2017 Honda CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's still a good oil for LSPI, low Ca and I've run it in my 1.5T in fact I've ran 5/40 no problem either...fuel efficiency was even on par.

Originally Posted By: dblshock

honda has a 0/20 semi

Do you have a link to it? Here at the Acura dealer, all we have is 0W20 Full Synthetic. The 5W20 is semi.

Edit: I don't think they do.

http://www.honda.ca/parts-service/parts/oil-and-fluids?gclid=CPXflqzAn9MCFZaNswodw-0GNA

Quote:
0W-20 Engine Oil – Now and for the Future
Honda 0W-20 engine oil is a full synthetic formula that provides advanced protection against oil breakdown for a cleaner running engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
The dealer 5W20 is semi synthetic, the 0W20 is synthetic. Don't think there is such a thing as semi synthetic 0W20.

2iidi4y.jpg

That is a discontinued product as far as I can tell.

that's what I saw at the dealer...surprised too at semi 0/20..anyway, I really don't like anything x/20

that's what I saw at the dealer...surprised too at semi 0/20..anyway, I really don't like anything x/20

Must be a US only thing then. We do not have that in Canada. Full synthetic only.

This is the only version of 0W20 we get.

Last edited:
Not sure how common they are, but there seem to be more and more 0W20 blends floating around. I think there's a Pennzoil Gold, Quaker State and a Havoline 0W20 that I can think of. I think they're common dexos applications.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

no Honda/Acura HTO-06 spec on this 0/20 Penzooil

According to the Pennzoil website, 0W20 Platinum doesn't have it, either.
But, that is an old spec that was basically crafted for a single Acura engine over 10 years ago...and that doesn't address LSPI at all (that 2.3l was not a DIT engine).

Yeah. I don't get why it's that big a concern meeting an old spec that was targeted for a single turbo engine. A CR-V is hardly an engine that highly stresses motor oil.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

Yeah. I don't get why it's that big a concern meeting an old spec that was targeted for a single turbo engine. A CR-V is hardly an engine that highly stresses motor oil.

Well, we are talking about a 1.5l turbo here...one that makes 190HP, 127HP/liter (just a tad higher than my FXT at 125HP/liter).
I think that HTO-06 is largely obsolete, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable running a dexos1 Gen2 and/or GF6 (whenever that comes online) oil in a little DIT making that much power per liter.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
What does the owner's manual say? I'd at least think an HTO-6 spec oil is needed.

The mobil1 extended performance sae 5w30 meet HTO-6
I think you should try mobil1 annual protection the new one

But, that is an old spec that was basically crafted for a single Acura engine over 10 years ago...and that doesn't address LSPI at all (that 2.3l was not a DIT engine).

The website may have not been updated, but look at a recent thread of mine where I posted the picture of the HTO-6 spec Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 that just went in my Accord the other day. Also that is a very stringent spec that I am sure still has merit today.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

The top level engine in the CRV is a 1.5 turbo. So it will certainly be more stressed than say a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

The website may have not been updated, but look at a recent thread of mine where I posted the picture of the HTO-6 spec Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 that just went in my Accord the other day. Also that is a very stringent spec that I am sure still has merit today.

I'd like to see that print.

I'd like to see that print.

me too...thought hto-06 was only spec'd for 5w30

In all practicality, I wonder if the HTO-06 spec does much. I used those oils for six years in my 2008 Mazdaspeed3 (DI/turbo) and it burned up any oil I put in it after a couple thousand miles. I don't care what Oil you used in that engine, it just flat burned it up. The 2.5% fuel dilution by 3000 miles didn't help.

Every engine is different. You need to use common sense and react to what it's telling you, not just blindly follow a spec.

The top level engine in the CRV is a 1.5 turbo. So it will certainly be more stressed than say a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder.

I'll say it's highly stressed. The MS3 above puts out 116 hp/L. This Honda gives you 126.
So it would be prudent to follow all manufacturer recommendations but reduce OCI during breakin, document all oil changes, then get a couple of lab tests done with TBN. Then you'll know where you are.

What oil does a CLA45 use? That is making 355 from a 2.0T, and more importantly 332 lb.ft.

Edit: Looks like it just calls for a 5W30 that meets 229.5.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
What oil does a CLA45 use? That is making 355 from a 2.0T, and more importantly 332 lb.ft.

Edit: Looks like it just calls for a 5W30 that meets 229.5.

Must be 229.5, probably Mobil1 0W40.
1.5 turbo? Anything ACEA A3/B3 B4.

Originally Posted By: Bojangles98
Honda's 0-20 is a full synthetic. Great stuff-never any issues and a typical oil change at the dealer is as cheap as anywhere.

Full synthetic oil change and filter in my drive way are under $30 is Honda really cheaper than that?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back