice. You normally do not include the terms "HEMI" and "cost/benefit analysis" in the same sentence.

Last edited:
^^^^Anybody who buys more than an econobox and doesn't need it is an irrational decision. There is absolutely no reason for a Mustang, Charger, Corvette, etc. Those are completely irrational and serve zero purpose. At least a truck you can do some work with it if need be, even if just a homeowner going to Lowes on the weekend.

But people love to to say truck owners are irrational. Find me an article about car owners being irrational.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Sometimes I like to do the math.

Yes, the trucks were 4 door equivalent options with a few add-ons etc, not the stripper single cabs. Maybe the Chevy is a little under estimated as I assumed they would discount it a bit more than others. Otherwise you could possibly get the frontier for under $19K. I kept the 4-bangers in the list because a lot of folks say they do not need the "pull" and go squint-eye when you compare it to a I4. Well, if you don't need it...

Still, the point is that the LEAST expensive starts at $29,400+900 Dest. That is my problem. 10K towing is not necessary but if you are spending 30K+, then dang, might as well right?

As for the snow... I guess if it is flat in your parts, then Hondas AWD will not let you down but on my hills, you don't want it. We don't get the accumulation but we get a lot of small events and ice (FYI we just got snow not to far from us this week).

Then again, the Honda is specing at $33K for AWD. Nissan sits at $26KL with a V6 and 4WD, About $28-30K for the Chevy. To put this in perspective, the AWD Ridgeline STARTS where the Accord tops out at with the Touring ($34K). Then I will hear that "It is a truck" but then I will say, not really. If you are charging $30K for the FWD vs $5-10K less for the RWD, that is a valid consideration for those living in the "atlanta suburbs".

If the Ridgeline uses a system similar to the CR-V it will go very well in snow and ice, hills or no hills. We don't get a lot of accumulation here in my part of the state along the VA/NC border near Greensboro. However, we have had it in far southwest VA, western NC, and east TN and I have been very impressed with its performance. It is even more impressive on ice.

UHaul rents trucks for $20/day? I should look into that. It's only about 30 miles to get to a UHaul with trucks, and 30 miles back home; but as long as it's unlimited mileage in that $20 that shouldn't be an issue.

Which is why the Jalopnik quote fits. If you want the ride, buy an top-trim Accord... or better yet, the mid-trim and then have $8K in the bank to use $20 per day UHaul Rentals rentals every Saturday for 7.7 years!

Need Ult space in the City, go with a Fit... or Transit. Or [censored] off an uber driver by filling his Passat with mulch.

"Bro" trucks or any real non-purpose, commute only image trucks drive me nuts, but the Ridgeline is the worse. The truck market is not hard to figure out but Honda is going out of its way to try and change a very conservative segment. However, the other trucks at 40K (save for true HD users) are irrational vehicles for irrational people (just as my coupe is an irrational family hauler for an irrational father), but this is designed to go after the "rational" Honda buyer with an irrational choice. You normally do not include the terms "HEMI" and "cost/benefit analysis" in the same sentence.

I don't think there's anything irrational about the Ridgeline, it just meets a unique set of needs. Pickup bed, quiet, drives like a car, tows 5k, AWD, is a honda, mid 20's hwy mpg?.
Personally I'd probably take a mid-size SUV with a utility trailer over the Ridgeline, but a pickup bed does have some advantages.
Its probably the perfect second pickup for a horse lady, who doesn't want to navigate the 1 ton dually everywhere, but still goes to the farm supply on the way home from work.

Vehicles for consumers are neither rational or irrational. It's about the automaker producing what the buyer wants....or creating a niche the buyer will fill.

Besides, nothing "rational" about comparing an Accord to a Ridgeline.

Is it "rational" for you to own those vehicles in your signature? A person only "needs" one vehicle and could sell the rest and use the money to call Uber or an occasional rental. You'd save upkeep, storage space, insurance, fuel, ....etc.

I don't particularly like the new Ridgeline. I think Honda missed the mark in attracting new buyers (much needed) to the pickup line. I'm sure it's a fine vehicle and does as promised very well. But so did the last model....and sales were less than ideal. I'll bet Honda will have caused itself to be out of the pickup market within a few years. They needed to build a vehicle more in line with the segment itself. More durable looking, better clearance, better off-road capability, more power available, better towing, etc.

Just my opinion from a very satisfied Ridgeline owner.

I think a used Ridgeline or '05-06 Tundra doublecab is a perfect family hauler for camping trips. More cargo space than a SUV and perfectly capable to tow a modest camping trailer or boat, etc.

A good value for $12k or so.

$40k new? That's a waste unless that vehicle makes you money and you can write off the cost.

I hope it doesn't have the same wind and road noise of the Accord Sport or its bad paint
smile.gif

Honda has gone down hill..........

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I hope it doesn't have the same wind and road noise of the Accord Sport or its bad paint
smile.gif

Honda has gone down hill..........

I feel like they went downhill a few years ago and recovered nicely with most of their current lineup. I love the new Accord sedans. I would love one as my next car. I drove a base model with a 6MT and I thought it offered a lot for its sticker price. The new Civic is just awesome.. We'll see about the new Ridgeline when it hits lots.

Originally Posted By: supton
UHaul rents trucks for $20/day? I should look into that. It's only about 30 miles to get to a UHaul with trucks, and 30 miles back home; but as long as it's unlimited mileage in that $20 that shouldn't be an issue.
Plus $0.59 per mile

Originally Posted By: dblshock
you can buy alot of fuel for the price of a belt replacement or two...I'd lean toward a Tundra on that alone.

I spent $600 at local Acura dealer for an Acura MDX timing belt change similar engine. The Honda dealers actually charged more and did not wash/vacuum vehicle and offer a nice Acura loaner for day.

On pumpkin every 30k not likely valid anymore. My mdx has only shown a code once over 75k to change diff fluid which was $80 at dealer however my local mechanic did for $12 labor during $28 oil change when I supplied the $40 in fluid/crush washers.

Does the Toyota no longer use a timing belt? My parents 2000 tundra v8 had a timing belt that was changed when they replaced a minor item
smile.gif
the frame!

No, Tundra dropped the timing belt. Don't remember when the 3.4 was dropped (don't think it was ever used in the Tundra); the 4.0 V6 was always a chain. The 4.7L used a belt, and the 4.7L was used through 2009, even on Gen 2. The 5.7 was always chain, when introduced in 2007 for the 2nd gen. In 2010 the 4.7 was replaced by the 4.6L V8, which is a stepchild of the 5.7, and which uses a chain.

Ward's "Ridgeline all the truck most need"

Quote:
When the first-generation Honda Ridgeline came out 11 years ago, it was a definite oddity in the U.S. automotive world. A unibody pickup competing in a segment where every entrant was body-on-frame?

And not only was its construction unique, so was its appearance: bulky and angular and curves and bump outs.

The competition sniffed, “Not a real truck.”

Buyers were unsure, too.

While roughly 50,000 Ridgelines were sold in the U.S. in 2006, the truck’s first full year on the market, volume dropped below 20,000 later in its lifecycle. Honda pulled the plug on the truck in 2014, two years ahead of a replacement.

Quote:
With statistics showing just 3% of midsize-pickup drivers tow – and most tow less than 5,000 lbs. (2,268 kg), the Ridgeline’s max – the Honda pickup is all the truck most Americans ever will need.

Quote:
The V-6 is paired with a 6-speed automatic transmission, which has a 20% wider gear-ratio spread than the outgoing Ridgeline’s 5-speed automatic for improved acceleration and fuel efficiency. While the Pilot uses a 9-speed auto, Honda officials here believe pickup buyers don’t want or need more than six gears.

Although we liked it last year in our test of the Pilot, the 9-speed automatic from supplier ZF has its share of detractors, probably another reason Honda chose the 6AT.

Quote:
Ridgeline AWD fuel economy rises 4 mpg (1.7 km/L) combined to 21 mpg (11.2 L/100 km).

In real world driving, we do even better on our mid-speed, low-traffic routes in a fully loaded AWD Black Edition grade, earning 26.6 mpg (8.8 L/100 km) in one jaunt and 30.1 mpg (7.8 L/100 km) in another.

Quote:
Despite torque peaking at a relatively high 4,700 rpm, there’s no lack of mid-range power.

So much agenda going on there.

Don't they realize that the very argument they put forward to convince traditional pickup owners to drop their trucks for a Ridgeline, is the same argument that causes those abandoning their pickups to go straight to a minivan and skip the Ridgeline entirely?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back