2011 Honda CR-Z 220k miles- oil/maint. recommendatons?

My son just picked up a 2011 CR-Z 6spd manual as a commuter car. He drives a lot, over 30k per year, and got a good deal on this due to mileage, over 220k. It is a hybrid.

For the Honda fans out there, what are your maintenance recommendations, and if known, weaknesses in the platform that should be addressed at this mileage?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Given the car has 220K miles on it from who knows whatever maintenance it's had on it, I'd just stick to a good synthetic 0W-30 / 5W-30 oil and decent filter.

The 1.5L is actually a pretty solid engine. I've been around Honda a long time and I'm not sure that I ever remember hearing of the IMA battery needing to be replaced in a CR-Z. I'm not sure that you need to do anything special. Keep up on maintenance and it should be good. The 6 speed manual is a great option- should be lots of fun without having too much fun. Overall, it should be a pretty reliable car, but 220k is no small amount, so just make sure he's keeping an eye on things. Might be worth getting underneath it and checking bushings, checking for leaks/seepage, etc.

I bought a 2011 CR-Z (CVT auto) for my daughter a couple years ago. It now has 120k miles on it, no issues at all so far. I try to do an oil change twice a year on it, and don’t pay attention to the miles since it’s short-tripped to death. I use 0W-20, but would switch to a 0W-30 at high mileage (maybe 200k). The hybrid battery is still good.

Last edited:
Follow the maintenance minder. If you got a CarFax, what intervals did the previous owner(s) use ?

Agree with Hall, 0/5w-20 and follow the maintenance minder. Honda’s maintenance minder also tells you when air , cabin filter, transmission, coolant and brake fluids need changing. Also spark plus and valve adjustments too. It’s very well programmed for your 2011.

Back